"Everything mechanical breaks eventually"... my Glock 19 did.

My buddy Brad said " Everything mechanical breaks eventually"...Yep. he's right. :cool:

I was at the range doing some practice drills last Sunday. Completely uneventful range session. When I got home I actually decided to clean my Glock 19. Now that's not something I do after each range session.(I normally just run a bore snake through it) Yes, I can be abusive to my Glock. But having better than 30K of rounds through it, I've come to trust that little sucker.

I'll treat her better in the future.

Here's a few pics of what I found...

Glock%2019%20March%202015%20002_zpsqs4tn

Glock%2019%20March%202015%20009_zpscn0mz

Glock%2019%20March%202015%20005_zpsklqdp

Well Heck! So now I know for certain that a Glock can be broken...you just have to shoot it enough!

Actually I thought it would take more rounds than that...

fwiw I do change my RSA every 1500-2000 rounds and keep my Glocks appropriately lubed.

I contacted Anthony at the Glock service department in Smyrna and he told me to mail it to them. So I did...it should arrive by Friday. We'll see what happens.

As an aside. I carry AIWB in a Dale Fricke Archangel holster. It accommodates my G 17 and G 26...so I'm GTG until my 19 comes home.

But lesson learned on one front...I will be purchasing another 19...just in case. :ugh:

http://dalefrickeholsters.com/product/archangel-appendix-carry/

• Like 2
Wowzers. That's a new one for me! Wonder when that happened, and how many rounds it fired without a hitch in that condition. Cool that it stayed together. Looks like it still had about 70% coverage around the guide rod/spring.

Steve Hennessey, tuner of perfomance cars, says if you aren't breaking them, you aren't trying hard enough. That's after his 1,000 HP Viper caught on fire as a car mag was reviewing it against some other exotics. Haha!
  • Like 2

I hope so peeJ.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I fired around 150-200 rounds that session musicman...ran like a top.

I've not seen this particular issue with a Glock before. My guess is that there was a metallurgic defect in that portion of the slide. Realistically 30K isn't that much ammo to run through a handgun.

(I honestly don't know the exact round count...I stopped tracking it around 30K and that was a few...several...years back).

How often have you changed the recoil spring? It looks like maybe it had lost some of it's "oomph" and had been reaching the end of the spring a lot sooner and faster at each recoil making it hammer instead of a smooth ride back. Glad to hear Glock is making it good.

How often have you changed the recoil spring? It looks like maybe it had lost some of it's "oomph" and had been reaching the end of the spring a lot sooner and faster at each recoil making it hammer instead of a smooth ride back. Glad to hear Glock is making it good.

LOL. the "RSA" in my OP is "Recoil Spring Assembly"...sorry for being "murky"...I change it frequently and have several new ones waiting in my parts kit. :pleased:

Thank you. I hope Glock get's it together for me as well.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

Steve Hennessey, tuner of perfomance cars, says if you aren't breaking them, you aren't trying hard enough. That's after his 1,000 HP Viper caught on fire as a car mag was reviewing it against some other exotics. Haha!

He also said,  "Where's your parts?  What do you mean where's your parts?  I stole from from you and sold them to other people?  Whaaaaaaaat?"

• Like 1

I've seen it when an unassembled slide gets hit hard enough.

Yeah..I've seen them dropped and bend at that point when disassembled as well. Now this one has hit the deck many times in training, but always while it was fully assembled.

OK...I gotta do a search on this "meal" thing fellas. :ugh:

LOL. the "RSA" in my OP is "Recoil Spring Assembly"...sorry for being "murky"...I change it frequently and have several new ones waiting in my parts kit. [emoji14]leased:

Thank you. I hope Glock get's it together for me as well.

I didn't even see that til now. I was back and forth from reading the forum and watching the weather.
  • Like 1

Well anything's possible but most of the breakages I've seen on Gaston's Tupperware have been polymer frame or internal parts related. I am certain you will receive a new replacement slide from Glock if not a replacement pistol because they're that kind of a quality first, customer service company.

My guess is that slide had a stress defect that finally let go on you. A full muzzle first drop assembled or disassembled could induce a stress fracture as well. Bottom line Kaka happens to any and all firearms or related gear but now you've got a cool "I broke a Glock" gun store/firing range story to tell.

• Like 1

Haha TNWNGR,

It's not the first Glock I've had go TU on me.

I blew up a Glock 21 with a double charged handload years back and Glock replaced it. Yes, they do have excellent customer service.

My Glocks are tools, and I treat them that way. I don't actually abuse them, but they do get worked hard and they don't get babied.

There are many excellent handguns being made. I still own a Colt and a few S&W's.

But I am an admitted "Glock Guy" as they've demonstrated a great value for the money since I purchased my first Glock in '92.

I'm a huge Glock fan and owner too and I'm very interested. My two favorite are my Gen 2 17 and my Gen 2.5 30 (no rail) . I use the heck out of mine too and they have scars and scratches and marks. I no longer believe in "safe queens" . My Springfield Armory 1911 gets just as much work and has a few marks on it too. It's amazing at how some people are scared to get a little dirt or scratch on their guns.

Would never happen to a 1911 lol

Maybe not the same kind of slide breakage but I'm sure you've seen 1911 slide and frame cracks as well as the other fiddly things said design craps out on as well. It isn't going to stop me from loving the 1911 or BHP but rather appreciate how well they work in comparison to modern plastic blasters. I've said it before I have a profound love hate relationship to Glock pistol's and issues with their ergonomics. But even with that I've hundreds of training hours and many thousands of rounds downrange through several different Glock's. Bottom line you learn adaptive skillsets to work with the tools provided.