Garand Help!?

CM1021

I just traded into this garand and I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with some information on it and what it's worth? The guy I got it from said it's a 1944 and he bought it from the Marine corps? I didn't know if people could actually buy weapons from the military or not. All I know about it is it's an all matching numbers springfield. Wondering if the matching numbers increases the price or not? Anyone know what it's worth? The local gun shop said around 1300 but I think they were wanting to buy it. It's not for sale but I have never dealt with the military firearms so I'm at a loss on this one. He also threw in this ammo with it as well. 400 rds.

garand%204_zpst3acjloe.jpg

garand_zpsell3zjzp.jpg

garand%202_zpsuupcabfg.jpg

garand%203_zpspm06dcjx.jpg

garand%205_zpsye3z81ii.jpg

CMP was created by an act of Congress, so I guess you could say they are “The Government”. The Marine Corps didn’t sell rifles. If it came from CMP it should have a cert with it.

Hard to say what it’s worth without checking the condition, but if you want to sell it and a gun store offered you $1300; they were offering you a very fair price. If you don’t want to sell to them please post the name of the shop because I’m sure there are some here that would sell theirs for $1300; I know I would.

So has the price come down on them a bit? I thought they were selling for more than that a while back.

They were $500-$600 from CMP. But I know they are low and they may be going for more now. The guys at the gun shows were buying them for around that price and trying to turn them for a grand; I didn’t see many selling at that price. But the supply is becoming less so you might find someone that would give you $1300, but I doubt a store could get anymore for it.

Ok. Can anyone really tell what grade I have by the pics? I figure it's a long shot but just wondering.

No, it depends on the throat erosion and what the muzzle gages.
I take it you don’t have a CMP cert, have you checked the “numbers Matching” or is that what he told you?

You Garand was made in May 1944.

We would need several more and very detailed pictures in order to offer any estimate of its value.

The term "numbers matching" in the Garand Collector world would mean that every component's drawing number, heat lot code, inspector markings, etc., etc., would have to be in the correct range for the rifle's serial number.  That requires a detailed disassembly of the rifle to confirm.  A WWII production Garand with all matching parts is rare and we refer to them as Correct Grade. 

The bayonet is a Model 1905 that is referred to as a "cut-down" from when the blades were cut from 16″ to 10″ during WWII.  There should be a date on the opposite side of the blade.

The ammo is some of the Korean M2 ball that came in a few years ago.  It is very corrosive.

• Like 5

CM1021,

First and foremost..., Congratulations on now having “The greatest battle implement ever devised.” - GEN Patton.

TONs and I mean TONs and good information out there for the Garand.

Here is a good place to start, the CMP's page where Garand nomenclature is covered. 

http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/nomenclature.html

For a Garand to be a correct grade every one of those parts would have to match the time period of the rifle's serial number.

JMHO, but most folks who worry about everything matching forget that soldiers sitting around cleaning their weapons aren't too worried about some future collector.  These rifles are meant to be shot. 

Get some good 30.06 from the CMP along with a few clip (and YES - they are clips) and send some FMJ down range! 

Enjoy!  :up:

• Like 1

Serial number is as said. The Garand community wants the barrel date within a year or so of the receiver. (Pull back op rod and look on barrel.)

The rest of the parts have draw numbers. Those all can be replaced with year correct ones if they have been changed out. Barrel and receiver dates are what we look for when buying one. 

As said before the bayonet has been cut. The "blood groove" not ending gives it away.  The groove is for manufacturing purposes not blood. The scabbard is a factory 10 inch. An earlier cut down scabbard plastic would come straight out of the metal and not have the little interruption on either sides. 

Garands are just plain cool, keep it forever.

• Like 1