The photography thread

10-Ring

• Moderators

Interesting. I must have just overall missed that entirely. I had thought about getting a 90EX to work as a wireless optical master, but would be missing out on the IR auto-focus assist.

The ST-E2 seems to be a great product, but how does it work? The 430 EX II that I have looks for an optical pre-flash typically emitted by the camera or one of the higher end Speedlites. The ST-E2 doesn't appear to have an actual flash, and the 430 EX II doesn't have wireless capabilities that I know of.

That being said, the ST-E2 is expensive but can be found for under $100 used. It should either work or not work I presume.  Change the battery and it should be good I would think. But overall I would like another Speelite and while I'm impressed with the 430 EX II, buying another one would mean I have $600+ tied up in two Speedlites when the Yongnuo setup could be ~$200 to ~$300. I wish someone local had a good bit of the Yongnuo stuff so I could try before I buy.

That being said, I think I will try and snag an ST-E2 for the time being at $50 to $75.

EDIT: Oh, I see.

Yes. The ST-E2 is flash tube with a red filter over it which cuts most, but not all, the visible light leaving the IR wavelengths. The idea is to make the command pre-flashes invisible to prevent blinking, which I've never found to be a problem using a 580ex master instead. Its one of the earliest parts of the Canon wireless system and like the first flash the 420ex it lacks the capability to remotely control EX flashes in M mode, which more consistent than ETTL in situations like portraits where the subject - flash distance (and exposure) are constant.

Edited by CZ9MM
  • Moderators

The Yongnuo products are great.

Oh great! You are in Hamilton County. Do you own any of the Yongnuo Speedlites? If so, which ones? If you'd be willing, perhaps a meet up this weekend for some hands on experience, chat and advice on what would be good purchases and why?

• Moderators

Or this...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/164264/?gclid=CPjPjLai-MQCFQwDaQodrwEAZQ

Ended up just winning an apparent like new ST-E2 on Ebay for...$75.01. I sniped the auction within the last 10 seconds or so and $75.01 was my high bid. I just had a feeling that someone else would bid $75.00. I guess I was right:)

I feel that is a pretty fair price considering that a lot go for $100 or so. Hope it is like new and works well.

This was my first Ebay bid win in a long time. Typically I have just been buying new via Amazon/Adorama/etc, but I couldn't pay new price for this seeing as how much it sells for. This seemed the perfect Ebay item to bid on. It was thrilling and I remember how easy it is to get "hooked". Edited by CZ9MM

Took the kids on a little hike in the GSMNP yesterday.  Forgot the real camera so I took a few shots with my phone.  Fiddled around with the camera app editing software to give them a "vintage" look while grilling hot dogs after we got back home.  Thought they turned out fairly well.... 

i-JnK7d2X-L.jpg

i-TsB2Vs5-L.jpg

i-wQHfZPS-L.jpg

• Like 4

Took the kids on a little hike in the GSMNP yesterday.  Forgot the real camera so I took a few shots with my phone.  Fiddled around with the camera app editing software to give them a "vintage" look while grilling hot dogs after we got back home.  Thought they turned out fairly well....

Like the first two, but the third one I really, really like. Not bad at all for a phone pic.
  • Like 1

Like the first two, but the third one I really, really like. Not bad at all for a phone pic.

That's the thing with photos and photographers...   I sat here for a good 3 minutes mulling over whether or not to post that last one.  It's my least favorite.  I thought I framed it reasonably well with the fence, trees, and a touch of sky... but, I dunno...  I got frustrated futzing around with the colors.  I quit and started over 3 or 4 times and it still doesn't seem "right" to me.  But I've heard that from a more than a few other photogs... photos they thought were distinctly "meh" are the ones that others seem to love. 

• Like 1

That's the thing with photos and photographers...   I sat here for a good 3 minutes mulling over whether or not to post that last one.  It's my least favorite.  I thought I framed it reasonably well with the fence, trees, and a touch of sky... but, I dunno...  I got frustrated futzing around with the colors.  I quit and started over 3 or 4 times and it still doesn't seem "right" to me.  But I've heard that from a more than a few other photogs... photos they thought were distinctly "meh" are the ones that others seem to love.

That's probably because the qualities you guys look for don't really matter to us. Same thing with playing music. When I screw up a tiny bit, I assume everyone hears it, but nobody does. The "consumer" is appreciating the overall effect, not every technical detail.

nashville%20skyline6.jpg
My latest. Is there any photographers in Nashville that doesn't have a similar picture?

Yes me! But I've only been here for a couple of months this time. If anyone wants to get out done night and take some shots let me know. I can't concentrate on what I'm doing and keep track of what is doing on around me at the same time, which is a recipe for disaster. I wonder if Gecko45 is into photography? He'd be the perfect guy to take along.
  • Moderators

Yes me! But I've only been here for a couple of months this time. If anyone wants to get out done night and take some shots let me know. I can't concentrate on what I'm doing and keep track of what is doing on around me at the same time, which is a recipe for disaster. I wonder if Gecko45 is into photography? He'd be the perfect guy to take along.

