"Everything mechanical breaks eventually"... my Glock 19 did.

Maybe not the same kind of slide breakage but I'm sure you've seen 1911 slide and frame cracks as well as the other fiddly things said design craps out on as well. It isn't going to stop me from loving the 1911 or BHP but rather appreciate how well they work in comparison to modern plastic blasters. I've said it before I have a profound love hate relationship to Glock pistol's and issues with their ergonomics. But even with that I've hundreds of training hours and many thousands of rounds downrange through several different Glock's. Bottom line you learn adaptive skillsets to work with the tools provided.

I've never seen a 1911 do that, ever! And I'm and old man who's been around for a long time. 

It makes one wonder what would happen if the back end of that Glock came apart....

It broke at some point, continued to function and you found out when you got home. Nice to know if it even happens again and you in a bad place it should still work.

The fact Glock will replace/repair no questions asked and you've got a backup, what's not to love.

It reinforces the argument for a 2nd "primary" What if it broke and locked up in class?

My wife's nightstand gun is a G3 G17 and she prefers the ergonomics over my CZ's (which is a good deal for me)
  • Like 1

Things break Lowpower. I've seen slides come off the backend of 1911's...Stuff happens brother. :pleased:

But I sure would hate to see this thread devolve into a Glock vs 1911 thing.

We all make our choices, and live by those decisions. Embrace your 1911 love my friend. They are great guns....but in the end, they are all just tools.  :up:

Thank you Karnage, I trust they will.

Exactly GTG! It kept running. No injury. No harm.  Keep an eye open for a 2nd Gen 3 19 for me would you GTG?  Thank you buddy.

Edited by prag

Things break Lowpower. I've seen slides come off the backend of 1911's...Stuff happens brother. :pleased:

But I sure would hate to see this thread devolve into a Glock vs 1911 thing.

We all make our choices, and live by those decisions. Embrace your 1911 love my friend. They are great guns....but in the end, they are all just tools.  :up:

Thank you Karnage, I trust they will.

Exactly GTG! It kept running. No injury. No harm.  Keep an eye open for a 2nd Gen 3 19 for me would you GTG?  Thank you buddy.

I gotta agree with you, Prag.

More importantly it's good hear no one was hurt and folks are now looking to their own guns for possible defects.

If I remember a historical fact correctly, it was said the original Colt 1911's were supposed to be retired after 100k rounds through 

them due to possible metal fatigue caused by different metallurgy back then. The 1911A1's were supposed to be OK, though. 

:)

I hope no one takes this as a challenge to run 100K + rounds through their Glock as it isn't.

Lp

Edited by Lowpower
  • Like 1

Would never happen to a 1911 lol

Pure unadulterated horse puckey!   :)

There've probably been more 1911 failures than Glock ever will......but I can't back that up with fact.  

brokensa.jpg

amtkaboom2.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Caster
  • Administrator

I've never seen a 1911 do that, ever! And I'm and old man who's been around for a long time. 

It makes one wonder what would happen if the back end of that Glock came apart....

:rolleyes:

There's a lot of other crap a 1911 won't do either.  Like run when it's full of mud, or carry 15 rounds in the same size frame as that Glock 19, or get carried by more police forces than any other handgun, or.... you get the point.

I'm a huge 1911 fan but I am also a huge Glock fan, and a huge M&P fan, etc.  Each have their strengths, each have their weaknesses.  But this slide breakage isn't an inherent weakness of that Glock any more than a freak frame-crack on a 1911 is a weakness of that platform.

• Like 5

As to the break on the OP's pistol, this is why I like a rigid holster that doesn't let anything hit the muzzle.  If youve been carrying this for years and the muzzle is flush or extends past the holster, who knows how many bumps and licks it's taken over the years.  Stress leads to cracks leads to breaks.  

• Like 1

:rolleyes:

There's a lot of other crap a 1911 won't do either.  Like run when it's full of mud, or carry 15 rounds in the same size frame as that Glock 19, or get carried by more police forces than any other handgun, or.... you get the point.

I'm a huge 1911 fan but I am also a huge Glock fan, and a huge M&P fan, etc.  Each have their strengths, each have their weaknesses.  But this slide breakage isn't an inherent weakness of that Glock any more than a freak frame-crack on a 1911 is a weakness of that platform.

I agree. The G-19 is my favorite of Gaston's stable but I also like the M&P 9. Both are a lot of gun in a good service to every day carry sized platform. I know all about what can go wrong with a 1911 or a Glock, it is what it is. That's why you keep a spare of your EDC gun on hand.

As to the break on the OP's pistol, this is why I like a rigid holster that doesn't let anything hit the muzzle.  If youve been carrying this for years and the muzzle is flush or extends past the holster, who knows how many bumps and licks it's taken over the years.  Stress leads to cracks leads to breaks.

The way he carries that 19, if the muzzle was getting overly abused, I'd say he would have other breakage issues to worry about.
  • Like 1

Are you SURE those 1911's were Colts? Seemed like Kimbers and Springers to me but wadoino. 

David, You might look into the why the Police carries it. It's more about politics. All you have to do is look at the 

history of P.D.'s and what they went to from revolvers. You might also look at the response from the average Leo at the time. Way back when 

in a place far far away, when I was a LEO we still carried Revolvers. Our backup and off duty guns could be anything we wanted. I can't remember

anyone I ever knew back then that didn't carry, a read it now, Colt 1911A1.

