HB 0995/SB 1171 Parks

Haslam won't be there. "Schedule conflicts" are keeping him away in Knoxville and Chattanooga promoting his free tution program.

I don't see where his office claimed any "conflict".

NRA's official statement was that they were "unable to accommodate a speaking role for Haslam". Not surprising since he has a C rating. If he were running for prez in '16 they might have accommodated him if he wanted to try and atone.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I think it will be handled initially as part of a Senate message calendar.  So far, it does not appear on the floor message calendar for tomorrow's Senate session, and Thursday's floor agenda has not yet been posted...but things can change very quickly...

Not a whole lot has been accomplished with this R super majority and the NRA in the last several years.  Look at what has happened in Kansas.  Those guys have gone from extremely good licensing reforms (from my understanding they can carry anywhere without criminal penalties when carrying on a license) now to Constitutional carry.  We have the same type of licensing system as Kansas but our license is not near as good as theirs as far as where we can carry.

This little clause right here is what we need in all the off limits spots we have now in TN that Kansas has:

(e) (1) It shall be a violation of this section to carry a concealed handgun in violation of any restriction or prohibition allowed by subsection (a) or (b) if the building is posted in accordance with rules and regulations adopted by the attorney general pursuant to subsection (h). Any person who violates this section shall not be subject to a criminal penalty but may be subject to denial to such premises or removal from such premises.

That means if you are carrying at George Washing Elementary, you can be asked to leave if found to be carrying.  Or say the posted public buildings in Nashville.  Again just asked to leave.

I don't see where his office claimed any "conflict".

NRA's official statement was that they were "unable to accommodate a speaking role for Haslam". Not surprising since he has a C rating. If he were running for prez in '16 they might have accommodated him if he wanted to try and atone.

- OS

Haslam himself said it last night in a press interview following one of his presentations on the free tuition program. They asked him about the guns in parks bills and how likely a veto would be (of course he dodged the question), then asked about the NRA convention and if he would be speaking there.

Edited by monkeylizard

Haslam himself said it last night in a press interview following one of his presentations on the free tuition program. They asked him about the guns in parks bills and how likely a veto would be (of course he dodged the question), then asked about the NRA convention and if he would be speaking there.

Well, if said it was a "conflict" he's obviously lying through his teeth. NRA conventions are set up long ahead of time, and I'm sure all the speaking invites went out before these particular whistle stops.

Plain fact is, NRA saying "couldn't accommodate" = "didn't invite", and you know it.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Haslam won't be there. "Schedule conflicts" are keeping him away in Knoxville and Chattanooga promoting his free lubrication program.

There, I fixed it for you.

Kinda shocked Haslam signed the "anti-business bill" But why am I surprised? The man has no principles and certainly no understanding of our Constitution.

That's not the parks bill. I didn't even know we had a "can't get fired for it in the parking lot" bill on the calendar. That's a great bonus! It's like digging in the bottom of a bowl full of Hershey's miniatures and finding the last Mr. Goodbar hidden below a bunch of Special Darks. :)

That's not the parks bill. I didn't even know we had a "can't get fired for it in the parking lot" bill on the calendar. That's a great bonus! It's like digging in the bottom of a bowl full of Hershey's miniatures and finding the last Mr. Goodbar hidden below a bunch of Special Darks. :)

Methinks it's more realistic to think of it as a "you're free to spend money to gamble for a settlement or your job back" clause. And of course there's no criminal penalty for the employer.

- OS

• Like 2

What is the status on the carry in Parks bill, When does it go to Bloomberger"s desk?

It's back to the Senate for now. They have to decide if they want to pass it w/o the Yarbro* amendment and send it on to the Guv, or if they'll kick it to a conference committee where the Senate and House will have to work out a compromise acceptable to both houses. If they can work it out, then it goes to the Guv. If not, it dies in the conference committee.

*maybe he is smarter than I thought.

Edited by monkeylizard

Probably killed by a democrat that added the amendment. Our republicans either can't outsmart a liberal, or they're just all in bed together.

If it was Yarbro who added the amendment, it likely was intended to be a "poison pill"  He is a Democrat.  Not that the Repbulicans have done us many favors lately.

Methinks it's more realistic to think of it as a "you're free to spend money to gamble for a settlement or your job back" clause. And of course there's no criminal penalty for the employer.

- OS

Methinks it's still smart for employees to practice the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. The employer doesn't know, they keep their job and keep their money.  :)

But you know there's always some dufuss who will brag about his new Glock or AR and has to show it to his friend during lunch.

