States Recognizing TN Permits (Reciprocity) With Links

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2015 at 0:31 PM, Will said:

IL would be a nice state if you did not have to drive through Chicago Or Springfield to get to it. A lot of hunters and shooters and most of the state has the

best deer,upland and waterfowl hunting in the states. It is a shame a handful of libs turned the state the way it is and a shame all the good people let it happen.

At least it is starting to go in a better direction. Maybe we can get a nationwide carry and  not have to check each state when we travel.

You are dead on about the hunting in Illinois. I grew up in Illinois the 1st  17 years of my life and was born there. That was before they reopened the deer season so I never got to hnt them but I hunted any and all small game they had a season for which began with Squirrel and Dove in September and then hunter Rabbit and Ducks, Geese, woodcock, and from age 10 till we moved to Tennessee at age 17 I kept our freezers full of fresh wild game and in summer I filled them with fish. I have a friend that I grew up with and did all my hunting and fishing with and he said the laws have become so that it is almost impossible for anyone even living in the state to jump through the hoops just to be able to hunt.

• 3 months later...

I think I got everything updated correctly now on the OP...

Reciprocity

Recognition of Out-of-State Handgun Carry Permits

Tennessee now recognizes a facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit, or a license issued by another state according to its terms, and will, therefore, authorize the holder of such out-of-state permit or license to carry a handgun only in the state of Tennessee.

The person must be in possession of the permit or license at all times such person carries a handgun in Tennessee.

Tennessee will enter into written reciprocity agreements with other states that require the execution of such agreements.

If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, such person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee.

All applicants, regardless of permits issued by another state, will be processed as originals. The applicant must be twenty-one (21) or  is at least eighteen (18) years of age, and is an honorably discharged or retired veteran of the United States Armed Forces or is a member of the United States Armed Forces on active duty status and includes with the application a certified copy of the applicant’s certificate of release or discharge from active duty (DD214) or includes with the application a military identification card as proof that the applicant is on active duty member of the military, take a DOS approved handgun safety course, complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, pay the fee, and be fingerprinted.

Licensing requirements are not included in the reciprocity agreements between states. The mutual recognition of handgun possession privileges between states has not changed and is listed on this website.

A facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit or license issued by another state shall be valid in this state according to its terms and shall be treated as if it is a handgun permit issued by this state; provided, however, the provisions of this subsection (r) shall not be construed to authorize the holder of any out-of-state permit or license to carry, in this state, any firearm or weapon other than a handgun.

States Recognizing TN Permits

Alabama

Alaska*

Arizona*

Arkansas*

Colorado - Does not honor 18-20 year old permits or non-resident permits

Delaware

Florida* - Does not honor 18-20 year old permits or non-resident permits

Georgia*

Idaho

Indiana

Iowa

Kansas

Kentucky*

Louisiana*

Maine

Michigan*

Mississippi*

Missouri

Montana

Nebraska - Does not honor 18-20 year old permits

Nevada

New Hampshire*

New Mexico*

North Carolina*

North Dakota - Does not honor 18-20 year old permits

Oklahoma

Ohio*

Pennsylvania*

South Carolina*

South Dakota*

Texas*

Utah

Virginia

West Virginia* - Does not honor 18-20 year old permits or non-resident permits

Wisconsin - Does not honor 18-20 year old permits

Wyoming*

* Indicates the state has a formal reciprocity agreement with Tennessee

(NOTE: Persons with a valid Tennessee Handgun Carry permit should contact any state for information on carrying such handgun prior to entering the state.)

States Not Recognizing TN Permits

California
Connecticut
Hawaii
Illinois
Maryland
Massachusetts
Minnesota
New Jersey
New York
Oregon
Rhode Island
Vermont
Washington

https://www.tn.gov/safety/article/hgreciprocity

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, chances R said:

Vermont recognizes all state permits and is a constitutional carry state, open or concealed for residents and non residents.

Actually, it doesn't really "recognize" any permits at all per se. It's just that anyone not forbidden from ownership can carry, as you say, simple as that.

Perhaps a "distinction without a difference", but that's why TN lists VT in the "non recognizing" column.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • 5 years later...
1 hour ago, AnotherMike said:

NEA ILA and the USCCA Reciprocity app are two great resources for this kind of information, wise to confirm between all three sources. 

I use an app called CCW that updates it data regular, it does have a small yearly fee if you want the updates. I have the fee on automatic so I don't remember the amount but it is around a dollar.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I start with weapon safety, then familiarity, then Safety again, then go to the range and start with a 22 Revolver, then 38 Spl, and then 9 MM. That is as far as I go for first timers. Also want them to think about the adventure for a while then do it again, but move a little farther into other calibers, on the second day, and go with whatever they ask for. A large portion, of my training, is geared to what they plan to do with a firearm.    

Edited by pop pop