Why vote?

Guest Verbal Kint
there is no right to vote in a federal election

Tell that to a country without democracy.

And let me make my sig line a little larger, so people can wrap their mind around it...

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again." - Ronald Wilson Reagan, 40th President of the United States

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the basis of the OP question was that "McCain is a shoe-in for TN, so why should I bother", I think that there are a lot more issues than just who's going to the President.

Here in Oak Ridge, there were several issues I wanted to vote on. One of them was voting for a Republican in the state house seat where there is an incumbant

Democrat. How about that for a reason? We need to unseat Naifeh as speaker to get some pro gun laws enacted, such as restaurant carry.

Excellent reasons.

They still don't address why one should vote for president, but if you're at the polling place already, why not?

Can anyone give me another reason?

The only good one so far is "you're already there voting in elections that do matter, so why not?"

Tell that to a country without democracy.

And let me make my sig line a little larger, so people can wrap their mind around it...

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again." - Ronald Wilson Reagan, 40th President of the United States

I was simply stating a fact, no one has died for my right to vote in a presidential election. If they did they were misinformed.

Guest emsputz

Your vote in Tennessee does matter, because for all you know, there may be 500,000 or 750,000, or 1,000,000 that think the same way you do. If that happens to be the case, then your candidate could very well lose the state, or the candidate you want to lose could win. That's a good enough reason to go vote.

Neero sayd

They still don't address why one should vote for president, but if you're at the polling place already, why not?

I have abstained in a presidential election before. Yep, left the presidential part of the ballot blank. Doing so was my way of showing disgust for both candidates. Don't know if it much mattered but it made me feel better that day.

Anything further is simply what you just denied was your reasoning... trolling for an argument or reaction.

I'm not trolling for a reaction, I am seriously fascinated by the "responsibility to vote." If this were Ohio, it would be different, but its not. We all know that McCain will win Tennessee tomorrow whether or not we go out and vote. It's not quite as sure of a thing in Kentucky, so you're in a slightly different boat.

Don't know if it much mattered but it made me feel better that day.

I'm not sure if anything more can be said about voting for president tomorrow no matter how one votes (in Tennessee, that is). I'd like for someone to prove me wrong, though.

Your vote in Tennessee does matter, because for all you know, there may be 500,000 or 750,000, or 1,000,000 that think the same way you do. If that happens to be the case, then your candidate could very well lose the state, or the candidate you want to lose could win. That's a good enough reason to go vote.

That is a good reason, but do you really believe that enough McCain supporters would do that tomorrow to turn the tide in Tennessee? If they do, then it will be an excellent reason to have voted and you can all ridicule me tomorrow evening.

Guest Valkyrie
That is a good reason, but do you really believe that enough McCain supporters would do that tomorrow to turn the tide in Tennessee? If they do, then it will be an excellent reason to have voted and you can all ridicule me tomorrow evening.

Uh, yes... if the majority of them think "Oh I don't need to vote for President because McCain will already win TN" then he could very well NOT win TN and therefore your vote, as well as the rest of the people that are thinking like you, would have mattered a great deal. I can't understand why anyone would chance that, but I suppose that's just me.

Guest Valkyrie

Then continuing to reply to this thread is a massive waste of time and energy to everyone, it seems.

To those of you that have the common sense to understand why voting is important, make sure to hit the polls tomorrow!

Guest truthsayer

I can't answer for anyone except for myself... As long as it is in my power to do so, I prefer not to let the opinions and beliefs of others have more impact on my future than mine do. Assuming others will do my bidding usually leaves me disappointed.

Guest rlrm777

Mike.357 is correct, there is no 'Right" of an individual to vote for President in the general election. That is why the electoral votes, not the popular vote, decides the winner.

When you vote, you are telling the electors in your state how you would like them to cast their votes in the electoral college....in fact they are not obligated to vote that way, but almost always do.

Now, if in fact you need to be persuaded to vote, then you should probably stay home. It obviously doesn't mean anything to you.

That being said, the most persuasive reason I can think of to vote in this election is the possibility of having the whole government controlled by Obama, Reid, Pelosi, Frank, Dodd, Schumer etc. They are already drawing up legislation to dismantel what is left of our country.

Once they set a few things in motion, short of a very large number of armed citizens descending on Washington, there will be little we can do to stop them.

So will your one vote change all that? Maybe not. Depends on whether you're a glass half full or half empty kinda guy.

Guest Bronker
Then continuing to reply to this thread is a massive waste of time and energy to everyone, it seems.

To those of you that have the common sense to understand why voting is important, make sure to hit the polls tomorrow!

Exactly. What she said.

To those without the common sense, and who cannot wrap their minds around what they are misconstruing as a 'right' to vote, you're part of the problem. The un-informed are often worse than the ill-informed.

Exactly. What she said.

To those without the common sense, and who cannot wrap their minds around what they are misconstruing as a 'right' to vote, you're part of the problem. The un-informed are often worse than the ill-informed.

Disparaging words coming from someone that cannot articulate a position on why someone should vote.

Guest looneeetunes
Yes. I took the oath to do just that... project our country from threats and safeguard it's liberties (i.e. your right to vote).

Your luxury of voting fell well within that sworn obligation. And soldiers are dying every day for that exact reason. You cannot honestly sit there, being honest with yourself or others, and state that no soldier has ever given his life for your freedoms??? They don't sign up to protect oil prices, and they sure as hell don't sign up for the pay. They do it for the love of their country and wanting to protect their country and keep it free.

it would be hard to say it any better. this thread as stated above is a waste of breath. if one cannot see the reason why to vote, there is no talking you into it. if ignorance would be the platform for one to vote, than it is better off not to vote at all. if one doesnt care enough to find out the issues and come to a logical opinion, then one should sit back and become a follower, and accept whatever the government decides is best for citizens. to ask this question, from anyone above the age of 18 to me shows what our country has fallen to. my fourteen year old actually asked me the same question this year and i took time aside and talked to him about why. to a growing mind i can understand. at 23 you should no longer be a child. IMO

Guest Bronker
Disparaging words coming from someone that cannot articulate a position on why someone should vote.

