Post your pictures.

Guest GunTroll

0130110759-1.jpg

Got another song dog yesterday. Its a new property to me. About 800 acres right on the border of KY. In fact this dog may have come from KY (but was shot legally here in TN). I took out a stranger who caretakes the property. I believe he wanted to judge my character understandable, so thats why he accompanied me. Nice guy FWIW. After about 30-45 min of not seeing anything I figured this set had turned into a BS session so we were taking about deer hunting and such. We were sitting on somewhat of an OP that looked over a two hundred plus acre field so we could talk freely without being busted. My friend spotted two dogs at 800-900 yards heading to our right away from us. He thought that was it. I fired up the Fox Pro Spitfire and gave em' a little adult cotton tale distress and that was all it took to commit em'. We were going to spit up the dogs and take one each but it didn't work out that way. I shot this one and under judged the other by one hundred yards and placed my bullet by its feet. I figured 300 but it was actually 400 yards out. I'd hoped to get my first double :rolleyes: . The one I got was about 80 yards out. Nice hide and color. No mange. Male.

This was my first kill with my new savage mod 10 predator 223 rem. Second dog here in TN. I'm using 40gr V-Max and Tac. Nikon Coyote scope 4.5-14. Spitfire E-call with traditional mouth calls at times. I have to say that predator hunting down here in the south is awesome! Its right up there with Turkey to me. In fact I may go all out and say I'm more of a fan of Predator and Turkey hunting than Deer. But I do still love me some deer hunting :screwy: . Its just different I guess.

Guest GunTroll
You guys are just trying to get me to buy a varmint gun. Then I will be hooked on another hunting drug.

If you would like more of your fawns and poults to make it to adults (knowing that you like to hunt both of those), a little thinning of the preds couldn't hurt. Plus what the hell else is there to do from deer closure to turkey opener other than making the wife go crazy from weird noises? What makes the green grass grow?

Last day of the season, about 20 minutes before closing time. 2 each - all 4 shot less than 30 seconds apart, each of us hunting across the farm from each other. He took 2 does, I took a doe and an antlerless buck.

Talk about a SUPERB way to end the season :)

168967_1746287587797_1557003540_31733193_1920514_n.jpg

Congrats on shooting an antlerless buck!

Caught this guy messing with the dogs! There's about 20+ more where he came from. I ended up calling TWRA and getting permission to hunt them at night since they are such a big problem! Shot him with my Bushmaster MOE, .223 Hornady 55gr Vmax. He went about 10yds!

8bd977ce.jpg

I didn't think the TWRA would let you hunt at night. I have called then before on a place that was overrun by them and they said I couldn't hunt them after dark. They said they could get someone out and put some snares out. This has been around 5 ro 6 years ago though.

I didn't think the TWRA would let you hunt at night. I have called then before on a place that was overrun by them and they said I couldn't hunt them after dark. They said they could get someone out and put some snares out. This has been around 5 ro 6 years ago though.

I asked him if I could hunt at night and use artificial light? He said that it was illegal to do both but when it comes down to protecting livestock and dogs, that I could do what was necessary. He then told me that it would be ok for me to hunt them at night bc we have such a big problem with them. I walked outside last night and it sounded like a bunch of kids screaming (the coyotes) and playing in the back valley!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest GunTroll

hunting006-1.jpg

My first eastern. He's no record but I sure don't care!

9 inch beard, between 18-20 or so lbs, 3/4 spurs, and in my freezer!

Quick story.

I shot and missed yesterday in the same spot. Perhaps the same bird for all I know. I set up the same way except I found a better tree to lean on. I saw one pitch down 175 yards or so out into a 2 acre field I was set up near. I was sitting on a trail/road between two fields. Looked like a good strut lane so I committed to sit there. The bird pitch into the field but I couldn't see where he landed due to the roll of the land. He crept up to my left out of sight but I could here leaves kicking about. He came in behind me and never let me see him. He gobbled a good bit but moved on. I'd guess he was near 50 yards out behind me.

I moved 50 yards on to the other side of the road and took a cat nap. I then replaced the decoys into the field and had this bird thunder down in a hollow 200+/- yards away. I moved to face him about 40 yards from my decoys and the field. The land rolled steeply downward 30 feet or so in front of me and that was also the boundary line. We spoke to each other a little on his journey to me. I thought to my self he was about 100 yards out so I better give him one more call. He really liked my box call and never responded to anything else so I kept with it. When I gave him the last call my shotgun was resting on my right knee and on my shoulder. Both hands were on the call. He let out a gobble 30 feet in front of me just below the little roll I mentioned. I froze and was a bit stunned too! I moved my right hand up to my gun (it has a pistol grip for which I'm glad) and tried to lower the call to the ground but I got scared that he would bust me so I committed to one handed shooting with the aid of my right knee. Luck for me muzzle orientation was perfect. He came in closer while all this "thinking" was going on. I let her loose at about 25 feet when he periscoped. Direct hit to the head. No shot was found in the body. Perfect day! I got him at about 9:00.

Edited by GunTroll
  • 3 weeks later...

First of the year. Been passing up a lot of birds that were o.k, been waiting on a really good one. Well since I have been out hunting fairly hard I decided I had enough, so I told myself if he had an o.k beard and up I'm going to shoot him, no passing up. He is only a year and half bird with 8 1/2 inch beard and almost 1/2 inch spurs, weighed somewhere around 17 to 19 pounds. He's no monster but I'll take him since I have 4 tags (well 3 left now) and only a few more weeks to hunt. He is a really nice bird considering he is still young.

DSCN0856.jpg

DSCN0853.jpg