M855/SS109 5.56 Ban!!! AKA Green Tip

Part of me wonders if these actions are actually calculated attempts to sway elections, but not in the way the author describes (he believes this will energize conservatives to vote against democrats - but the people he refers to aren't voting for democrats anyway).

For instance, outgoing Attorney General Eric Holder and the Administration propose to ban the M855 ammo knowing that ammunition meets none of the criteria as outlined in the ATFE rules (see http://gunssavelives.net/blog/gun-laws/georgia-gun-rights-group-tears-apart-atfs-proposed-m855-ban-with-their-comments/ for a section by section breakdown).

They know that any time there is a whisper of a ban on any type of ammunition, type of firearm, etc. shooters, 2nd amendment supporters and patriots will rush to buy up as much of the item in question as possible in the event it is someday unavailable. This results in manufactures increasing their production of said item and retailers increasing their prices. 

At the end of the day, whether a ban is implemented or not, we have spent a considerable amount of money we wouldn't have otherwise spent - and that money isn't being spent on political action committees, the NRA or GOA.

Essentially, the left decides they want to slow campaign donations to their opposition - so they mention, propose or try to introduce legislation involving gun/ammo bans or restrictions.

Just a thought.

Please forgive me for asking but what particular traits designate M855 from other 5.56 ammo?  I understand that it is a 62 grain lead core jacketed bullet?

Solid steel insert in nose, ahead of rest of lead core:

39D433A8C5D24242A9F4AE0BF0484F4D.jpg

I actually did Google it before asking and didn't find a definitive answer in my first 10 minutes of searching so I thought that I'd bring my question here.  After all if no one asks questions we don't have anything to talk about anyway.  I honestly don't use this round but I still care about this topic, I don't want to see any round being banned.  Furthermore from my research I found that it is actually not classified as an armor piercing round though everyone who thinks that it should be banned believes that it is.  Your right though Garufa, call it anything but a "penetrator" and we wouldn't be talking about it?

• Like 1
Just saw a post on FB that the ban has already been in place since January and the feedback from John Q was already designated for the round file.

http://embed.videodigm.com/11ff32f8880df6a4cf08f1a2c10b038a

http://bearingarms.com/breaking-obama-administration-already-banned-m855-ammo-illegally/?utm_source=bafbp&utm_medium=fbpage&utm_campaign=baupdate

Assuming the above is actually true anyway.

Just saw a post on FB that the ban has already been in place since January and the feedback from John Q was already designated for the round file.

http://embed.videodigm.com/11ff32f8880df6a4cf08f1a2c10b038a

http://bearingarms.com/breaking-obama-administration-already-banned-m855-ammo-illegally/?utm_source=bafbp&utm_medium=fbpage&utm_campaign=baupdate

Assuming the above is actually true anyway.

Now apparently ATF claims that was a "publishing error":

http://controversialtimes.com/news/breaking-atf-issues-statement-saying-paperwork-showing-m855-banned-was-publishing-error/

- OS

• Like 1
So if I read correctly, this was all an error and there is no proposed ban on M855.

I believe that it was a publishing error, yeah right... How about the public outcry was great enough you had to back down and this was the best cover up lie you could come up with.

So does this mean all the ammo sellers will immediately drop their prices back down to normal levels? I guess not since there will be a bunch of folks that don't read the news and still line up to pay .60+ cents per round... Edited by Trekbike

So if I read correctly, this was all an error and there is no proposed ban on M855.

No. Proposed ban with comment period is their intention. They claim changing the manual before that happens was the "error".

- OS

No. Proposed ban with comment period is their intention. They claim changing the manual before that happens was the "error".

- OS

But it is another step to confuse, and scare, the masses like everything else the have been doing lately. It was not a mistake, it is proof they were going to ban it no matter what kind of responses they got during the comment period. Before it is all over is and done with the administration will support the ATF's decision to ban it because it is yet another step in limiting firearms.

And all we will hear from now on is that it is banned even if it isn't. Already had people on another board tell me it is illegal to own and I will go to jail for possessing it.
  • Like 2

But it is another step to confuse, and scare, the masses like everything else the have been doing lately. It was not a mistake, it is proof they were going to ban it no matter what kind of responses they got during the comment period....

But of course. Also, others have noted that the sporting exception for M2AP was not mentioned in the new manual.

- OS

Well crap. I got excited over nothing. Can we have our country back already?

We had the chance to stop this from happening 2 years ago, but people are so short-sighted that all they knew is they didn't like Romney.  So they didn't go vote, and here we are.  Those same people are now running around with their heads about to pop off trying to figure out what's going on.

Hopefully everyone has learned their lessons and they'll be able to trouble themselves to go out and vote in 2016.

• Like 2

We had the chance to stop this from happening 2 years ago, but people are so short-sighted that all they knew is they didn't like Romney.  So they didn't go vote, and here we are.  Those same people are now running around with their heads about to pop off trying to figure out what's going on.

Hopefully everyone has learned their lessons and they'll be able to trouble themselves to go out and vote in 2016.

Yep, hasn't been an issue in TN yet, but getting there. Hussein got almost 40% of the vote here even in 2012.

- OS

We had the chance to stop this from happening 2 years ago, but people are so short-sighted that all they knew is they didn't like Romney. So they didn't go vote, and here we are. Those same people are now running around with their heads about to pop off trying to figure out what's going on.

I know you didn't direct that necessarily at me but you won't find me in that camp.

I can't remember any elections I've sat out of since I was eligible in the early 80's.

I know you didn't direct that necessarily at me but you won't find me in that camp.

I can't remember any elections I've sat out of since I was eligible in the early 80's.

Oh no it wasn't meant to be directed at you at all, sorry if you took it that way.  I will say there was no shortage of people here that refused to go vote though, and I have no trouble voicing my opinion on how stupid that was.  Politics are a zero-sum game, people need to consider that before sidelining themselves during an election.