What pistols would you add to this collection?(Light topic, for fun only)

espacef1fan

From a stance of home defense/concealed carry/range toys what would you add to this group?

.45 Sig 1911 Rail fullsize 

9MM Taurus PT111 G2 

.380  Walther PK380

Just curious what you guys would add to this collection, perhaps it'll inspire me to add one of your suggestions.

Remember, this is for fun.

From a stance of home defense/concealed carry/range toys what would you add to this group?

.45 Sig 1911 Rail fullsize 

9MM Taurus PT111 G2 

.380  Walther PK380

Just curious what you guys would add to this collection, perhaps it'll inspire me to add one of your suggestions.

Remember, this is for fun.

Part for fun, part serious...a .22 pistol.  Great way to practice fundamental shooting with cheaper(er) ammo, and let kids train on to get their feet wet.

Also, .22 pistols are great for bug out bags.  Lets you carry more ammo, and have a round that is more versatile in an overall survival situation.

Your missing a good 357 Magnum there sport, Were I buying new or near new it'd be a Ruger GP-100 4". Otherwise any other pistol you obtain will be that a semi auto pistol. But a good DA/SA revolver simply defines handgun ownership.

Great, great advice here. I prefer a Smith 19 or 686, but the GP is a great option, and I've had all three but I still have the 19. I'll get another 686 first, and THEN the GP. The Ruger is a total tank, and will handle some nuclear handloads. I simply prefer the slightly more refined (and to my eyes, beautiful) Smith offerings. I would suggest taking the time to find a nice pre-lock model.

There's nothing like shooting a fine, full-size revolver in single-action. Edited by musicman
  • Like 2

A 357 revolver sounds interesting.

I almost went for the G19, but decided I liked the Taurus about the same, for less money. The M+Ps are REALLY nice. Super comfy.

G19 is a great pistol though.

Between the GP100 and SW686, which has a nicer trigger?

Current manufacture i.e. new both need a bit of trigger work...older early model 686 would get the edge. I won't buy a new S&W N, K, or L frame and I'm a S&W advocate. GP-100, a bit of dry firing and a Wolff Spring kit and its good to go. Have a good smith work it over and wow. 

For trigger finesse it's the Smiths over the Rugers all day long. Smiths are generally pretty good/great right out of the box. The Rugers are OK and can be worked on to be pretty darn good, but in general just can't match a nice Smith trigger. If you've got $1,000+ burning a hole in your pocket, go Colt.

I've had 4 Smith 38/357s, all used, and all excellent triggers. My one GP100 was bought brand new, and was... acceptable trigger-wise. In single-action it still had some movement and one hitch of grit before release. I didn't know that wasn't the norm until my first Smith 19. It's like the first time you saw something in Hi-Def... makes the same thing you been using for years suddenly not that great anymore. The first time I needed cash, the GP found a new home. I still have that Smith.

What, no M&P??

I thought about that, too. I have four and love 'em! I feel that they are the best of the plastic fantastics. Though I greatly prefer it over all others, he already has the Taurus Tupperware. For that reason I also would not go Glock... he already has that category covered. I am totally with the folks pushing the 38/357 revolver platform. Either Smith or Ruger, they are both great choices.

The awesome flexibility of the 38/357 ammo choice cannot be understated. Short of a .22, you won't find a lighter recoiling target round than some 148gr HBWCs over a little Bullseye. Hot 125gr JHPs are a hoot over a case full of H110/W296 or 2400! You can use the same pistol to introduce a gun-shy newbie to the sport, or impress your buddies with firepower. Can't do that with a wundernine! :-D