"Tactical" Pen

Anybody use one of the so xalled tactical pens? I have been carrying and using a Surefire EWP-02 for about 4 years now and while it is a great pen it is starting to wear out the push button hangs up every so often and it has several nicks and scratches. Just wondering what wlse is out there that someone recommends. The only requirement I have is it be push button operation. Just cant seem to use the twist ones one handed. So whats out there, or should I just get another Surefire?

Anybody use one of the so xalled tactical pens? I have been carrying and using a Surefire EWP-02 for about 4 years now and while it is a great pen it is starting to wear out the push button hangs up every so often and it has several nicks and scratches. Just wondering what wlse is out there that someone recommends. The only requirement I have is it be push button operation. Just cant seem to use the twist ones one handed. So whats out there, or should I just get another Surefire?

Might be cheaper to see if Surefire can rehabilitate it.

Might be cheaper to see if Surefire can rehabilitate it.

Yep, that's where I am leaning. The only thing out there I have seen is the Surefire's, and not much point in buying another of the same, so I am going to see what their famed warranty will do for it.
I use lots of pens, and have used lots of pens. I looked at the tactical pens. Not me unless it comes w a cinderblock tether. I used to buy space pens cause they write upside down but they're almost extinct. A nice pen is def worth the money IMHO but not if its prone to being lost or stolen.....
I looked at tactical pens and thought about how many TSA keeps and that killed it for me.... Edited by Dustbuster
  • Like 1

I don't have much perceived use for a tactical pen as I have no training in strike/nerve/pressure points or the like.  Also, the only pen I see me paying $100 for would be one of those pen guns (if they didn't require all the nanny paperwork and other BS.)  I know that some folks have to fly a lot or who spend a lot of time in airports where a tactical pen is just about the only, potential self defense tool that can be kept on one's person and I can see that.  In my case, though, the last time I flew was in 1996.  To tell the truth, I don't even carry a 'normal' pen on any kind of a regular basis as I don't use one all that much.  Still, I find the tactical pens interesting and think about them from time to time.  This thread inspired me to hop on Amazon and see what might be out there.  In so doing, I came across this Gerber one that pops572 and nightrunner might both find interesting as it has both push-button operation and a glass breaker (the glass breaker is located on the writing end, beside the actual pen tip.).  Heck, I could almost get the itch to pick up one of these, myself, if I caught it on sale.  As it is, they are already well under $100:

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-31-001880-Impromptu-Tactical-Black/dp/B00B0BD3W0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1425406348&sr=8-4&keywords=surefire+pen

Heck, I kind of like the knurled look of this one and it costs just about the same as a normal, decent quality pen such as a Cross, etc..  Looks like it has a sort of glass breaker cap end that screws off to reveal a hidden handcuff key - not something I am likely to ever use but it appeals to my 'gadget nerd' sensibilities.  Says it is compatible with regular and Fischer Space Pen refills so it should be capable of writing as well as anything else with a good ink cartridge installed.

http://www.amazon.com/UZI-TACPEN6-GM-Defender-Aircraft-Aluminum-Tactical/dp/B0080JEQOY/ref=pd_cp_hi_0

The Uzi name is a little cheesy but no big deal.  I figure that a solid metal pen/striking instrument is a solid metal pen/striking instrument.  This isn't a knife that needs to be capable of holding an edge nor is it a more complex machine such as a firearm, etc. nor yet an electronic device such as a flashlight (although a tactical pen that actually writes and has a built-in penlight would make my inner gadget nerd happy.)  It's kind of a ball peen hammer simple concept and, as someone not really familiar with such things, I have to wonder in this case how much more value one could get for $100 or more versus something that fits the same concept/niche and costs less than $20 (not a rhetorical question - I would really like to know.)

Edited by JAB
  • Admin Team
If you'd like a lower signature, but completely capable "tactical" pen, try the $5 steel Zebra F701.

It's as capable as any of the mostly gimmicky offerings by S&W and the like. It writes a lot better. And, you probably won't cry if you lose it.
  • Like 2

I carry a Gerber Tactical pen I got off Amazon for around 40 bucks. Its uses a rite in the rain cartridge and writes like a champ. I agree it's very heavy as far as a pen is concerned, but this particular one has a glass breaker on the tip, and from videos I've seen, it actually works, and since nothing else I carry has one, that's one of the main reason I use it. Also, it's very comfortable to use and hasn't ran out of ink yet going on about a year of daily use. Just my two cents.

If you'd like a lower signature, but completely capable "tactical" pen, try the $5 steel Zebra F701.

It's as capable as any of the mostly gimmicky offerings by S&W and the like. It writes a lot better. And, you probably won't cry if you lose it.

Exactly and it writes just as nice as any other higher priced pen you might buy. But if your want something a little fancier Cross has provided gold and or silver plated pens to generations of LEO. Oh and BTW aside from its use as a writing instrument you'll find a pen very useful as a pressure point compliance tool.

Edited by TNWNGR

Darn you guys!!

Now another thingy I'm looking at! I usually carry a pen or two. Old habits from my road sales days die hard. lol

Some of the less expensive models look quite interesting, as do some of the not-so-inexpensive as well.

This is what a "tactical pen" looks like.

skilcraft.jpg

Any questions?

I used to pull those apart when I was a kid and make it shoot the innards out(the small white part in there was the projectile). Ah those were the days.
  • Like 1