Fulmer Gone!!!

Guest billwilly73

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to see it end like this for Coach Fulmer. But it is time for some new blood on The Hill. Fulmer was a great coach in his time, but the competition has surpassed him and his program. I felt bad seeing him up there all emotional and such but he is in store for a big pay day in the next 48 months so I dont feel too bad. Time will tell if it was the right decision, i think we will be hurt most in the recruiting department unless we get a big name college coach. I would like to see Chucky come up from Tampa Bay, but i dont see a NFL coach leaving to come coach a college team, even if it is Tennessee.

-Jason G

Guest Abominable_Hillbilly
I wonder what all the Phil haters will say when we get another coach and he puts up a worse record then Phil (always a possibility).

While not a Phil hater, your comment brings up a point.

Remember when Tom Osborne went for two and the win, instead of a tie? That's brass. Phil has none, or he lost it. I'm not sure which. My frustration with him is not the losses. It's the way we lost. It grew weary very quickly with me to see so much squandered talent dance around undisciplined and undeveloped, all the while playing to not lose. The games have become a pageant show. Not a war. The blame rests squarely with Phil, and I'm glad to see him go. We need a scrapper with a crooked nose and a partial.

I feel bad for Phil and I know he cares a great deal for TN football, but it was time for him to give someone else a shot. He can still coach I'm sure he maybe just needed "a wake up call" heck the job at UTC(University of Tennessee Chattanooga) would be GLAD to have him.

I feel bad for Phil and I know he cares a great deal for TN football, but it was time for him to give someone else a shot.

I agree. I heard someone on the radio yesterday say that if Phil was on the outside looking in that he too would probably see that this is the right move for TN. Any time that you have someone like Fulmer in this position, who has given his adult life to UT, there is not an easy way to make this happen. Phil gave us a national championship and I am grateful to him for that. They are few and far between and that one may be the only one that I see in my lifetime.

I, too, feel bad for Phil but at the same time I am looking to the future with great anticipation to what that future holds for us loyal TN fans. I just hope that Hamilton gets it right the first time and we are not looking at multiple hires over the next 10-12 years.

My frustration with him is not the losses. It's the way we lost. It grew weary very quickly with me to see so much squandered talent dance around undisciplined and undeveloped,

Well said. This backs up 2 of the things I have said:

a) no discipline and preparation on this team. and that's all coaching.

and

:drama: I can handle losing to Florida, for example. They are a quality team. But losing 59-20 to Florida ? completely unacceptable.

I just hope that Hamilton gets it right the first time and we are not looking at multiple hires over the next 10-12 years.

Hit the nail on the head with this one. I don't want to go through what Alabama had to go through or one program I remember that RULED was Nebraska and now they are not even mentioned on ESPN often, I don't want Tennessee to turn into this. I think the first few years might be real rough but whoever they hire I want them to at least keep them till their first few recruiting classes are playing. I think we will be playing the Florida's Alabama's tough again its just not going to be instant, though I sure would like it to be.

No matter who they hire it is going to be tough for a few years until a QB can be developed.I have not seen QBs up there this bad since Sterling Hinton back in 88.

Hit the nail on the head with this one. I don't want to go through what Alabama had to go through or one program I remember that RULED was Nebraska and now they are not even mentioned on ESPN often, I don't want Tennessee to turn into this. I think the first few years might be real rough but whoever they hire I want them to at least keep them till their first few recruiting classes are playing. I think we will be playing the Florida's Alabama's tough again its just not going to be instant, though I sure would like it to be.

The problem is that replacing a successful coach with another with your first hire is actually pretty rare - see Bama, UF, UGA, Notre Dumb, Michigan, Miami, Nebraska, Oklahoma, USC, Texas A&M, etc. etc...

Notre Dumb LMAO they make the most money out of just about any school in the nation because the won't join a conference. They make all the money off their NBC games. These guys aren't dumb but yet are greedy. I still don't like them and never will.

Edited by Almond27