NATO Jerry Cans

2nd order arrived today. Overnight, just like the first order.

Notice the fully welded seams on the rib and the handle. Waiting for my PRI-G to arrive then it's off to Pegram for some ethanol free gasoline.

IMG_4258_zpsowo41tih.jpgIMG_4259_zpsfnht8pfy.jpg

And just like that, I have 2 Chinese knock off cans coming, as well of 2 of these
  • Like 1

No, this will be my first time to try PRI. The lab tests I linked to up in post#5 (http://www.kansaswindpower.net/PRI%20lab_tests.htm) convinced me to go with it instead of Sta-Bil. They mention the 15 year old gas test there. CampingWorld up by Opryland has it in stock, but it's $38 for the 32oz bottle. I ordered some on Amazon for $31 and free shipping. It should be here in the next few days. Seafoam is better than Sta-Bil, not as good as PRI, but easier to to find than PRI. 

I still plan to rotate the gasoline, but with the PRI and ethanol-free I won't be so worried about it when I forget. PRI would probably keep it stable for longer if I needed it to, but a yearly cycling will be fine and that's what I'll do. When it's time to refresh the stockpile, I pour any unused gas into my cars and go refill the cans. Cars are less finicky about small breakdowns/deposits in the fuel than smaller engines with tiny ports in the carbs like generators, weed eaters, lawnmowers, etc. You probably could take 15 year old gas that was stored well and treated with PRI and run it through a car or truck without much trouble, and that's without treating it annually, just once before using it. Personally, I'll stick to my annual drain-and-refill schedule. The PRI will give me peace-of-mind if I forget one year.

I know ethanol gas will varnish up a small carb in a hurry if it's left with ethanol gas in it. I changed out carbs on a weed eater, lawnmower, and leaf blower using that junk. Since I switched to ethanol free for my small engines, they've never had a problem. I know I wouldn't want to try the 15 year experiment with ethanol gas, treated with PRI or not.

Here's a site showing where to get ethanol-free gasoline: http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=TN

Edited by monkeylizard
FWIW, my Chinese cans came today. I don't hate that I bought them. I don't use mine for storage really, the longest mine see stored during the summer Is a couple of weeks. I think they will do fine for my purposes.
I like PRI a lot. I keep several unopened bottle of the gas and the diesel versions.

Right now I have 12 cans numbered. At the first of each month I dump the current one and go fill it back up with ethanol free. Don't treat it and haven't had any issues yet. I keep the PRI in case I have to store ethanol.

I do treat my diesel with it as I'm not burning through it regularly like I do gas.

Got the cans filled up this weekend. They seal up tight! The plastic CARB cans would just about get me high on the way home from all the fumes they leaked sitting in the back of my SUV. These have zero escaping gasoline odor. That's not a surprise though. When I opened them for the first time there was a hiss when the air pressure inside changed to match the outside. :up:

I may buy more cans, but I don't think I'll ever need to replace these in my lifetime.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've used a few different cans with the "spill-proof" nozzles. The ones that do work have a terrible flow rate...it'll take you ten minutes to empty the damn thing, no joke! Most of the ones I've used have the gas come out of everywhere but the fucking nozzle.

• 6 months later...

Update:

I've used the 5L can one to two times per week throughout the spring and summer (down to about every 10 days now) and refilled it from two of the 20L along the way. The other two haven't been opened since I filled them and stored them. The seals are still perfect. No fumes, no drips, no leaks. The donkey dick seals on tight when pouring and snaps into the bracket nicely for storage . I picked up two of those (to have a backup) and some extra gaskets, but I doubt if I'll ever have to change them. They're made of very stout rubber. When the donkey dick is in place, it holds the lid up out of the way so there's nothing flopping around. Everything locks up tight. You have to give the lid some push to close it, making a good seal. If you don't get it closed all the way, the safety pin won't go in. If the pin goes in, you know you have a good seal.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy more of the same.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1
I'm glad you BTT this thread. I've been meaning to order some. Last week I got pretty irritated with my plastic EPA can and yanked the CARB spout right off of it :rofl: The funny thing is I accidently "fixed" it because the spring fell out. It put the spout back on, and now it is unrestricted :up: I just need to add a vent.

I'm going to order some Jerry cans for sure though. Edited by Wingshooter
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads up.  Just ordered two of the cans.  FYI Tractor Supply has replacement nozzles for the plastic gas cans that do not have the new messed up spouts.  The kit comes with vents that you put into your containers when you add the simple spouts.

Thanks for the lead. I will be checking this out.

Yes...I HATE those stupid safety nozzles/fillers of the last few years. They stink.

• 3 weeks later...