The photography thread

10-Ring

• Moderators

Never thought the lens would quit. Wow. I almost always have the EF18-55 on it. Ran around the house until it quit. Locked the EF75-300 and it still runs. Camera is a Canon Rebel XS and both lenses are Canon. Guess the motor on the 18 is almost done. Thanks CZ.

And...also...if you dont' mind a bit of adventure (at this point I don't see why you wouldn't), sometimes you can find guides on the internet pertaining to specific issues with specific lenses. You might could fix it yourself. Or you could sell it for a few bucks on Ebay/Craigslist to someone who could fix it or doesn't mind a manual focus lens. The one thing I wouldn't do is spend money to get it fixed. Those lenses are very common, a dime a dozen you'd say, and it'd be much easier and cheaper probably to just find someone that has one that they don't want. Or "upgrade" to a bit higher glass, such as the one I linked to above.

• Moderators

I need the indoor shot capability. The 18-55 seems to work for what I need zoom wise inside. Will that one you linked be good inside and out? I've got a 6 year old and an almost 2 year old running around.

Well, set the 18-55mm on about 50mm and that will be the same image you see more or less.

The one I linked to is a 50mm prime. Prime means that the focal length does not change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Moderators

If you decide you'd rather stick with what you know, there is always this:

http://amzn.to/1Noe9Ow

Looks like for $60 to $70 you can replace that lens. I doubt the one you have is the IS (Image Stabilization) version, so it is technically an upgrade although many people would argue you probably do not need IS on a shorter focal length lens; It would be there to turn on if you decide you want it. Personally I would not pay "full price" for a kit lens though. That lens shows up as $199 NIB. For about $200 or so more you could upgrade to a much newer body, kit lens included, and either sell or keep the older XS body that you have.

T5 with 18-55 lens: http://amzn.to/1MmES0Z $399

Edited by CZ9MM

Sounds like CZ's got you covered. 

As for the 18-55.... you might try cleaning it.  They get cruddy with use, regardless of whether you've been in a "dirty" environment. 

Me being me, I'd try to use it as an excuse to upgrade to a better lens.  The "nifty fifty" is a great intro to prime lenses.  Using one takes a little more forethought, but can produce excellent results.  There's a handful of similar but higher quality lenses in that same zoom range.  Some can be really pricey, but you generally get what you pay for.  I surf the B&H Photo used dept to get a little reality check on prices. 

If you decide you'd rather stick with what you know, there is always this:

http://amzn.to/1Noe9Ow

Looks like for $60 to $70 you can replace that lens. I doubt the one you have is the IS (Image Stabilization) version, so it is technically an upgrade although many people would argue you probably do not need IS on a shorter focal length lens; It would be there to turn on if you decide you want it. Personally I would not pay "full price" for a kit lens though. That lens shows up as $199 NIB. For about $200 or so more you could upgrade to a much newer body, kit lens included, and either sell or keep the older XS body that you have.

T5 with 18-55 lens: http://amzn.to/1MmES0Z $399

It has the IS lens. Looks like I might have to sell a "toy". Blasphemy Edited by JHC77
  • Moderators

It has the IS lens. Looks like I might have to sell a Glock. Blasphemy

Sell a Glock? I showed you where you could get a used 18-55 for under $70 in very good condition. Personally, were I you I'd buy that 50mm lens. When I had my T3i (a cropped sensor camera) I had the 50mm 1.4 and at one time the 50mm 1.8 II and hardly ever touched the "kit lens".

The 18-55 is a zoom lens, that means you can change the focal length. The 50mm 1.8 STM is a prime lens, that means the focal length stays the same. The 18-55 costs more new than the 50mm STM because it has a bunch more complexities and moving parts. Just because the 50mm STM is 1/2 of the cost of the kit lens does not make it inferior. The glass is much better and faster. You will gain 3.5 full stops (meaning that at 1.8 you will let much, much, much more light into the sensor. That means you can shoot inside without a flash and still take good photos.

All I can say is please do not pay full price for the kit lens, if I have to I will contact some of my photographer friends and see if any of them they'd get rid of cheaply.

Edited by CZ9MM
  • Moderators

I'll give the 50 a try once I come up with a few bucks. My wife isn't a fan of reconditioned items.

