From USMC to NIKE... and California to Tennessee

Guest redblacktrev

Guest redblacktrev

Hey all,

Just moved here to the Millington area (Shelby County/Memphis) with my wife. I recently separated from the Marine Corps and took a job here.

Just one thing that's already driving me crazy: bought ammo from LuckyGunner.com out of Knoxville, showed up to my house lickity-split, opened the boxes, and noticed little tax stamps on every box of ammo. Reminded me of everything I read about the british putting/requiring tax stamps on just about everything in the colonies. Then I go and research the stamps and find out it's considered a "Special Privilege Tax". Just what exactly is such a special privilege about the ability to protect my home and family as I am constitutionally allowed? THIS HAS GOT TO CHANGE PEOPLE!!!

How long has that bogus piece of taxation been on the books? Was there even a fight? Don't give me some line about how it preserves wildlife resources... that's not what firearms and the second amendment are for. TWRA can get their money from hunting and fishing license fees, or state park admissions. Don't tax me if I'm not a hunter and I'm just exercising my constitutional right to defend or practice defending my home and family.

Guess I need to get into a different forum...

Things have not changed much in the former colonies these days.....tax on privileges (driving) ....tax on rights (ammo) ....tax on necessities....(food) ....tax on luxuries (boats) ...tax on death (inheritance)  carbon tax, fuel tax, sin tax, entertainment tax, housing tax.....it boggles the mind how much and how often the .gov gets in/out wallets. I welcome you to a place of less restriction than California. I welcome you to a forum of fellow 2A/gun/personal rights advocates. I welcome you to a life style of gentleman of honor. You are in the South, become a part of it and stand ready to defend it....as those in the former colonies did.  

:usa:  :usa:  :usa:  :usa:  :usa:

• Like 2

Hey all,

Just moved here to the Millington area (Shelby County/Memphis) with my wife. I recently separated from the Marine Corps and took a job here.

Just one thing that's already driving me crazy: bought ammo from LuckyGunner.com out of Knoxville, showed up to my house lickity-split, opened the boxes, and noticed little tax stamps on every box of ammo. Reminded me of everything I read about the british putting/requiring tax stamps on just about everything in the colonies. Then I go and research the stamps and find out it's considered a "Special Privilege Tax". Just what exactly is such a special privilege about the ability to protect my home and family as I am constitutionally allowed? THIS HAS GOT TO CHANGE PEOPLE!!!

How long has that bogus piece of taxation been on the books? Was there even a fight? Don't give me some line about how it preserves wildlife resources... that's not what firearms and the second amendment are for. TWRA can get their money from hunting and fishing license fees, or state park admissions. Don't tax me if I'm not a hunter and I'm just exercising my constitutional right to defend or practice defending my home and family.

Bye!

• Like 4

Hey all,

Thank you for your service.

You come here from California and your not happy with our firearms laws! :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

I have to agree with Enfield, Bye!

Edited by crossfire
  • Like 1

Hey all,

The ammo tax also helps pay for the ranges TWRA administrates, so others have a place where they can practice shooting. 

If you're going to get into a different forum, fine, your loss, not ours.  But if you plan to stay around, enjoy our community, and benefit from it, I would suggest you don't come into someone elses house and proceed tell them what's what, immediately after saying hello.

• Like 5
  • Administrator

Clearly we all should have done something about that pesky ammo tax before he showed up.  Who the heck forgot to do that?!?

Trust me, folks, we're going to have a stern discussion about this at this week's meeting.  And whoever keeps leaving the toilet seat up, Marge in Accounting is plenty ticked about that too.

• Like 6

Small price to pay for what we get out of it. 

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

Welcome to Tennessee.  We have a certain way of doing things here and for many of us our families have been doing it that way here, for generations.  We don't really care how you did it back where ever you came from.  In case you threw your map away when you got here, I'll happily remind you that interstates 40,24,65,75,81, and 26 will get you back to where you came from or a at least headed that way.  You can check http://maps.google.com for more detailed information concerning your route.

• Like 1