Not into photography, but what he can do is setup an IR mobile autonomous quadrocopter and have it follow you around. If anything, human or animal, gets within your zone, it will it will start a looped recording on the suspects Miranda rights while at the same time moving between you and the suspect while slowly moving towards the suspect with it's 10,000 rpm spinning steel props.

Of course, he can also duct-tape extra magazines and a BUG to the quadrocopter. You never know when you are going to be rushed by hordes of tangos so it is literally impossible to carry too much ammo. Since it is at night, you probably should have him rig you up a second quadrocopter without Ir cam, etc and use it just for additional ammo. I think he calls that setup "The Flying Mulesack".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey guys got a question? Im looking for a decent camera and found a canon Rebel XS EOS 1000D for sale. I don't know any thing about cameras is this any good and what is a good price for a used one any help would be appreciated thanks in advance Edited by raildog
  • Moderators

Hey guys got a question? Im looking for a decent camera and found a canon Rebel XS EOS 1000D for sale. I don't know any thing about cameras is this any good and what is a good price for a used one any help would be appreciated thanks in advance

Well, it is an older model. I'd honestly say anything over about $50 or maybe up to $75 would be more than fair to the seller, debatably fair to the buyer.

It will take better pictures than most "Point-and-Shoot" cameras and a decent entry into the world of DSLR's. It will probably be like a bug that causes you to want to upgrade.

Personally I'd suggest a T3i or so if you can afford it, but that would probably be $250 to $350 used range.

Hey guys got a question? Im looking for a decent camera and found a canon Rebel XS EOS 1000D for sale. I don't know any thing about cameras is this any good and what is a good price for a used one any help would be appreciated thanks in advance

Depends entirely on what you want to do with it.

Depends entirely on what you want to do with it.

My wife wants something more than a I phone or my Samsung Note to take lasting memories of our son and our advertisers as a family don't want to brake the bank but want a good quality camera for someone who knows nothing about photography
Just get her a point and shoot unless she has a serious interest in learning photography. It doesn't matter how good a camera is, it will still require a skilled person behind it to take good pictures.
  • Like 1

Just get her a point and shoot unless she has a serious interest in learning photography. It doesn't matter how good a camera is, it will still require a skilled person behind it to take good pictures.

Yep.  Just about any of the reputable P&S cameras will do everything you want them to do.  DSLR's are fun, but P&S's are way easier for just capturing memories. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

So, I noticed that Canon has released a newer version of the "Nifty Fifty" at $125.

This one has an STM motor and a metal mount, Optics are claimed to be the same as the previous versions. Since I have a void in the 50mm range right now, I will probably buy this one once it comes out and I've been able to reed a few reviews.

ef50_f18_stm_586x186_hero.gif

The STM motor is primarily made to be quiter for video work. I think theoretically it may be a bit faster than than the 50mm 1.8 II autofocus. The STM motor also allows manual focus overide.

One of the features about the lens I am most excited about is probably that it has a closer minimum focusing distance (14" vs 17.72" on the 50mm 1.8 II). This isn't much (about 21% improvement I suppose). Since my next purchase wants to be a 100mm 2.8 Macro, perhaps this 50mm STM will fulfill my closeup itch until I find $550 sitting somewhere.

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens

But, I was honestly hoping that 50mm 1.8 II's would be popping up on sale for $50 new. I haven't seen those anywhere.

EDIT: Yep, I eventually sold my 50mm 1.4 USM. I did love the output of that lens, but I got tired of worrying about it eventually breaking. It was Micro USM instead of Ring USM, which I don't fully understand the pros and cons of but I understand the Micro USM was "Baby USM". I replaced it with the 85mm 1.8 lens, which I love very much and is very well built. Not trying to convince everyone to shed their 50mm 1.4's because they are going to break, but after reading so many reviews of people claiming that theirs broke the exact same way and even reading a thread about exactly how it breaks made me decide to sell it when it was still working instead of worrying about it breaking. I technically sold it for ~ +- $10 of what I paid for it originally due to the lens going up in price since I bought it. WooHoo!

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3123026

Edited by CZ9MM

That is such a fundamental truth regarding photography. So many folks see an outstanding photograph and immediately ask what camera was used? : /

That is such a fundamental truth regarding photography. So many folks see an outstanding photograph and immediately ask what camera was used? : /

I can't really toot my own horn as I have a LOT of camera, but I've shot with a girl that has a cheapo DSL and an incredible eye.  She does some really amazing work, I'd say a good photograph is about 90% photographer and 10% equipment but when you start trying to shoot in low light or shoot moving objects those nice cameras start to pay for themselves.