The photography thread

10-Ring

• Moderators

Indeed, very nice!

Let's talk gear for minute...   Anyone want recommend a decent tripod that's not massively over-priced?  I know, I know....  $1000 camera on a $20 tripod...   I would like something that will sit reasonably low.   Weight isn't a big concern. 

Some people's definition of "cheap" and mine may be different, but this is the nicest tripod I've owned:

Dolica Proline

I think that's the exact one but they have several different models for different prices. To me, it is "decent" at under $100.

Some people's definition of "cheap" and mine may be different, but this is the nicest tripod I've owned:

Dolica Proline

I think that's the exact one but they have several different models for different prices. To me, it is "decent" at under $100.

$47?  Looks like a pretty decent tripod for the money!  I may give it a try.

• Moderators

$47?  Looks like a pretty decent tripod for the money!  I may give it a try.

Yeah, I have one that was essentially given to me as a form of payment for some work. I was pleasantly surprised that it feels decently built and is quite adjustable, more so than the cheap free tripod that Amazon gave me with a T3i purchase one order. It was so very, very lightweight and I did not like it. The Dolica is pretty nice for still photography. It would of course leave you wanting more for anything video related.

Dolica Proline

That's basically what I had in mind.  Note that there's a newer model....

http://www.amazon.com/Dolica-GX600B200-Proline-60-Inch-Aluminum/dp/B004XC3GWU/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

I had this one in my wish list, which looks pretty similar...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002W0N7VA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=18VLFA99FGJOY&coliid=I1COW9LE2OWSJ0

I got a fairly nice Manfrotto 190XB for work.  It's quite sturdy and does everything I'd like, but it is somewhat bulky.  At $200, it's also on the pricey side for my purposes. 

I'm in the market for an American, my current rifle is a Mauser M96 in .270.  I'll never get rid of it, it is a fine rifle but it is heavy.  Looking at the Ruger in compact stainless .243, I think it will make for a very light and durable workhorse deer rifle.  

• Moderators
So I just bought a used Canon 85mm 1.8 lens for $300. I think I like it but I kind of have buyer's remorse. Has a bit of wear and even though I looked it over a lot before purchasing I think I found a spec of something in it internally that is bigger than dust. It seems to take good photos but I have just always bought new lenses so it feels sort of odd. Edited by CZ9MM

So I just bought a used Canon 85mm 1.8 lens for $300. I think I like it but I kind of have buyer's remorse. Has a bit of wear and even though I looked it over a lot before purchasing I think I found a spec of something in it internally that is bigger than dust. It seems to take good photos but I have just always bought new lenses so it feels sort of odd.

Mold?
  • Moderators

Mold?

I don't think so. I looked it over a lot and then some before I bought it. Was looking for mold and anything else. Looks almost like a stringy fiber or something about a mm or so. I doubt I could ever get a pic but I will try.

I'm in the market for an American, my current rifle is a Mauser M96 in .270. I'll never get rid of it, it is a fine rifle but it is heavy. Looking at the Ruger in compact stainless .243, I think it will make for a very light and durable workhorse deer rifle.

Hey... keep that gun talk out of the photography thread. :)
  • Moderators

Mold?

I don't think so. I looked it over a lot and then some before I bought it. Was looking for mold and anything else. Looks almost like a stringy fiber or something about a mm or so. I doubt I could ever get a pic but I will try.

Full resolution images when you click. Note the scuff in the pics of the lens body and then the fiber/piece in the lens itself. It is not on either the front or rear of the glass, it is internal.

Images of my watch were taken with the 85mm in question. It seems to do nice. Edited by CZ9MM

Is that something I should actually try?

The YouTube videos make it look fairly easy.  :x: 

I've talked to a few non-professionals who've all done it without any issues. The thing is, being that it's inside the lens, rather than on the sensor, you may never notice it negatively affect your images. Knowing it's there will probably bother you more than it will affect image quality.