HB 0995/SB 1171 Parks

The House Bill (HB0995 with the Sargent Amendment which put the school USE into play) currently IS the NRA bill.  It was given to the Speaker the last day bills could be put forth, and the speaker gave it to Harrison, (last year's Parks Bill Killer) and here we sit.  Harrison and Sargent are in the same office and I think, share the same dislike of guns.

Till we get the NRA to understand that having a part time rep give a half a**ed bill to Leadership, (especially when that consist of Beth Harwell) we are not going to move the ball.

Guest realmarauder

i am just beside myself, we finally had this in the bag and the clowns dropped the ball. it's time to show them they can be replaced. perhaps if we replace a few of them with democrats they will realize they actually have to do what we tell them.

i am just beside myself, we finally had this in the bag and the clowns dropped the ball. it's time to show them they can be replaced. perhaps if we replace a few of them with democrats they will realize they actually have to do what we tell them.

I nominate Jim Coley and Jon Lundberg for removal over screwing gun owners in 2015.

I am down for a grass roots effort to send these clowns a message that their constituents are not happy with their performance.  I don't care if their replacements are Dems, just that they support the 2nd Amendment and they do what they say they will do, whether I agree with it or not.  I feel if the majority of voters vote for someone based on what they campaign on then they darn well better do their best to do what they say or at least give it a good effort to do so.

NRA should know how this game works in TN by now after not passing this bill the past several years.  The NRA needs to put pressure on these committee members that have stalled this stuff year after year.  I guarantee you a good chunk of these committee members do not want a bad NRA rating.  We also need an effective lobbyist that can communicate ideas to the capitol and be able to back them up with hard evidence from other states, such as local park carry is legal in about every surrounding state with a license.

This year not much has been passed.  The parking lot bill that became law is a joke (doesn't help people in at will jobs) and the NFA bill is just a token gesture that did not change much.  We got absolutely nothing as far as improvement in the handgun carry permit restrictions.

• Like 1

What is it with you all and the NRA..? :rofl:

The NRA doesn't give two diddly shits about our gun laws, or lack thereof them...

They want one thing...YOUR MONEY...Meanwhile, they sit back and do nothing while many states have their firearms rights chipped away, little by little...

Keep sending in that check to them though, you dont want to miss out on that new nra hat and arm patch...

• Like 4

What is it with you all and the NRA..? :rofl:

The NRA doesn't give two diddly ####s about our gun laws, or lack thereof them...

They want one thing...YOUR MONEY...Meanwhile, they sit back and do nothing while many states have their firearms rights chipped away, little by little...

Keep sending in that check to them though, you dont want to miss out on that new nra hat and arm patch...

Maybe, but none of us really know where we'd be without them. Your POV is just conjecture. And DMS. Edited by Randall53

Maybe, but none of us really know where we'd be without them. ...

Consider: 75-100 million gun owners in the US, but only about 5 million belong to NRA

Imagine the intimidation against voting for anti-gun legislation if even half of all the owners belonged.

Of course NRA isn't perfect. Of course they have to spend a lot of money on stuff that doesn't directly benefit legislation. Of course they can't get into every fight and don't have the staff for perfect expertise to finesse the insiders in every state legislature.

Then again, maybe it could do all that and more with 10 times the members or better,  eh?

- OS

• Like 3

Consider: 75-100 million gun owners in the US, but only about 5 million belong to NRA

Imagine the intimidation against voting for anti-gun legislation if even half of all the owners belonged.

Of course NRA isn't perfect. Of course they have to spend a lot of money on stuff that doesn't directly benefit legislation. Of course they can't get into every fight and don't have the staff for perfect expertise to finesse the insiders in every state legislature.

Then again, maybe it could do all that and more with 10 times the members or better,  eh?

- OS

Amen. People are quick to condem but slow to add to the cause. I am a life member and damn proud of it. I also help whatever I can when I can.
  • Like 2

HB0995 is now on the Senate Message calendar for Monday's session (4pm CDT).  Bet it heads to committee after that...

This what I heard last night.  The Sargent amendment needs to be stripped or the bill killed.  I think it is dead for the year.

Edited by Worriedman

The NRA overall has done a lot of good.  I think we would have a lot harsher gun laws at the federal level without the lobbying the NRA does.

I truely believe that also, without the NRA the whole country would have New Jersey style, federal gun control laws. We may have some complaints about the NRA, believe they are not fighting enough sometimes but ultimatly they have protected what we do have nationally. The states who have strict Un-Constitutional gun control laws like New Jersey are that way because the majority of their citizens vote for leaders who don't respect the Constitution, it's ultimatly the peoples fault in those states. We haven't gotten all we want in Tennessee but we DAMN sure have alot more than some other states. That's not a reason to stop pressuring our own bozo leaders but at least we have pressured many of them to pander to us over the years.

