New to me classic deer rifle

[url=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/IMG_2681_zps9cwo7qla.jpg.html]IMG_2681_zps9cwo7qla.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/IMG_2682_zpsb3wr7gxm.jpg.html]IMG_2682_zpsb3wr7gxm.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/IMG_2683_zpskn5ej4mt.jpg.html]IMG_2683_zpskn5ej4mt.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/IMG_2685_zps6yvrxtjc.jpg.html]IMG_2685_zps6yvrxtjc.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/IMG_2686_zpsn4lztpj3.jpg.html]IMG_2686_zpsn4lztpj3.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/IMG_2687_zpscwopjjbe.jpg.html]IMG_2687_zpscwopjjbe.jpg[/URL]

I finally got to get out and do some shooting today. I bought this one a few weeks back. I was looking for a 9mm. Talk about ADD. It's a 1949 model 70 Winchester standard in 30-06. It came with a Redfield 1 piece mount and rings, and a 3-9 Redfield scope. My very first handload attempt rewarded me with a 1", 100 yard 3 shot group. The trigger is great, and the action glides like it's on ball bearings. Once upon a time, Winchester built world class firearms.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 7

Remember when Winchester didn't have to farm out to a Japanese company to get quality?  

...I don't, I was born in '77, but still, It's a shame you can't get a production model rifle, made in the USA, that's THAT nice anymore.  Savage is great but not pretty or finely finished.  Remington makes doodoo.  Weatherby costs a FORTUNE unless you buy a Japanese made model {see a trend here?}  

Montana and Cooper are out of most of our leagues.

NICE.  VERY nice indeed.  

Remember when Winchester didn't have to farm out to a Japanese company to get quality?  

...I don't, I was born in '77, but still, It's a shame you can't get a production model rifle, made in the USA, that's THAT nice anymore.  Savage is great but not pretty or finely finished.  Remington makes doodoo.  Weatherby costs a FORTUNE unless you buy a Japanese made model {see a trend here?}  

NICE.  VERY nice indeed.  

I dunno.....Kimber makes a mighty nice rifle here. It puts me in mind of an old Winchester.

NICE.  VERY nice indeed.  

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/IMG_1683.jpg.html]IMG_1683.jpg[/URL]

Actually, this one was built in New Haven. I don't see any shortcomings in it. I don't have one, but they tell me the ones now made in South Carolina are of good quality as well.

I still have my favorite deer rifle I hunted deer with back in the 60's when we first moved to Tennessee and my folks inherited the Ranch in Cheatham county. 2000 acres with about 800 acres of timber. The only thing separating our property from the Cheatham County Game Reserve was an old rusty barbwire fence. A friend of my grandfathers came by and ask if he and his two sons would still be allowed to hunt the ranch with my family now owning the Ranch. My father spoke up and said nothing would change and yes they could hunt. The man walked out to his truck and he brought back in a 7MM Mauser that had been beautiful sporterized with a 4x12 Leupold scope and a box of ammo. He asked me if I owned a deer rifle and I said not yet and he handed me the gun and the ammo and said you do now.. That gun is still in my sons safe. I bagged a lot of deer with that gun and people can talk about many different long gun rifles and their bolt actions and I have owned several other guns and yea, I killed deer with them but I have yet to find one that can top that 7MM Mauser bolt action for smoothness................jmho

• Like 1

I still have my favorite deer rifle I hunted deer with back in the 60's when we first moved to Tennessee and my folks inherited the Ranch in Cheatham county. 2000 acres with about 800 acres of timber. The only thing separating our property from the Cheatham County Game Reserve was an old rusty barbwire fence. A friend of my grandfathers came by and ask if he and his two sons would still be allowed to hunt the ranch with my family now owning the Ranch. My father spoke up and said nothing would change and yes they could hunt. The man walked out to his truck and he brought back in a 7MM Mauser that had been beautiful sporterized with a 4x12 Leupold scope and a box of ammo. He asked me if I owned a deer rifle and I said not yet and he handed me the gun and the ammo and said you do now.. That gun is still in my sons safe. I bagged a lot of deer with that gun and people can talk about many different long gun rifles and their bolt actions and I have owned several other guns and yea, I killed deer with them but I have yet to find one that can top that 7MM Mauser bolt action for smoothness................jmho

You don't have a picture you could share with us do you? We like Mausers......and pictures.

You don't have a picture you could share with us do you? We like Mausers......and pictures.

I can have some next time I go visit my son I will take some pictures of it. Last time down I went through his safe and cleaned and oiled what few guns i had in there and next time I go down I need to get my Charles Hawkins Muzzle loader out and bring it home. I have a guy that wants to buy it just to hang over his fireplace and I have not fired it in 20+ years so that will be another safe queen gone............. :up:   

Gregintenn, you have a wonderful rifle. There are two things you need to know about it. First, on the older Model 70's the stock tended to crack down in the action mortise between the trigger mortise and the magazine mortise. This is easily repaired if cracked.

Secondly, most Mauser type rifles have two guard screws, one at the front of the mag and the other at the rear of the trigger guard. Both must be kept extremely tight. Well, the Model 70 has a
third screw, which holds the front end of the trigger guard in place. Never tighten this screw anywhere near as tight as the front and rear guard screws or it will warp the action. Just keep it
snudge and no more. It has nothing to do with mating up the action to the stock.

If you find the stock cracked as above, get back to me and I'll give you the prescribed fix. Best of luck with such a great find.

Gregintenn, you have a wonderful rifle. There are two things you need to know about it. First, on the older Model 70's the stock tended to crack down in the action mortise between the trigger mortise and the magazine mortise. This is easily repaired if cracked.

Secondly, most Mauser type rifles have two guard screws, one at the front of the mag and the other at the rear of the trigger guard. Both must be kept extremely tight. Well, the Model 70 has a
third screw, which holds the front end of the trigger guard in place. Never tighten this screw anywhere near as tight as the front and rear guard screws or it will warp the action. Just keep it
snudge and no more. It has nothing to do with mating up the action to the stock.

If you find the stock cracked as above, get back to me and I'll give you the prescribed fix. Best of luck with such a great find.

Thanks for the info. it isn't my first model 70; just my most recent. How do you like this 243 featherweight?

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/IMG_1852-1.jpg.html]IMG_1852-1.jpg[/URL]

It's all but new.

Absolutely beautiful. The worst slap I ever had was from a prewar Model 70 in .270 with a max. handload in it. The owner failed to tell me about the max handload and I walked away with a blood blister in the shape of the steel buttplate on my shoulder. Those are interesting scope mounts. What are they?

Absolutely beautiful. The worst slap I ever had was from a prewar Model 70 in .270 with a max. handload in it. The owner failed to tell me about the max handload and I walked away with a blood blister in the shape of the steel buttplate on my shoulder. Those are interesting scope mounts. What are they?

Bausch and Lomb. These were very good scopes in the day. The adjustments are in the mounts; not the scope.

Under the scope rings is a spring loaded plunger assembly that holds the scope in place. It puts downward pressure into the v block tops of the mounts. You can push the scope forward and tilt it up to remove it. Replace it and it is still zeroed correctly. A brilliant but simple idea in my opinion.

You can still find these occasionally on ebay, gunbroker, etc. at quite reasonable prices.

Edited by gregintenn