What is the ACTUAL approximate wait time to receive my permit in the mail?

I am active military with an Ohio Drivers Licence. 

I live/work in Tennessee so I do meet the requirements.

I took the HCP class today but had to fill out the "long form" (as the instructor refferred to it)  as I couldn't do the online deal through the state website as I have an out of state licence.

I am going to the DL service center in Clarksville in the morning. How long will I likely ACTUALLY be waiting?

As for the class I took it was great, I learned a few things in spite of having 15+years of shooting under my belt.

I took the class for $32 at Clarksvile Guns and Archery for those who want to know. Josh was my instructor.

On a side note I thought I would talk about my class some more, or an observation I made. Atleast half of the people there were, how shall I say, not a good shot. At all. 

I scored(the admittedly easy) 100% with a ragged hole and a dozen fliers(I got lazy and bored so I fired more rapidly)

I still had time to reload my 10rd magazine before other firers had completed their iteration. They also didnt have a very good llooking target(fliers everywhere) but they still passed.

I've never really been huge into pistols, I mean yeah I qualify maybe once a year at most with a M9 and I recently started shooting pistols on my own, but I was just surprised at the comparitive lack of skill.

I'm not trying to cut people down, I just didnt think there were that many bad shots?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not trying to cut people down, I just didnt think there were that many bad shots?

The two that stick out in my class were a girl shooting a gun for the first time in her life with a small hammer-less revolver, and a guy that, no joke, got winded from the live firing.  You can imagine what those conditions will do to someones shot patterns. 

My instructor was very adamant that his class was tailored to the requirements of instruction from TN Dept. of Safety and shouldn't be considered as the end of a new shooters training, just the beginning. 

Edited by btq96r
Thanks for serving! Hopefully your permit will come quickly, mine took a long time only because the postal carrier told the post office I didn't live in my house (I just moved in) it tools over 6 months for me to fix that.

Hopefully those folks you've mentioned will get lots of practice!
  • 2 weeks later...

On a side note I thought I would talk about my class some more, or an observation I made. Atleast half of the people there were, how shall I say, not a good shot. At all. 

I scored(the admittedly easy) 100% with a ragged hole and a dozen fliers(I got lazy and bored so I fired more rapidly)

I still had time to reload my 10rd magazine before other firers had completed their iteration. They also didnt have a very good llooking target(fliers everywhere) but they still passed.

I've never really been huge into pistols, I mean yeah I qualify maybe once a year at most with a M9 and I recently started shooting pistols on my own, but I was just surprised at the comparitive lack of skill.

My mom, who was around 58 or 59 when she qualified, used a Hi Point 9mm and shot the best in her class.  Of course, the previous weekend I had taken her to the range where she would be qualifying (the same one where I had already qualified) and walked her through what to expect.  I don't know what her target looked like but it was apparently good enough that the rest of the people qualifying with her were asking the instructor what kind of gun she had.  I was pretty proud of her when she told me that.

Being the first person I knew who took the class (I have friends who carried, before, but they were LEO of one type or another) I erred on the side of caution and used my S&W 22A .22LR pistol with a 5.5 inch barrel.  When the instructor told us to pull our targets in and count the holes in the 'it counts' zone while he witnessed, he said to me, "Don't bother counting.  You passed."

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest digits2006

been waiting a total of 8 weeks, 6 after finger prints and still not in the mailbox yet

If you are still waiting at this point, contact your state rep or senator. They should be able to help. 

Most of my students have been averaging 12-16 business days but I heard from another instructor I know he's seen students run from as little as 8 days to as much as 8 weeks I'd call tennessee department of safety office and check on it

-Isaiah 41:10- Edited by DixieDawg

Most of my students have been averaging 12-16 business days but I heard from another instructor I know he's seen students run from as little as 8 days to as much as 8 weeks I'd call tennessee department of safety office and check on it

-Isaiah 41:10-

Heh, I first got mine back in 2008 when there was such a big rush to get them and a lot of folks were getting theirs.  Mine took almost the entire 90 days and that was more or less par for the course at the time.  Seems like I applied in early/mid June and the issue date on my permit was August 30.  It didn't actually arrive until the first or second week of September.

Edited by JAB

Heh, I first got mine back in 2008 when there was such a big rush to get them and a lot of folks were getting theirs. Mine took almost the entire 90 days and that was more or less par for the course at the time. Seems like I applied in early/mid June and the issue date on my permit was August 30. It didn't actually arrive until the first or second week of September.

I think alot of it is just random chance as far as time

-Isaiah 41:10-
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On Sunday, March 26, 2017 at 3:52 PM, 2nd4ever said:

Mine took 90 days, but that was 4 years ago. I just applied for a lifetime renewal. Will post on how long I wait. I went Friday 3/23.

Ok so to update, I correct myself that it was 3/24 not 3/23. Now that said today is 4/6 and I recieved my renewal in the mail today. Less than 2 weeks!