Assuming I was speaking directly to you...

Be that as it may. Your constitutional rights give you the choice to do and say whatever you like. That includes voting, among other things.

You don't have to appreciate it. And I don't have to 'articulate' it to you.

Free country. Ain't it great?;):D

Assuming I was speaking directly to you...

Be that as it may. Your constitutional rights give you the choice to do and say whatever you like. That includes voting, among other things.

You don't have to appreciate it. And I don't have to 'articulate' it to you.

Free country. Ain't it great?;):D

It is your right, but why post an idea on a discussion forum that you're not willing to back up? I think one of the biggest problems with society is peoples' tendency to accept things as truth without ever thinking about it.

Why vote?

Voting in a local, state, or national election is an exciting opportunity provided by democratic nations to their citizens. But some of us don't value that option when we fail to exercise our right to vote. Perhaps living in a third world nation where voting rights do not exist might change our minds.

There are many good reasons to vote, including the following:

1. Casting a vote allows an individual to express a choice among candidates who wish to become government leaders. It's up to each voter to locate available information about each candidate and to make an informed decision about how to vote. Rather than allowing potential leaders to hide weaknesses and wrong-doing from public awareness, a democratic voting process urges citizens to get involved and to share viewpoints about who should lead. Failing to register a vote is tantamount to saying you don't care. Few people truly remain oblivious to government leadership. Most have opinions about the way things should go, and they should use the voting process to express their preferences.

2. Voting provides a medium for citizens to support the democratic structure. If a majority of citizens chose not to vote, democracy might become a thing of the past, replaced by another form of government that might prove more elitist in nature. Registering to vote means that you believe in the democratic process and will participate in it to represent your right to freedom of speech.

3. Supporting the electoral process helps to reinforce your regional government. Showing that you care with your vote tells candidates that they must be accountable to the public. It also suggests that those who introduce issues for a vote must provide adequate information to answer citizens' questions and address their concerns rather than attempt to foist a half-baked idea onto the general public.

4. Showing up at the poll on voting day sets a good example to others. Remember, your children observe all that you do and will learn from your example, right or wrong as it may be. Civic awareness is an important part of their training and one of the early steps on the road to maturity. Discuss the candidates with your family and make a point of mentioning your vote, or wearing the pin distributed at many polls that reads "I voted today." Voting also sets a positive example to neighbors, friends, and family who may be uninterested in or unfamiliar with the electoral system.

5. Finally, taking time to vote reflects pride in your nation and its government. The country becomes a beacon of liberty for the rest of the world who will be watching. Let everyone know that you care enough about your homeland and its leaders to have a say in the election's outcome. Never surrender your right to speak your mind via the vote on election day.

If you are not currently registered to vote, call or stop in at the electoral office in your community to get signed up. It only takes a few minutes, and even that step is likely to get noticed by those who are watching. World, beware!

As taken from the following http://www.essortment.com/lifestyle/whyvote_sdqi.htm
Guest Valkyrie
It is your right, but why post an idea on a discussion forum that you're not willing to back up? I think one of the biggest problems with society is peoples' tendency to accept things as truth without ever thinking about it.

Because it's his right - the same as it's your's to create a post like this and then dispute any and every GOOD reason people are giving you. Free speech ftw.

i if one doesnt care enough to find out the issues and come to a logical opinion, then one should sit back and become a follower, and accept whatever the government decides is best for citizens. to ask this question, from anyone above the age of 18 to me shows what our country has fallen to. my fourteen year old actually asked me the same question this year and i took time aside and talked to him about why. to a growing mind i can understand. at 23 you should no longer be a child. IMO

What did you tell your son?

Also, what have I said that makes you think that I haven't found out about the issues and come to a logical opinion?

Because it's his right - the same as it's your's to create a post like this and then dispute any and every GOOD reason people are giving you. Free speech ftw.

That's exactly the point in question. Just because you have a right to do something doesn't give you a GOOD reason to do it. You agree with this, if not you'd be out burning flags (your right), protesting military recruiters (your right), and attending Obama rallies (your right.)

Repeating your position is not an argument, nor does capitalizing the word GOOD make it so.

Guest Astra900

Well, I can't give you a good reason to vote. I'm 31, I've never seen a voting booth, and unless God comes to me in a vision instructing me different, I never will. I've never believed the president does anything other than what he is told to do, so I could care less. That opinion would make our founding fathers turn over in their grave, right? Well those old bastards are dead, and men don't act like that anymore. I include myself in this next statement; Men in this country are a bunch of chicken sh1t cowards. Talk and talk, but how many years has it been since a group of men had enough brass on their ars to actually PHYSICALLY do something about ANYTHING? If you could resurrect the authors of the Declaration of Independence right now, don't you think in a matter of days the steps of the white house would be red, LITERALLY?

It started before I was born. Men have let the gov roam free, unchecked, until we are where we are today. It would take Jesus Christ himself to mobilize enough american men to make the changes necessary to redeem this country.

It may not be the right attitude in popular opinion, but it's my opinion, and it's why I don't care about voting. Like I said, I can't give you a reason to vote, it's something you have to WANT to do, it's something you have to believe in.

Suntzu, all good reasons to vote in general. Thank you for taking the time to actually answer my question. I still don't know if they provide a reason to vote tomorrow, but they're better than most of the attempts so far (which mostly amount to "'cuz ur dum if u dont.")