The photography thread

10-Ring

• Moderators

The YouTube videos make it look fairly easy. :x:

I've talked to a few non-professionals who've all done it without any issues. The thing is, being that it's inside the lens, rather than on the sensor, you may never notice it negatively affect your images. Knowing it's there will probably bother you more than it will affect image quality.

I think this is probably the case. In the above photos of my G-Shock show mostly that it takes nice photos and until I prove it affects the images negatively I should probably just leave it as is. I am just afraid it is plastic shavings or something to the point where eventually the lens will strop working correctly.

This is a pic I took nearly two years ago during a trip out west. We went to Zion National Park in Utah. I hiked up the trail (1500ft. elevation gain) and made it to the top of "Angel's Landing." At the top you can look down Zion Valley for this incredible view. This had been at the top of my bucket list for some time, and for a 61 year old man it was a hike of a lifetime. Shot with a Nikon S8000.

1011774_621895747820923_369827312_n.jpg?

• Like 2
  • Administrator

Here are some I took in San Francisco back in 2010.  Neat city.  Wouldn't want to live there but I've visited several times now and have enjoyed it.  The fog was super heavy this particular visit so I wasn't able to take those iconic pictures of the Golden Gate Bridge that everyone strives to take, but it ended up being a blessing in disguise and I was forced to explore other shots of it instead.

i-zXJ5ZPr-X3.jpg

i-z8NV5GS-X2.jpg

i-bHdNx99-X3.jpg

i-v2n6XmK-X3.jpg

i-xRzphTr-X3.jpg

i-crJfsRB-X3.jpg

i-PFkpdcb-X3.jpg

i-jp7fkFP-X3.jpg

i-cXpRnXz-X3.jpg

i-LJM2z5M-X2.jpg

i-VbTWDJn-X3.jpg

i-KjZxd9k-X2.jpg

i-9GDsr4c-X3.jpg

The fog and the heavily-filtered dim sunlight really lent a sorrowful tone to the beautiful architecture.  For some reason the crisis helpline call-box really stood out to me and told the darker story of the Golden Gate Bridge.  I was not previously aware that numerous people travel to San Francisco each year just to take their own lives by jumping from that bridge.

The Rangers at the park were telling us that they do sweeps of the parking lot every morning and evening to see if there are any cars that appear to have been abandoned.  If so, they begin searching.

The impact of the fall rarely mercifully kills anyone who jumps, they said, but rather does tremendous damage to a person's internal organs and leaves them helpless to drown.  Frequently the bodies of jumpers are washed by the tides all the way out to the Farallon islands nearly 30 miles away.

Anyway, it was kind of surreal walking along on the bridge with so much of it obscured by fog to the point you could only see the water below every so often, with no ability to see if someone might have been out there on the verge of death hoping that a friendly voice or hand might guide them back in off of the rail.   :(

BTW, that sad looking guy in black in the last photo, walking along staring at his shoes, was with me that day so I wasn't worried about him jumping.  He was a co-worker and we were out there on business, but as annoying as that dude was, I might have pushed him if given the chance.  :devil:

• Like 5
  • Administrator

Here's another from somewhere atop the Million Dollar Highway between Silverton, CO and Ouray, CO.  We were well above 10,000 ft when I snapped this.  Not much else higher than us and those few peaks up there.

i-q8vSrMG-2512x1675.jpg

• Like 6

A little bit of Sedona, Arizona for you... no post processing of this photo either. The colors are just THAT vibrant out there.

i-7KZ9hFF-2512x1675.jpg

Cool picture. My family spent several days exploring and hiking Sedona on our trip to AZ last March. It was our favorite area by far during our trip. Even above the Grand Canyon in many ways. We can't wait to go back.
  • Like 1

A little bit of Sedona, Arizona for you... no post processing of this photo either.  The colors are just THAT vibrant out there.

i-7KZ9hFF-2512x1675.jpg

We spent 4 days in Sedona way back in the dark ages. It  was 1998 actually. I found it and the surrounding areas to be some of the most beautiful county I've seen so far.

And David is right about the colors. And the night sky is amazing also.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

All beautiful pictures David!

Dave

Thank you sir.  I've got to confess, though, it's hard not to take a good picture out there.  You can just hang your camera out the window and press the button and likely come back with something breathtaking.  :)

• Like 2

That's gonna be hard to buff out!

M105 and an orange pad should do it. :surrender:

Nosey me. What happened? And most importantly...everyone ok?

Fell asleep. Thankfully I was the only person involved. Just got banged up a bit; chest pain mostly, and it isn't in a hurry to go away. :shrug:

Edited by Ted S.

M105 and an orange pad should do it. :surrender:

Fell asleep. Thankfully I was the only person involved. Just got banged up a bit; chest pain mostly, and it isn't in a hurry to go away. :shrug:

Crap Ted! Take it easy bro!!

Dave

• Moderators

So over the weekend I tried shooting something I hadn't really ever tried before -- Theatre/Ballet. Some of them turned out, in my opinion, quite well. I was using my new 6D with 85mm 1.8 lens. I was just sitting in the front row left and right (went multiple nights). The lens was great for reaching in there for solo shots and the like, but when the stage was crowded it wasn't wide enough for any decent shots. The 1.8 f-stop helped me quite a bit. Shot TV priority at 1/500 with auto ISO.

It was called "The Veil" and was held at Lee University in Cleveland. These are a few of the crops/edits that I have. I'm also attempting to learn Photoshop CS6.

haPXGYj.jpg

8fyWYDR.jpg

gzswknm.jpg

fXdmebv.jpg

DYOoY77.jpg

hNs14DV.jpg

z3FdjjI.jpg

gejsnRJ.jpg

• Like 2