The amendment was by Yarbro.  It in itself is not bad.  I think we should be able to carry on the Capital grounds but it could be, as I mentioned before, a poison pill.  Haslam would use it as an excuse to veto the bill.

Edited by Sky King

If it was Yarbro who added the amendment, it likely was intended to be a "poison pill"  He is a Democrat.  Not that the Repbulicans have done us many favors lately.

It was Yarbo, he is a Dem, but the amendment passed 28-0, so if there is any "blame" it's obviously majority Republican.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

The House has already refused to pass the bill with the Yarbro amendment on it so now it is either up to the Senate to remove the amendment or have a Conferance Committee established to resolve the differance.  I am not going to speculate about what will happen.  The General Assembly is rushing to wrap up the session.  Anything that delays the progress of the bill is not good and likely what Haslam would like to see.  Like many of the gun bills during his administration, he has tried to see that the bills never make it to his desk so he can "keep his hands clean". 

The House should have passed the amended bill with the capitol carry.  That is their own fault for not passing it.  The Democrat that added the capital carry amendment was true that a lot of the politicians are hypocrites who do not want people with permits carrying around them but want the NRA vote.

I also would not be surprised if some of those politicians already carry in the statehouse and just walk around any sort of metal detectors.

Edited by 300winmag

Yes, but I'm pretty sure he thought that it would be a poison pill that the Senate couldn't swallow. They called his bluff and passed it anyway. I wonder if maybe he thought that might happen, but also thought the House would pass it too and that it would increase the chance of a veto from the Guv. I doubt he foresaw what we ended up with.

Am I correct in thinking that they don't need to actually pass a law to allow carry at the state house? All they'd need to do is take down the no-carry signage, right?

Edited by monkeylizard

Yes, but I'm pretty sure he thought that it would be a poison pill that the Senate couldn't swallow. They called his bluff and passed it anyway. I wonder if maybe he thought that might happen, but also thought the House would pass it too and that it would increase the chance of a veto from the Guv. I doubt he foresaw what we ended up with.

Veto power ain't that big a deal here, unless there were a close vote on the bill, as simple majority overrides.  

Am I correct in thinking that they don't need to actually pass a law to allow carry at the state house? All they'd need to do is take down the no-carry signage, right?

Yep. No diff than any other private biz or city/county buildings (that don't fall under parks/rec).

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Norris (Sen Majority leader and Establishment clone) has been quoted more than once of late saying that the Senate will NOT concur with the House version.  That will send it to conference committee, and whatever comes out of there will be the only version allowed for consideration - no amendments allowed. Do you really want three Ramsey-picked Senators (of which the bill sponsor, Stevens - not exactly a friend to recent 2A legislation - will be one) and three Harwell-appointed Reps (including the House sponsor, Harrison, who likewise is not exactly in the Beavers/Goins class for 2A support) making the final decision on the bill? 

And with regards to a veto - the delay in getting anything approved now is playing right into Haslam's hands.  If Harwell and Ramsey fail in their role to preclude this legislation from ever getting to this desk in the first place, whatever does land there will almost assuredly not require action by the Gov until well after the GA has adjourned for the summer.  In that instance, he gets a free veto, in that any attempt to override the veto would first require both Harwell and Ramsey to order the GA to return in special session - and if you believe that either one of them would actually do that, I have some beachfront property here in the fingertip I'd love to sell you...

BTW - nothing RE Senate consideration of the bill has yet been scheduled for tomorrow's floor session, so the earliest it could conceivably come up would be in either Monday's or Wednesday's floor session.  That would be the point at which the Senate would not concur with the House, and actions to send to conf committee would BEGIN.  You can do the math from there to see when a version might possibly come out of such a committee, then go to each Chamber floor for a vote, and if passed, then be signed by both Speakers, then be engrossed for transmission to the Gov, then give him up to 10 days to act...are we in May yet, with the GA being gone for over a week at least???

The NRA needs to inform these guys that our handgun carry permit exempts us from the federal Gun free school zones act both next to school property and ON school property.  The NRA then can inform the politicians that there are several states where it is legal for people with permits to carry inside schools in fact because of the exemption provided permit holders in those states.  There seems to be a big hang up with people carrying in parks next to schools and the NRA is not clearing up that problem.  They should have had the votes coordinated quite a while ago in order to get this bill passed before the NRA convention.  Obviously, that is not happening.