But as Prag pointed out this is not time or place to discuss the merits between plastic and steel. Anyhow, as long as everyone is safe is what matters. 

The second Springer pic and the Kimber pic up there look like reload disasters; NOT structural integrity issues.

Had a guy blow up his SIG 1911 the other day with a double charged handload.

Came off the range bleeding, said, "I don't know WHAT happened. My SIG blew up on me."

"Factory loads?"

"No, my reloads."

"THAT'S what happened."

He looked at me dumbfounded. :shake: :doh:

Thanks for keeping a great attitude about this.  Folks seem to get really excited when any Glock has a problem or failure.  Just like you stated it is a machine, it can break.  Good luck and let us know how it turns out.  

BTW I also use an Archangel AIWB with both a G17 and G19.  

• Like 1

Thanks for veering back on track folks. I simply wanted to caution folks to periodically check their gear...sometimes we take things for granted.

Caster... I have carried this particular handgun daily for a number of years. While it sees hard use from time to time it is well protected in an appendix IWB holster, currently the Archangel (+1 ehull).

Yep...it's hit the deck in training...but to my knowledge, not muzzle first...that particular ring that broke is normally slightly recessed to flush on a Glock...but all of that was, nor isn't the point I was going after Good Sir.

As I stated earlier, I think there may have been a metallurgic flaw...possibly...but even that is inconsequential.

I primarily wanted to caution folks to check their self defense gear and not assume because it is brand "X" it is invincible. Murphy lives with each and everyone of us. 

edit for clarification...

Edited by prag
Colt and quality are no longer synonymous as they have been in the past. Been that way for years now.
Sam Colt would vomit.

One of the last 1911's I owned or ever will own was a stainless series 80. It would reliably drop the hammer when inserting a magazine.

Yep keeping a constant check on ones EDC HG is excellent advice as even the most experienced of us can develop some aspects of compliancy. Inspecting the point of breakage involved in the G-19 in question here would have been cursory at best for me and unlikely to notice a beginning fracture. My LEO experience was  minor parts breakage and peening all known to be simple PM issues.

LP I carried a Colt 1911for years both on and off duty and as much as I liked the quirky, less then 100% reliable pistol that it was I didn't miss it after transitioning to the Glock. My LEA transitioned from revolvers to the G-22 after a lot of testing because it was economically feasible and more reliable than the then current 2nd & 3rd gen S&W pistols.

What the G-19, particularly the 3rd gen model in question is, is the gold standard in EDC HG reliability. As we've now learned an unexpected frame portion can break and that's an important thing to know. 

• Like 1

I got off the phone with Russell at Glock and he informed me they will be replacing the slide, at no charge, and it should arrive to me within the next 2 weeks. Great customer service folks! :up:

Russell told me that they have only seen this type of failure with Glocks that have been dropped therefore bending that particular area...and that there obviously was no indication of that ever happening to my gun.

I appreciate the excellent customer service from Glock.

So...could I have noticed there was a problem by/when cleaning and inspecting my gun prior to this? I doubt it.

But I'll be looking more carefully at all of my guns and their stress areas when doing cleaning and PM on 'em.

I'll be glad to have my 19 back in my holster. :pleased:

• Like 4

Yep keeping a constant check on ones EDC HG is excellent advice as even the most experienced of us can develop some aspects of compliancy. Inspecting the point of breakage involved in the G-19 in question here would have been cursory at best for me and unlikely to notice a beginning fracture. My LEO experience was  minor parts breakage and peening all known to be simple PM issues.

LP I carried a Colt 1911for years both on and off duty and as much as I liked the quirky, less then 100% reliable pistol that it was I didn't miss it after transitioning to the Glock. My LEA transitioned from revolvers to the G-22 after a lot of testing because it was economically feasible and more reliable than the then current 2nd & 3rd gen S&W pistols.

What the G-19, particularly the 3rd gen model in question is, is the gold standard in EDC HG reliability. As we've now learned an unexpected frame portion can break and that's an important thing to know. 

What frame portion are you talking about ?

W/O posting links to other forums I'll suggest you google Glock slide and frame failure's. Slide rail failures and internal slide stress fractures aft of the breech as well as polymer frame cracks and failures. These are mostly in heavy usage pistols. It comes down to the simple fact all firearms have a life cycle where stuff just starts to break. How soon depends on how much they're used. Sometimes a rebuild solves the problem other times its just prudent to replace the gun. This is one of the reasons to have an identical version of your EDC gun as you spread the training cycle between the two of them.

• Like 1

Excellent point TNWNGR!

I totally agree that these thing do have a "use life"...shoot them long enough and hard enough and they will certainly wear out.

I am curious to see how many more round my particular 19 will go once I get the new slide. I have 1000 rounds setting and waiting for it to arrive "back home". :pleased:

While I have a 17 and 26 similarly grip modified, I will be purchasing another Gen 3 19 as soon as I find one at a reasonable (to me) price. Hard lesson learned, especially when I know better...

• Like 1

I would think Gen 4 will break in that area sooner because it is thinner there. It Seems to be common with enough rounds , but I don't see me shooting that many through one. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ95q9xKb3o

Interesting video Keyless.

It looks like my particular breakage at the 21 second mark, and the vid should also encourage Glock owners to inspect, closely, the various "break points". In my case it will require a magnifying glass though for some of them. :pleased:

It's also good to know the majority of the Glocks shown had remarkably high round counts...but I didn't even come close to 200,000...but I had hoped for at least 100,000 rounds out of her.