Dollywood

none

It is family appropriate, but be prepared for your wallet to be raped!

It's been about a decade since I've been there. About mid afternoon, we got hungry. I bought 4 hot dogs and 4 cokes. The total.........$56!!!!!!!

I ain't going back.

Holiday World in Indiana is as good if not better, at a fraction of the price.

• Like 3

Went there for Christmas a few years ago.  $15 for a plastic cup of hot chocolate.....BUT, refills were free for the day.  

I was sick at my stomach by the end of the day needless to say and I had the people we were with save their soda cups so i could do a dump and refill.  In the end, the $15 was well worth it.

BUT, the guys are right, Dolly's stuff is PRICEY!

It is family appropriate, but be prepared for your wallet to be raped!

It's been about a decade since I've been there. About mid afternoon, we got hungry. I bought 4 hot dogs and 4 cokes. The total.........$56!!!!!!!

I ain't going back.

Holiday World in Indiana is as good if not better, at a fraction of the price.

Drove past there a few times when we lived in Indiana but never tried it. I am kind of trying to come up with a few things to try this summer.
Been there a bunch. My kids love it. Plenty of rides, shows, and games for most all kids. Typically some good live music being played. Various crafts people making stuff (blacksmith, leather smith, carriage shop).

Yep, it's expensive (food, parking, souvenirs, ...) But no more so than any other similar park. Very crowded at the typical times (weekends, holidays, etc.).

I don't mean to offend anyone, but Splash Country can be white trash central. Some things can't be unseen...
  • Like 4

Had a friend offer to take my two boys to Disney World in Florida while he was taking his two children for a three day trip. I thought it would be fun for the kids and it was all that and more. They talked about it for a week or more after getting home. I told my friend to keep a toll of the costs and I we reimburse him when they got back home. 3 days for 2 kids $750.00 + change and this was back in 1984. I made up my mind right then I would never go to anything like or related to a attraction like it.  Went to 6 Flags a 3 times with family and had a blast every time and never spent $750.00 total for all 3 trips. There are many places to go and have fun and not have to mortgage the home to do it..............jmho

Had a friend offer to take my two boys to Disney World in Florida while he was taking his two children for a three day trip. I thought it would be fun for the kids and it was all that and more. They talked about it for a week or more after getting home. I told my friend to keep a toll of the costs and I we reimburse him when they got back home. 3 days for 2 kids $750.00 + change and this was back in 1984. I made up my mind right then I would never go to anything like or related to a attraction like it.  Went to 6 Flags a 3 times with family and had a blast every time and never spent $750.00 total for all 3 trips. There are many places to go and have fun and not have to mortgage the home to do it..............jmho

We went to Disney last year. Seemed like it was lacking something? People were kind of rude and impolite. Guess that's a lot of places any more. I was also kicking around the idea of Savanna Georgia? They are supposed to have a lot of paranormal places there. My wife and son enjoy that kind of thing. For me its about spending time with family.

We went to Disney last year. Seemed like it was lacking something? People were kind of rude and impolite. Guess that's a lot of places any more. I was also kicking around the idea of Savanna Georgia? They are supposed to have a lot of paranormal places there. My wife and son enjoy that kind of thing. For me its about spending time with family.

If you're into paranormal the following cities have something to offer.

Boston
Charleston
New Orleans
Salem
Savannah

We done tours in each. Lots of PA in towns with a civil war past.

I used to live near Savannah, so to me its "meh."  However, it has been proclaimed as the most haunted city in Georgia, and there are ghost tours of the downtown area. If you go, read the book Savannah Spectres first.  There may be more recent ghost books specific to Savannah.  I used to really be into ghosts, but I never did anything other than normal history tours that happened to mention ghosts.  If you like history, especially antebellum period, then Savannah is a nice place since Sherman kindly spared the city and gave it to Lincoln as a Christmas present.  There are some houses from the colonial period, which is rare in Georgia thanks to Sherman.  

Dollywood, to me, was like a nicer version of Six Flags in Atlanta.  Maybe not as much thrill rides, but it seemed less crowded than Six Flags, more shaded in some places, and the patrons seemed nicer.  Also, I like the mountain setting compared to the concrete jungle of Atlanta (I've live there also).  Splash Country was a smaller, nicer version of White Water in Atlanta.  Sorry, but most of my frames of reference are from Georgia. 

Drove past there a few times when we lived in Indiana but never tried it. I am kind of trying to come up with a few things to try this summer.

I'd recommend a trip to Chattanooga. Several things to see and do downtown. The Aquarium, The Lookouts baseball, etc.

Also, right across the line into Georgia is an old fashioned amusement park called Lake Winnepesaukah. It's not a huge place, but it's like you stepped back in time. We really enjoy it.

In Bowling Green, KY., you can tour the Corvette museum, see the Lost River Cave, and go to Beech Bend amusement park. It's not bad either.

