Beretta APX striker-fired semi auto pistol

TGO David

• Administrator

Let me just get this out of the way at the start:  Bleh

Beretta has never been among my favorite firearms manufacturers and they have seemed to consistently stay behind the times by a span of approximately 20 years.  First the 92 used the Walther-style tilting barrel mechanism and then the PX4 used the weird rotating barrel mechanism, neither of which were as efficient as the Browning design that Glock and so many others adopted modified versions of.

But, here we are in 2015 and Beretta is finally joining the striker-fired semi auto pistol club:

Beretta-APX-9x19mm-9x21mm-40S&W-semi-aut

1.jpg

Source: All 4 Shooters

The new Beretta APX multi caliber semiautomatic pistol has finally arrived!

Rumors had been spreading ever since the company launched the sub-compact BU-9 Nano semi-automatic concealed carry pistol worldwide, a couple of years ago: Beretta's next service and defensive pistol system would not have been based on one of the Company's tried and true concepts, but on something that they had never went for before.

The new Beretta APX pistol has been presented at the 2015 edition of the IDEX, the International Defense Exhibition and Conference that takes place every two years in Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates): Beretta showcased the final version of its long-awaited new semi-automatic pistol system conceived for sports shooting, personal protection, home defense, and service/issue purposes for law enforcement, military and private security personnel.

The new Beretta pistol is dubbed Beretta APX.

This is what the company disclosed so far about its new semi-automatic pistol: following the market trends and demand for a certain type of features in a semi-automatic pistol, the new Beretta APX comes built around an ergonomically-molded reinforced polymer frame fitted with a built-in MIL-STD-1913 "Picatinny" rail for tactical accessories. As standard nowadays, the Beretta APX is issued with interchangable backstraps, which also include grip panels, in order to better fit several hand sizes and thus remain viable to shooters of all genders, ages, sizes, and build.

Unlike the Beretta 92 series − which, like the predecessor Beretta 951, was based on a Walther-type tilting barrel − and unlike the more recent Beretta Px4Storm series − which was built around a rotating barrel − the new Beretta APX comes with a much simpler modified Browning locking system; it can only be disassembled when it is disarmed, and that's why a slot on the frame allows the use of a tool to decock it before it can be field-stripped by operating a lever found on the left side of the frame itself, right over the trigger guard.

The trigger can be considered a light double action, with a 2,8kg/6.17lbs break, a 6mm/0.2" travel and a 3mm/0.12" reset; the Beretta APX is a striker-fired design, and the rear portion of the striker itself will slightly protrude from a round slot on the back of the slide providing a visual and tactile confirmation of its status.

The slide of the Beretta APX semi-automatic pistol is machined out of stainless steel, and is nitride-coated upon construction to make it glare-proof, scratch-proof and corrosion-resistant; wide front and rear slide serrations allow easier manual cocking and chamber checks.

The three-dot front and rear sights are dovetailed on the slide, and sport a unique and patented adjustment system.

The baseline Beretta APX semi-automatic pistol will come with no manual safety whatsoever, featuring a "Glock-style" trigger safety and a redundant drop/striker safety system instead. Optionally a manual safety system will be available upon request, consisting in a frame-mounted two-positions switch.

The Beretta APX semi-automatic pistol has been conceived to be just as much left-hand-friendly as it can be; as such, it comes with a reversible magazine release catch and a factory ambidextrous slide stop/hold open release lever.

The Beretta APX will feed through black double-stack metal magazines with a polymer bottom pad, offering a 17-rounds capacity in 9x19mm caliber (a.k.a. 9mm "Luger", 9mm "Parabellum". 9mm NATO), and a 15-rounds capacity in 9x19mm IMI (a.k.a. "9 Italian") and .40 Smith & Wesson.

The overall lenght of the Beretta APX is in the standard bracket for this kind of pistol: 192mm/7.56" long overall, 108mm/4.¼" barrel. The handgun has however been designed to be as streamlined as it could possibly be, in order to constitute a viable and comfortable alternative for 24/7 concealed and open carry.

No further information has been released so far concerning global commercial availability and pricing of the Beretta APX semi-automatic pistol − although several European Countries will have to wait at least until 2016 for it.

What's for sure, with the APX, Beretta appears to be even more determined to compete on the modern handguns market for civilian and professional applications alike, particularly with a design that seemed to be a sole prerogative of some of its most direct competitors up until very recently.

Well, it is ugly, unoriginal, waaaaay late to the party, and completely uninspiring...,

...but... if, for some unforeseen reason, it does the "go bang every time and hit what you are aiming at" better than what I have, I will certainly give it a look.  ... ok, maybe not a look - maybe I'll just hold it lightly while looking away.

Off the wall thought here...a possible for production in the Gallatin location?

New plant...new pistol?

As far as the looks. Yep. Butt ugly.

But so is the PPQ, and I've found myself really liking it, to the point I'm considering losing a few Glocks. But the PPQ shoots and functions well for me, so in that vein, maybe I'd look at the APX.

Can anyone find a price reference?  In the $400 range, I hope. 

I don't think this is much uglier than anything else... Glock, XD, M&P,  (Hi Point excepted)... none of them will win any beauty contests.  The only thing that really matters is what the target looks like. 

I hope that "disassembly tool" isn't mandatory for fieldstripping and is only for idiots who can't remember to do a chamber check before pulling the trigger.

If a tool is needed to take the gun apart...deal killer.  I'm fairly certain that this isn't the case.

As to the looks...I couldn't care less.  If it works, it's nothing but a tool.  To me, it doesn't look worse than any of the other striker fired guns currently offered.

Edited by TN-popo

I hope that "disassembly tool" isn't mandatory for fieldstripping and is only for idiots who can't remember to do a chamber check before pulling the trigger.
If a tool is needed to take the gun apart...deal killer.

I think the tool is for those that don't like pulling the trigger to "decock" even on an empty chamber in order to strip it.
Looks OK to me, except for the ridges all over the slide. That may not come out of a kydex holster very smoothly. Compatibility with 92 mags would have been a nice selling point. I also don't know why manufacturers don't make more g19 sized guns.

I like Beretta, but not as much as HK. I might have looked into one if the VP9 didn't exist.

I like it. If you look at the photos in the link you'll see that the slide ridges aren't super aggressive so holster removal shouldn't be a problem. (The ridges are cut into the slide instead of sticking way out) The grip looks like it would be very comfortable. From the side, the APX's shape reminds me of a Ruger SR9 especially in the grip area. I can't wait to see how it actually functions & what the set MSRP will be.

APX_zps5aebb637.jpg

Edited by luvmyberetta