NATO Jerry Cans

I'm done with those stupid CARB compliant fuel cans and their nozzles that cause me to spill more fuel than any normal can ever did. I ordered a new NATO jerry can from the link below on Thursday. It shipped the same day and arrived Friday. Free overnight shipping? Yes, please. Their free-shipping was UPS Ground. I expected 2-day delivery from Lexington to Nashville based on prior experience, but overnight was even better.

It's exactly as pictured on their site. Made in Latvia, full NATO specs, rolled and fully welded seems, no cheap tabs/spot welds like on the Chinese crap at places like Sportsmans Guide. These are not stamped with "For non-potable water" or "For non-fuel use only" or anything like that. Just nice new NATO spec Jerry cans. DOES NOT INCLUDE SPOUT. You have to add them to your order, but you don't need one for every can. The spout is a matching steel base with a semi-flexible plastic end with a built-in screen filter. No CARB compliance here.

With the free shipping, this was the cheapest place I could find them. I did find a great deal on a 4-pack of NATO Jerry cans at Overstock.com, but upon further inspection realized they had CARB compliant spouts. Sort of defeats the purpose.

I ordered more today for a total of 4 cans and 2 spouts, plus an extra gasket per can. I'll probably never need the extra gaskets, but they're cheap and I'd rather have some if I need them. They also have 10L and 5L cans.

http://lexingtoncontainercompanysonlinestore.mybigcommerce.com/jerry-can-20l/

They seem to have good prices on Gamma lids too if anyone needs any for their buckets.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 7

It's exactly as pictured on their site. Made in Latvia, full NATO specs, rolled and fully welded seems, no cheap tabs/spot welds like on the Chinese crap at places like Sportsmans Guide. These are not stamped with "For non-potable water" or "For non-fuel use only" or anything like that. Just nice new NATO spec Jerry cans. DOES NOT INCLUDE SPOUT. You have to add them to your order, but you don't need one for every can. The spout is a matching steel base with a semi-flexible plastic end with a built-in screen filter. No CARB compliance here.

The US uses a thick plastic fuel can instead of metal ones now.  The need for a spout is still the same, however.  We used to call it a "donkey dick" and having one for your truck was like gold.  For some reason they would always disappear at inconvient times.

Many of us are sick of those ignorant spouts and cans.
You have to be a mental midget to think that causing spills saves the planet.

Additionally, how many gallons of the fuel with ethanol is wasted because it goes bad so quickly and you have to drain it and get rid of it. Then what do you do with it? Let it evaporate or dump it.
Great buy on those jerry cans, congrats!

Those are the chinese made ones, still better than the plastic BS wally world sells but not apples to apples with the latvian produces ones if I had to guess. I quit buying the chinese ones after one split at a seam after a minor drop.

Lol, ditto. I got two.

Oh well, gotta hope they'll be better quality than I'm expecting and I don't have any jerry cans at all right now. So worst case, They'll be as good as the plastic ones I hate Lol

P.S. I hate when I miss that word "Style". Damn Ebay store got me on a Magpul "Style" ASAP last year. I should have learned my lesson. My wife always says I don't listen, apparently I don't read either!

Edited by rugerla1

Yep. Those are Chinese knock-offs. I'll take my real-deal, thank you.  :D

You can tell by looking at the rib down the middle. If it protrudes out past the flat part of the front, it's a Chinese one. Lots of spot-welds too instead of full welds. Check out where the handles meet the body at the rear of the handle to see more spot welds. All that really means is that they'll be more prone to leaking if they get banged around much. I'd be more concerned about the paint used on the inside and whether or not it will hold up to gasoline whatever you might put in one of these. They also have a straight retention pin and not the "L" shaped pins on real NATO cans. Again, not likely to have an issue unless you bang 'em around a lot.

Trust me. If you want the NATO ones w/o the CARB compliant spout, the link I posted is the best place to get them. You might find a place a couple of dollars cheaper, but once you factor in shipping, I doubt it would be more than a couple of bucks a can. If anyone starts looking around, you'll see some with a CARB compliant spout. The way to tell is because the metal portion of the spout is very short followed by a long plastic portion. The real ones are about 50/50

CARB compliant: https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/Images/Original/4705_93172_v1.jpg

Not CARB compliant: http://lexingtoncontainercompanysonlinestore.mybigcommerce.com/jerry-can-nozzles-1/

Note that the metal part of the CARB nozzle ends just past the curve of the spout.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1

Those are the chinese made ones, still better than the plastic BS wally world sells but not apples to apples with the latvian produces ones if I had to guess. I quit buying the chinese ones after one split at a seam after a minor drop.

