new long Gun

none

Looking for ideas. My son's birthday is coming up going to be 11. So I am looking for some ideas? He has a 10/22 already. So I was thinking about a 17 hmr? Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

I'm not a fan of the 17 HMR. I had one that I toyed with for a while, and for me, it fit in a niche that was not there. 

If you want more punch, get a .223 or a .243.

However, it's my opinion that every boy needs a shotgun.  Perhaps a .410 or 20 ga single shot or pump gun would be in order. 

If he already has a rimfire, it would be time to step him up to a centerfire caliber. I think a .223 or .243 would be a great investment for him. 

Of course a 20ga break action shotgun wouldn't be a bad choice either.

I just fail to see the benefit of a .17HMR if he already has a 10/22 and doesn't have a shotgun or centerfire rifle.

A single action .22LR pistol wouldn't be a bad idea either. I know my daughter has been pestering me for a Heritage Rough Rider of her own for a couple of years now, and she has a long way to go to eleven.

I just fail to see the benefit of a .17HMR if he already has a 10/22 and doesn't have a shotgun or centerfire rifle.

Agree with Murg on this one, the mechanics behind a .17 would be pretty much the same as a .22 except for the bullet, so it wouldn't be much of an 'upgrade' for lack of a better term.

Maybe something like a .410/.45 colt so he can bounce between different loads & be able to shoot a nice fat centerfire caliber out of it as well.  I'm sure there's a bunch around, but here's one that popped up at walmart for sale:  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rossi-Curcuit-Judge-Shotgun-.410-Bore-.45-Colt/17200849

Could go halfway on speed and go with a pistol caliber rifle. Something like a lever gun in .357 and you can shoot .38's for low recoil target practice and come deer season or wow factor time you can shoot full house .357, plenty good for deer to about 150. Also consider the Ruger 77/357 if you wanted to keep it in the Ruger family. A gun he'll never outgrow would be a nice marlin 336 in 30-30.
  • Like 2

Could go halfway on speed and go with a pistol caliber rifle. Something like a lever gun in .357 and you can shoot .38's for low recoil target practice and come deer season or wow factor time you can shoot full house .357, plenty good for deer to about 150. Also consider the Ruger 77/357 if you wanted to keep it in the Ruger family. A gun he'll never outgrow would be a nice marlin 336 in 30-30.

My stepfather gave me a Marlin lever gun in .357 Magnum growing up. That was one heck of a gun and holds a soft spot in my heart. One day I will talk him out of it, as he kept possession when I left home the way I did.

My first gun was a small Marlin 22lr (kids size)

Then for passing to the 5th grade, I got a Ruger 10/22 with folding stock and all. I still have that gun.

I don't recall how old I was, but my Dad got me a Ruger 22 revolver of this type: http://ruger.com/products/newModelSingleSixConvertible/models.html

I had TONS of fun wit that gun!

Then, he got me one of these:

http://www.ruger.com/products/markIIIStandard/models.html

For some reason, I had more fun with the revolver. I think it was because I used to like dressing up like a cowboy. The other part is I liked the 22mag cylinder I could swap up to. :up:

I begged my Dad to get me a lever action 30/30 when I was a kid, but it kicked too hard and I didn't like shooting it.

Every young man in that age must have a 410 single shot. Leave the centerfire to later. Don't rush him to grow up.

I agree. I had a .410 single shot before I had a BB gun or paintball gun. I was taught responsibility for what I shot at a young age.

I vote for a .410 single shot or a .22 single action revolver. A ruger bearcat would be nice
Are you a hunting family? Shooting family? Both? If you are a hunting family that Rossi combo is hard to beat for that age group. I bought one for my youngest and it stands ready for grandchild action now. You can't go wrong with whatever you decide, a young persons first guns are ALL heirloom quality to them.
Happy Birthday young man.

Might look at a Savage Axis xp in .223. Not a lot of money and .223 ammo will always be available, easy round to reload. Boyds makes a laminated upgrade stock if you want something that is more eye appealing.

We may start turkey they are all over our property lately. We shoot together as a family much more so now that my son is getting a little older. He likes his 10/22 but has said he would like a lever action rifle. Not sud if they make them but I am going to see if they make a 410 in a lever action. Its mostly going to be a just because gun. Might as well get him started early. As I am sure its going to develop into a pattern lol.

I agree. I had a .410 single shot before I had a BB gun or paintball gun. I was taught responsibility for what I shot at a young age.

I vote for a .410 single shot or a .22 single action revolver. A ruger bearcat would be nice

AND,,, it's got to be an H&R Topper.   :)

My very first gun, then at 15 I had to get a 12guage so my friends would laugh at my wennie gun, you know how hillbilly teenagers are.

Looking for ideas. My son's birthday is coming up going to be 11. So I am looking for some ideas? He has a 10/22 already. So I was thinking about a 17 hmr? Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

I had a friend I used to work with, he always got his limit of deer every year with the same ol .243 bolt action he had as a young kid. It's a small caliber but the ballistics make up for that. I believe I read they push over 3000 fps or more on most loads, can't remember the bullet weights.

AND,,, it's got to be an H&R Topper. :)
My very first gun, then at 15 I had to get a 12guage so my friends would laugh at my wennie gun, you know how hillbilly teenagers are.

Mine was a New England Firearms Pardner. Now called the H&R Pardner. Essentially the same gun but I believe yours may have had a vent rib?
  • Like 1

Mine was a New England Firearms Pardner. Now called the H&R Pardner. Essentially the same gun but I believe yours may have had a vent rib?

No it didn't have a vent rib but they are pretty much the same as the NEF shotguns.