The photography thread

10-Ring

When to an in-laws family farm over the weekend and took a few shots.  Wish I'd taken a little more time with a couple of these shots, but I was just wandering around taking snap shots. 

IMG_5425-L.jpg

IMG_5453m-L.jpg

IMG_5443m-L.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

So, had been looking forward for the past few weeks to photographing fireworks. I had never tried that before. It really isn't that hard, but I wasn't really satisfied with the results. I wasn't able to get a good scenic location, was too close (because ultimately did not know exactly where to expect them). Though, there are a few towards the end that I consider keepers. Here are all 37 I took.

Really would like another "chance", perhaps in Chattanooga or someplace similar, in which the fireworks are shot out over water or something like that. Was rushed the entire time, didn't quite get to setup as I had hoped. I learned very quickly that with too long of exposures the firework would "blur". The "crisp" ones were much shorter at a slightly larger aperture.

Used: Canon 6D and 50mm STM

FRPya2N.jpg

QerTmQx.jpg

Fn7aUdC.jpg

a2Umwoj.jpg

3kH8cNs.jpg

5M8t475.jpg

PAZHowK.jpg

nCWGoqS.jpg

zWqaOWT.jpg
  • Like 1

I took a few from the office tonight, sad after going through them that I didn't drag my big tripod into work b/c my small one was not capable of supporting my larger lenses.

My favorite so far. . .

18804520073_d138d83f59_b.jpg

_MG_3048 by Erik, on Flickr

Edited by 2.ooohhh
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...
Alright photogs..if that's a word :)

I need input on video cameras. Really wasn't wanting to buy one but an upcoming 1st birthday party for my niece has prompted me to look around. I have even considered slumming it and renting one,lol.

All that said, if I am buying one where should I be looking ?

I need input on video cameras. Really wasn't wanting to buy one but an upcoming 1st birthday party for my niece has prompted me to look around. I have even considered slumming it and renting one,lol.

I recommend your favorite branded DSLR with the motion capture specs you want (60fps, 1080p, etc)

Believe it or not, but some TV shows are shot elusively with fairly affordable DSLRs. Wilfred was originally shot with a Cannon EOS 7D.

I'm positive my Sony NEX 5n is more than capable of great quality video.

• Like 1

GoPro. 

Peejman or CZ9MM
My DSLR (bought in 09, 16k+ clicks) is on the fritz about autofocus now. Hit or miss on working. Manual focus is only as good as my eyes thru my contacts. Is it done or an easy fix? I'm unfortunately having to use a point and shoot for my 6 year olds bday tonight, which is a little better than my phone.
Thanks, John
  • Moderators

Peejman or CZ9MM
My DSLR (bought in 09, 16k+ clicks) is on the fritz about autofocus now. Hit or miss on working. Manual focus is only as good as my eyes thru my contacts. Is it done or an easy fix? I'm unfortunately having to use a point and shoot for my 6 year olds bday tonight, which is a little better than my phone.
Thanks, John

Well, it could be different things. Is it a Nikon or Canon (or else)? I believe that Canon lenses have the autofocus motor built into the lenses. I believe Nikons are built into the body.

If you can, try the following:

• A different lens on your camera body
  • The same lens on a different but like camera body (for example, Canon EF lenses are compatible with basically any Canon EOS camera, ever)

Then you can determine whether it is the body or lens that is acting up.

What lens and what body are you experincing this with?

Well, it could be different things. Is it a Nikon or Canon (or else)? I believe that Canon lenses have the autofocus motor built into the lenses. I believe Nikons are built into the body.

If you can, try the following:

• A different lens on your camera body
  • The same lens on a different but like camera body (for example, Canon EF lenses are compatible with basically any Canon EOS camera, ever)
Then you can determine whether it is the body or lens that is acting up.

What lens and what body are you experincing this with?
Never thought the lens would quit. Wow. I almost always have the EF18-55 on it. Ran around the house until it quit. Locked the EF75-300 and it still runs. Camera is a Canon Rebel XS and both lenses are Canon. Guess the motor on the 18 is almost done. Thanks CZ.
  • Moderators

Never thought the lens would quit. Wow. I almost always have the EF18-55 on it. Ran around the house until it quit. Locked the EF75-300 and it still runs. Camera is a Canon Rebel XS and both lenses are Canon. Guess the motor on the 18 is almost done. Thanks CZ.

No problem. Tha'ts good news and also bad news I guess. The 75-300 will be a bit tight for shooting tonight for you, but you can hold onto the XS for a bit longer if you so desire.

Seeing as how the XS has a 1.6x crop factor, a 50mm lens on your camera will "act" as about an 80mm on a full-frame (35mm sensor/film).

Now, it isn't what you want for large group shots or anything, but I would suggest perhaps this:

http://amzn.to/1MitVfk

That's the newest "Nifty Fifty" that Canon makes. It has STM, which is primarily a bonus when shooting video, but it's a great lens. It is very sharp, it focuses closer compared to the older one, and has full-time manual focus override. I sold my 50mm 1.4 and replaced it with the 50mm 1.8 STM:)

I say to do this because the 85mm is a great, great portrait lens. But on a 1.6 crop body it will be about a 136 focal length equivalent, which is fine for potraits but not so much inside.

In my opinion, everyone should own that lens simply for the fact that it is such a huge upgrade from the "kit lens" that so many cameras come with.

EDIT: And if you just liked the focal length coverage of the kit lens, they can be found for very cheap on Ebay/Craigslist used.

Edited by CZ9MM