I'm confused about all the politics on this park bill, I was holding comment until something was final with all this back and forth non-sense, certain reps being pressured by who ever to kill the bill and all that.

• Like 1

Got an Email from moveon.org and they're wanting to stop the guns in parks bill... (just subscribe to see what the libs are crying about and fighting for).

If you can believe it, Tennessee lawmakers had planned to pass a bill into law by this weekend to allow people to carry loaded, concealed guns in our parks as a "welcoming gift from Tennessee lawmakers" to the National Rifle Association's annual convention in Nashville this weekend.1 Luckily, Republican "bickering" over the details of the bill has held it up, and Gov. Haslam hasn't yet signed it. Now is our chance to stop this reckless gesture and keep our parks safe for all Tennesseans. Click here to sign the petition.

Dear Tennessee MoveOn member,

I'm Hazel Morrell, a MoveOn member in Bluff City, Tennessee, and I started a petition to Gov. Bill Haslam, which says:

Veto the bill allowing loaded guns in our public parks. We want to feel safe in our parks and public places.

Sign Hazel's petition

We want the public to use our parks and public places without fear. I do not feel safer knowing the person nearby is carrying a loaded gun.

Click here to add your name to this petition, and then pass it along to your friends.

Thanks!

–Hazel

Source:

1. "Tenn. lawmakers can't agree on guns-in-parks bill drafted as NRA gift," ABC 6 News, April 9, 2015
http://wate.com/2015/04/09/tenn-lawmakers-cant-agree-on-guns-in-parks-bill-drafted-as-nra-gift/.

This petition was created on MoveOn's online petition site, where anyone can start their own online petitions. Hazel W Morrell didn't pay us to send this email—we never rent or sell the MoveOn.org list.

Edited by JohnC

You might want to mention that in most states it is legal to carry in a park for people with licenses.  Tennessee is one of the few in this part of the country where it is illegal in some parks.  Crazy that you have to take a class to get a permit here, but can go to some of the neighboring states and basically buy a permit and can carry in more places legally than TN.  The House rejecting the Senate amendment on carry at the statehouse in addition to parks in proof enough to me that you don't have a very gun friendly legislature here.  Remember, this was not a vote on allowing anyone to carry in parks and the statehouse, this was a vote on the few people in this state who have paid for their permit to carry.

• Like 1
It's a shame that state and national level Conservative majorities are being led around by their noses and/or outsmarted daily by the Liberal minority. Yarbro outsmarted the entire Tennessee Super Majority Conservative party single handedly with one amendment. It's too bad we don't have a Conservative in Nashville as smart as Yarbro is.

I'm still not convinced that it wasn't a grandstanding stunt he meant for killing the bill, only to be stunned when it was accepted, and now coming around to it possibly being the nail in the coffin after all. He's going to come off looking brilliant, but I think he's just lucky.

Giving the bill to Harrison instead of letting Goins run his own was the death lick.  From the time the "caucus" forced the change it was on life support, we will see what happens in conference, but I suspect that Haslam will have his way again, and will continue to until he is term limited out.

He made sure his legacy will endure with the installation of his minion in the TN Republican Party Chair position (Haynes).

It's a shame that state and national level Conservative majorities are being led around by their noses and/or outsmarted daily by the Liberal minority. Yarbro outsmarted the entire Tennessee Super Majority Conservative party single handedly with one amendment. It's too bad we don't have a Conservative in Nashville as smart as Yarbro is.

I would beg to point out that, in TN, "Super Majority" and "conservative" do not belong in the same sentence.  Hell, not even in the same paragraph...

• Like 1
Guest realmarauder

will they vote for consent on this today? we should flood their offices with calls telling them to consent with the house so that this goes to the guv. i don't care one way or the other about the amendment other than it's a poison pill that needed to be defeated in the amendment process but the clowns voted to allow it. we're running out of time. i had high hopes that this was finally the year, those hopes are all gone now.

Yeah they need to vote to concur with the House version if they want it to go through before the session ends.  The bad part is that includes that whole toy gun problem that the House added to the park bill.

I think these guys wait until the end on purpose in order to stall and then if it fails say it wasn't their fault.

We all realize that the end of the session is a totally self-imposed, arbitrary deadline - right?  The GA decides for themselves how long they will "work", and how big a hurry they will be in to get home for another 8 months or so...and couches that behind the "but we are saving taxpayers money" facade...

• Like 1