HB 0995/SB 1171 Parks

Just an aside, I just noticed the little English lesson correction in the bill also, surprised I never caught it the many times I read existing statute.

Previously from 39-17-1311

"A person possessing unloaded hunting weapons while transversing the grounds..."

Amended to:

SECTION 5. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1311, is amended by deleting
from subdivision ( b )(1)(J)(ii) the word “transversing” and substituting instead the word
traversing”.

----------

i.e., a person could only "transverse" something if his body lies across it.

/ end pedantry :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 3

TNReport Twitter feed just reported that Haslam signed the bill.  The Tennessean has it on their website as well as breaking news.

Woo hoo!  Guns in parks is signed!  Now to go have fun at The Tennessean blog flaming left wing lunatics, haha, LOL.

• Like 1

Just an aside, I just noticed the little English lesson correction in the bill also, surprised I never caught it the many times I read existing statute.

Previously from 39-17-1311

"A person possessing unloaded hunting weapons while transversing the grounds..."

Amended to:

SECTION 5. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1311, is amended by deleting
from subdivision ( b )(1)(J)(ii) the word “transversing” and substituting instead the word
traversing”.

----------

i.e., a person could only "transverse" something if his body lies across it.

/ end pedantry :)

- OS

People's spelling has gotten so bad the freaking legislature has pass a law to fix ignorant mistakes.

Another sign of the sad days ahead.

Wasn't really the spelling, just flat out the wrong word.

images.jpg

- OS

No doubt.  Probably some dolt allowed his or her computer to spell the word and it just "looked right".  Vocabulary is another big problem with most during contributing to our downfall.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

Read 3 posts down...
http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/55252-clarksville-tn-total-list/page-3

If these clarksville parks are indeed leased federal property what will that mean? Still good to carry or no?

Well, the property that 1311 affects is:

"... any public park, playground, civic center or other building facility, area or property owned, used or operated by any municipal, county or state government, or instrumentality thereof, for recreational purposes."

I suppose it will be determined by contract/lease law to some extent? Meaning, just what rights and "rules" do the feds give up along with the lease of the land? Does it become totally under Clarksville's control as de facto city property during the lease?

We ain't seen nuthin' yet about some of the hissy fits this change will foment. Again I mention coliseums, arenas, zoos, discovery/adventure center type facilities, all manner of stuff that is either in a park or is clearly "recreational" in purpose, etc.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Does anyone read the law and see it to say that the only school related events which firearms are banned at are those that are sport related?

What if a school affiliated theatre troupe was giving a performance in Centennial park?  Would firearms be banned there?

It's not so much "what" but "where". Seems clearly confined to athletic field:

"...athletic event or other school-related activity on an athletic field, permanent or temporary, including but not limited to, a football or soccer field, tennis court, basketball court, track, running trail, Frisbee field, or similar multi-use field"

Identical phrase now in both 1311 and 1307.

- OS

I wonder if there is enough wiggle room to let a judge set this aside as "Unconstitutionally vague"?

One would think they learned their lesson with the first "guns in bars" bill that was overturned until it was rewritten and passed into law a second time. I truly hope they aren't THAT stupid.

Precise legislative question:

Is law really enacted immediately when signed by Gov, or does it have to be codified in-house there or whatever,  showing the "Became Public Chapter xx" on bill progress?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

So.....who's going out OC'ing this afternoon in a formerly posted park?   :hiding:

No joke.  I'm considering a nice shoulder or tankers holster for bike riding along the Murfreesboro Greenway.  Would make it a lot more accessible than putting it into my CamelBaK for my ride.