The only issue you would have is if you just so happen to take wider photos. If you buy it and find it doesn't work for you, return it, sell it, or keep it and buy a wider lens as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Moderators

For anyone that might be intersted in camera shopping and doesn't mind a cropped sensor, this is a good deal!

http://amzn.to/1J3tKCr

Canon T5, Kit Lens, and 75-300mm III. If under "Configuration" you select "Free Accessories", they will also include a 16GB SanDisk card as well as the AmazonBasics 60" Tripod.

51zsT5jvCwL.jpg

Edited by CZ9MM
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
For what it's worth, B&H Photo has a Manfrotto bag on sale today for $19.99. It is usually $49.99-$59.99. I bought one. Review once I get it, but it works out great for me since I was in the market for a more compact shoulder bag vs the backpack I've been sporting. I figure even if I hate the bag, I can at least get my money back easily if not a few bucks more.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/dealZone.jsp Edited by CZ9MM
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

So, I've been thinking about saving a few bucks here and there to buy a macro lens; I've always wanted a macro lens but never got around to purchasing one.

I think I'll go for the 100mm focal length.

My conundrum, if that is what you would call it, is whether the L is worth +$300.

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro Lens

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Fixed Lens

The L adds IS, better build quality, and I'm assuming better image quality.

Also, something I am considering is selling my 85mm 1.8 lens. Although I very, very much love this lens (honestly, it is my favorite lens that I've ever owned), I feel that the 100mm macro overlaps many of the uses of the 85mm. I realize that the 85mm is quite a bit faster if need be, but I generally like choosing a smaller aperture to increase depth of field anyway. If I do sell it, it will only be after a 100mm macro purchase.

So whom has experience with these lenses and cares to give some input? I'm considering renting both of the lenses from someplace online, but my research shows it would probably run me about or greater than $50 for the pair. That's 10% of the cheaper lens right there!

• Administrator

Took a much-needed vacation to Colorado with the family this past week.  Spent some time in Colorado Springs and Fort Collins both.  Opted *not* to take my Canon 7D DSLR this time, instead just sticking with my iPhone 6.  It was an experiment in seeing if I could enjoy myself more by not obsessing over taking "the perfect shot" like some sort of amateur Ansel Adams.

I did.

These aren't photographic perfection but they are photos of God's perfection.  Enjoy.

i-jGPdTK2-2510x1883.jpg

i-Sq9Tgjw-2510x1883.jpg

i-5B4KzXq-2510x1365.jpg

i-RrR5Bm7-2510x1883.jpg

i-hp7tDhK-2510x1883.jpg

i-4CMVw6F-2835x1292.jpg

i-VN9HLHr-4082x1292.jpg

Oh yeah, and here's a flight of seasonal beers with a plate of bier cheese dip and back-wrapped pretzels for you at Fort Collins Brewery. So much 'Merica right here.

i-W8Q2VsS-2510x1883.jpg

• Like 6
Very good pics. The camera capabilities of the cell phones are getting to be amazing.

As I'm not a greatly knowledgeable person on the specs, I was pretty impressed with comments by phone salespersons that newer models are of the 18+ megapixel variety.

Oh yes, the beer and pretzels look pretty tasty too.

For what it's worth, B&H Photo has a Manfrotto bag on sale today for $19.99. It is usually $49.99-$59.99. I bought one. Review once I get it, but it works out great for me since I was in the market for a more compact shoulder bag vs the backpack I've been sporting. I figure even if I hate the bag, I can at least get my money back easily if not a few bucks more.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/dealZone.jsp

If you ever feel like treating yourself, and have a few extra bucks (or $100) get Domke camra bag. Durable as a freaking tank. No joke.

Cool setup strick. Was that for a particular promotion?

It was a limited time theme I did.

Strick, you are by far one of the most talented photographers I've had the pleasure to know. Have you had any of your work published yet? If not, you've got to be on the verge of it. Your stuff is always incredible.

thanky! Just in smaller publications. Nothing notable .

My wife and I just took a trip to the Canadian Rockies and I doubt we will ever get over it. What an amazing and glorious place this place is to see. These pics were made with a Canon T5 Rebel and I'm still learning.  

12011149_1073089419368218_53272394881200

Standing on the Bow River Bridge in Banff, Alberta.

12011184_1073109792699514_27749357637861

This is Spirit Island on Lake Maligne near Jasper National Park.

12003410_1074610742549419_39376840988625

Looking across the Bow River in Banff, Alberta.

12032275_1074127679264392_53903494880829

Moraine Lake

10987412_1074601062550387_27160053733160

Looking down the Bow Valley.

• Like 4