Jerky maranade mix

I just finished putting some deer in my jerky marinade, and it got me thinking about different marinades. I use to love to experiment with different mixtures until I found one I and my family love. Honestly I make around 10lbs and it lasts maybe 3 days once my kids find out it's done. So if you want post your favorite marinade mix for others, including myself to try out. 

Mine is:

1 cup wisticher sauce

1/2 cup soy sauce

1/2 cup A1

1/2 cup cracked pepper corns

1/4 cup texas pete

2 tbs of paprika

And for the spicier batch I add 2 tbs of cayenne pepper

Soak 6/8 hrs I usually let it soak over night.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use to make Jerky back years ago and i actually had folks wanting to buy mine. There are many recipes out there for the marinades folks use and most of them are similar. I only had one secret ingredient that I never saw in anyone else's  and since I don't make it any more I guess I will share it.

I would make up the marinade with all the spices, many of them listed above. 

3 bottles of Dales Marinade (This product has Soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and a few other ingredients included) 

small amount of ground dried cayenne pepper

Tabasco Sauce

Paprika

Combine all in bowl and put in fridge stirring ever so often letting set over night. The following day I would add the secret ingredient. About 1/2 bottle of Oil Italian Salad Dressing and let it set in fridge stirring a couple times while preparing the meat slices. I would put all the meat in the marinade making sure each piece got covered and soak over night. I had 2  ten drawer dehydrators and I would make a bunch of it, actually dedicating a weekend to it. Anyone that tried a piece of it wanted to buy some. I never sold any but did take donations to cover cost of materials so I could make more. I began having guys show up with deer meat all sliced up and wanting me to do deer meat. Because I could not use the same dehydrator for the wild game I had them buy a dehydrator and I would make their jerky for them. I passed that work down to my grandson as he got older and I think he does sell USDA inspected beef jerky from time to time and he charges the guys to do the deer jerky for his time because he slices it now. If anyone ever decides to try the Italian oil dressing don't over do the oil. If your making say a gallon or close to a gallon don't use more than about 10 ounces of oil.......................................... :up:    

I once went all out on jerky, freezing the meat slightly to aid in the slicing; using many a marinade and spice recipes.  But recently I started using the jerky guns and premixed spices.  I was skeptical about using ground venison for jerky, I had purchased a kit but stored it away for years.  One year my freezer went out so had to use all the meat that was in there, so I decided to try it and I have to tell you it came out pretty good.  I still slice every once in awhile but mainly I now use the "caulking gun" method. 

I once went all out on jerky, freezing the meat slightly to aid in the slicing; using many a marinade and spice recipes.  But recently I started using the jerky guns and premixed spices.  I was skeptical about using ground venison for jerky, I had purchased a kit but stored it away for years.  One year my freezer went out so had to use all the meat that was in there, so I decided to try it and I have to tell you it came out pretty good.  I still slice every once in awhile but mainly I now use the "caulking gun" method. 

I've been wanting to get one of those and try it out, but like you I have been skeptical, it just seems like you could use so many other spicing mixes with the ground meat than the sliced, I may go ahead and purchase one this year since you have had success with it. I couldn't find anyone who had used one before to ask about it. Does the higher fat content in most ground meat cause a problem? and do you make round pieces or long flat ones. How does it save? Is it tender or does it get dry and brittle. sorry to blast so many ?s but I have been wondering for a while lol

I've been wanting to get one of those and try it out, but like you I have been skeptical, it just seems like you could use so many other spicing mixes with the ground meat than the sliced, I may go ahead and purchase one this year since you have had success with it. I couldn't find anyone who had used one before to ask about it. Does the higher fat content in most ground meat cause a problem? and do you make round pieces or long flat ones. How does it save? Is it tender or does it get dry and brittle. sorry to blast so many ?s but I have been wondering for a while lol

I use the flat nozzle with venison, never really tried it with beef so not sure about higher fat content in that, but venison once mixed with cure and the spices is quite putty like.  Depending on how long you leave it in the dehydrator will determine how long it can be stored.  The less moisture you leave in the longer it will last, but you don't want it too dry though it still tastes good if you do.  Of course, good luck trying to let it last; mine goes quick.  I got the LEM jerky gun it holds about two lbs, and use Nesco spices because each pack set does one lb.

I make turkey jerky using ground turkey. I don't make as much at a time as you guys do, I use 2 1/2 lbs per batch.  That's about all my little dehydrator will do.  It goes quick when I make it though! 

My marinade consists of

1/2 cup of Tamari

Juice of 2 lemons

1 teaspoon of onion salt

1/2 teaspoon on garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon of black pepper

1/4 teaspoon of salt

1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper.

That goes into a jerky gun with a flat nozzle. and into my dehydrator at 150 for 4 hours.  Comes out perfect!!!

I bought my dehydrator at Bed, Bath and Beyond for $49+tax and my jerky gun at Gander for $15+tax. 

Edited by Moped