Good catch, I missed it as well, but i did not buy ether.

I guess I am living under a rock.  So what is up with walmart gas cans?  I have not bought any in over 15 years.

Well it's all gas cans sold now in the US for the most part thanks to the dimwits at the California Air resources Board(CARB) and the EPA. They passed a law to make portable fuel containers both safer and better for the environment. As is typical with product design through legislation, neither goal was actually achieved.

• Like 1

I guess I am living under a rock.  So what is up with walmart gas cans?  I have not bought any in over 15 years.

Yea, I was wondering the same thing.  Short of breaking after a few years and not finding the same spout I have not had any major problems and no spill issues with them.  I have a couple of smaller 1 or 2 gl cans too with the button thing to stop the flow which I use for my saws, weedeaters and other small engines.  I also have three or four 5 or 6 gl cans and a couple of the plastic US GI cans with the DD spouts for my diesel tractor, again no issues there either.  Of course these are older cans with the standard spouts not any that look like the pics.

I bought the replacement nozzles and vents for all my EPA cans. It is ridiculous how the cans cost more because of the new fangled spouts that I'm going to have to pay to replace. At least I can pour gas now without  spilling it everywhere.

Those NATO cans are nice.

Mark

I think the ones Walmart currently have are better than the "Enviro-flow" ones they were selling for a while. I have one of those round ones that they sell at TSC which seems to work pretty well.

I don't know about stabilizer but I used some non-ethanol that had been in my basement for 8 years to replace some ethanol gas that had gone bad over the winter in my mower and it fired right up.

As an interesting aside, those Nato cans are based on a German design and they were much sought after by British troops in the war as their cans were prone to damage and hard to carry. It actually got to where the Germans would leave behind booby trapped cans.

Edited by tnguy

Blitz (now out of business) made a CARB compliant spout that was easy to modify. If you ripped the safety lock out with a pair of needle nose pliers you had a reasonable setup. You just had to push down on a large black lever at the base of the spout and it would pour just fine. Venting was a problem and it would "glug" some but it worked OK. I have one of those but the gasket is super thin and has finally stretched out so it leaks at the base of the spout when being poured. The newer ones (pretty much all I can find today*) have a spring-loaded tube inside the spout with a notch on the side of the spout. The intent is that you hook the notch over the lip of the opening of whatever you're filling and push down (or let the weight of the can do it for you). The real-world result is that you're trying to align, mount, and balance a 30 pound can of highly flamable gasoline on something smaller than a pencil eraser. When that inner tube is depressed, gasoline will begin to flow at what seems like 1oz per minute so you get to keep that balancing act going for a nice long time. It also fails to account for when you're not pouring into something with a well exposed and rigid edge, such as a funnel.  Alternatively, if you have 3 arms and the hand strength of a mutant gorilla, you can pull the spring-loaded tab back manually while holding the can and aligning it with the receiving tank and pour like a normal person. I usually involve a leg, a knee, and a buffalo when attempting this. Smaller cans make the weight more manageable, but the spout still sucks.If you modify these spouts by removing the inner spout and spring, they become a simple plastic tube and work fine but then there's no way to close them as there's no cap for the spout.

*This one seems better than most. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W72GBC

It's flat on the front so you can set it on top of whatever you're filling and point the short spout directly into the receiving tank. You press a button on the back of the yellow area to start the flow. If you have to go CARB, this is probably the best way to do it. I've seen them in stock at ACE Hardware in Bellevue, but nowhere else. HD, Lowes, Autozone, and Advance only have the ones designed by a brain-damaged monkey on experimental drugs.

Edited by monkeylizard
^^^ I have gone through a couple of those over the years. The work really well, and mine did not leak. They also did not "glug".

** the only negative is that they are not durable enough to get banged around ... though I think you can turn the spout back over the can for storage. Edited by Peace

As an interesting aside, those Nato cans are based on a German design and they were much sought after by British troops in the war as their cans were prone to damage and hard to carry. It actually got to where the Germans would leave behind booby trapped cans.

Hence the term "Jerry" can.

They may have been on the wrong side in that war, but they know how to make stuff. Edited by Clod Stomper