Well, I guess I have to admit my wife and kids basically live there.  My work does it annual picnic there and the annual passes are like $25 for us.  I myself go for the picnic, and may 1-2 times more a year.  But wifee and kids go about every other week beginning in April. 

Its a lot of fun for the kids, and adults too if you like the shows.  I have been going there ever since it was Gold Rush Junction, and before that it was the Golden Spike Railroad (I think).  To me its nice for family, especially the working man family.   But if you like the finer things in life, I would recommend DW.

We are starting our third year with season passes and my wife and twin 4 year old daughters love it. It's an hour from our house in Knoxville, so on weekdays when I am not working we will take a vacation day (I'm the boss so hey!) and spend a day up there.

There really are rides for everyone. We start when our girls first turned two and now (because I am freakishly tall) can ride everything except the really big coasters. It really does have something for everyone. It's very country, but in a good way. And the workers are super nice. You just don't really meet any grumpy employees.

It can be pricy going for just a day, but the season passes for my wife (gold and regular) come out to $200 for the year...plus since we renewed our passes before our girls turned 4 they get it free all year (yeah, we called twice to confirm that because that was the craziest thing we've ever heard.) With a gold pass we get 20% off food, so when we eat in the park, it's really not any more than a moe's or other higher end counter food. But often times we just sneak sammies into the park. You're not supposed to (unlike disney that doesn't care as long as you don't bring in coolers or glass bottles) but employees have seen us and not said anything.

If you go, get the cinnamon bread at the grist mill. it's the best thing in the park and super good when it's cold outside.

I went to Dolly wood for the first time this past october. Probably going to be my last time as well.

Not because of anything bad, but i can have my own roller coaster rides out on the trails at Windrock atv park. ( thankfully no loopty-loops).

But i have found out some tricks to getting your money out of dollywood. If you go after a certian time into the park, you get the next day for free.

Buy the refillable souveiner cup, it's free refills all day long.

in chatt we got lake winnepesaukah.  hard to beat it.  get a all day ride pass for cheap.  you can ride all you want as much as you want.  food prices are like normal fast food chains.  they have live bands on some saturdays nights.  been around for years.  i use to swim in the pool in the 60's.  in chatt we got a lots of other stuff to do and the prices are better than dolly wood and etc...

Anyone been there? If so was it family appropriate? And fun?

Thank you

Probably the most family appropriate park in the US.

Plan around Rod Runs and you should be happy. 

Eat before you go into the park, fill your pockets with snacks not your bags. 

"Alcohol and Weapons

Almost forgot, don't wear a white shirt on the coal fired train.

Edited by Tncobra
  • Moderators

Wife and I have been to Savvanah several times. We love it there. Will be a while until we go back but it is a nice place. I don't care anything about ghosts or the like but there are a lot of those "tours".

I'd recommend a trip to Chattanooga. Several things to see and do downtown. The Aquarium, The Lookouts baseball, etc.

Also, right across the line into Georgia is an old fashioned amusement park called Lake Winnepesaukah. It's not a huge place, but it's like you stepped back in time. We really enjoy it.

In Bowling Green, KY., you can tour the Corvette museum, see the Lost River Cave, and go to Beech Bend amusement park. It's not bad either.

Chattanooga? Yeah, well I guess it's ok;)

Really though, I guess for someone that has never been to Chattanooga it would be worth it for a trip downtown in the nice areas. Stay in the nice areas, but that goes for anywhere I suppose, including Savannah, Georgia. Edited by CZ9MM

We get season passes every other year.  It's nice to be able to go whenever and not feel like you need to stay all day to get your money's worth.  My favorite time to go is after work in the summer when the park is open late.  

As has been said, it is a very family friendly park with plenty for little kids to do, but they have also built some really good rides in the past few years.  

The last time we went to Disney World, the bowl of mac-n-cheese that my 5 year-old ordered at a princess dinner cost me $30.  The Dollywood food is not so bad compared to that.  

We just got back from disney.

The kids still get in free, but 2 days admission cost the wife and I almost $400. 

Bottled waters and cokes are like $3.50

Its crazy hello expensive, but I'll be back.

Man, I spent about $5000 the last time we went to Disney. You could ride a shuttle from our room to the lobby of the resort we stayed in. As big as the place was, sometimes we did.  All meals, drinks, and snacks were included. So was a round trip flight. My wife and kids swear it was worth it. There's a LOT to do and see there.

Edited by gregintenn
I'll parrot what others have already said. It's family friendly, enough to do to keep you busy for a full day, and expensive.

I used to get free passes because I worked in the area, and no matter what I did, I don't think I ever got out of there without spending $100.00 for parking and a couple of meals. That's being stingy too. I'd expect you'd easily be out $500 for a family of 4 for tickets, parking and food.

Protips: Bring snacks. Park at patriot park in Pigeon Forge and take the trolly to dollywood to save on parking. Don't eat the fried foods like corndogs and fries(their oil isn't hot enough and it comes out SUPER greasy) Gross.