Asshat at the range today

I went to the range with my brother today to shoot some stuff for his birthday. After we had been there about 2 hrs this older gentleman pulls up and gets out with a bag, he stands behind us until we are done shooting and while we are talking he stats walking around picking up brass. Well after a few minutes this asshat says "hey buddy that's my brass your picking up do you work here or something?" To witch the older gentleman said " I am so sorry I didn't see you picking any up so I thought you were going to leave it, you see me and a couple other Vets get together and reload ammo and talk on the weekends and we ran low on brass this weekend". After that I, yes I am the ASSHAT, helped him pick up the rest and thanked him for his service to our country.

After I removed my foot from my mouth my brother and I sat there for another hour just talking to this wonderful gentleman, it turned out to be a very nice day, and I know he should have asked before picking up someones brass, but yes I still feel like a total asshat for disrespecting that nice older gentelman. 

• Like 10

I went to the range with my brother today to shoot some stuff for his birthday. After we had been there about 2 hrs this older gentleman pulls up and gets out with a bag, he stands behind us until we are done shooting and while we are talking he stats walking around picking up brass. Well after a few minutes this asshat says "hey buddy that's my brass your picking up do you work here or something?" To witch the older gentleman said " I am so sorry I didn't see you picking any up so I thought you were going to leave it, you see me and a couple other Vets get together and reload ammo and talk on the weekends and we ran low on brass this weekend". After that I, yes I am the ASSHAT, helped him pick up the rest and thanked him for his service to our country.

After I removed my foot from my mouth my brother and I sat there for another hour just talking to this wonderful gentleman, it turned out to be a very nice day, and I know he should have asked before picking up someones brass, but yes I still feel like a total asshat for disrespecting that nice older gentelman. 

Ehh, he could have waited until you left, or just asked you.  With ammo prices what they are these days, some people take their brass seriously. 

Also, I'm instantly suspicious of people who volunteer that their veteran status in a confrontation.  Why not use just say friends, or buddies? 

• Like 4

Where do yall shoot at? Bubbling Springs? Last few times I've drove up there to shoot, it has been too crowded. Just curious, I need to find somewhere locally to shoot.

Yeah bubbling springs it wasn't to bad today when we were there, I have seen it packed on the weekends, I usually go on weekdays and mostly have the place to myself. We use to go on Chan Grays farm on Cave Church rd but after he passed his kids put a stop to us shooting back there. I never did like his kids lol.

Ehh, he could have waited until you left, or just asked you.  With ammo prices what they are these days, some people take their brass seriously. 

Also, I'm instantly suspicious of people who volunteer that their veteran status in a confrontation.  Why not use just say friends, or buddies? 

I would rather just believe him, and if it was bull I really don't want to find out lol he was a nice old guy, and I am pretty sure he wasn't BSing us, he seemed genuinely sorry for not asking first.

I don't think you disrespected him in any way. I do believe he disrespected you however.

• Like 1

Actually your not the one who was out of line the fellow flinching your brass was and his doing so in the manner you've described indicates he's done so before. I'm all about AMVETS and DV but have seen more than a few use it to their advantage to get their way or get away with some act of rudeness or such. Your kindness and forbearance towards the individual in question speaks well of you.  

• Like 2

Well, being a vet is all well and good but that doesn't give anyone the right to take what was essentially your property until you had clearly relinquished any claim to it.  For all he knew you, too, might be low on brass and wanting to keep yours for reloading and as it was your brass you should have first claim to it.  If that were the case then his 'need' for your brass does not outweigh yours and being a vet does not change that.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1
Guest Lowbuster
He should have asked. For those of us that reload ourselves, I would have found it inappropriate. I respect every vet I meet, but I don't grant special rites to anyone

yep he should have axed you before taking it.

I deal with lots of old vets at the store.  Some of them need to get help,  some of them are jerks and some are truly nice people.

None of them have a right to take brass off the ground that was mine.  Ask me and I will help you pick it up. I don't want it.  But don't assume because you are old and have a vet story that you are exempt from common courtesy.

Glad it worked out for all involved.

• Like 1