Need advice on storing Rabbit meat

I've shot and ate many of them over the years but now I've got a question.  My wife and our Grandson, who is a 16 yo expert on everything, were in the truck and hit a rabbit last night (caught it's head with a tire).  He wanted to bring it home and clean it, which he did very well, but then did something I've not seen before.  He left the meat in a bowl, partially submerged in water, sprinkled about 2 tablespoons of salt on it, and left it on the kitchen counter till this evening (about 20 hours) at which time my wife decided it was going in the refrigerator.  He says it's still OK to eat because it had salt on it but the wife and I are not sure of that.  I've only cleaned and then immediately cooked or frozen them and am not sure.  What do you think?  Is the meat still OK after sitting at room temp for that long with just salt water partially covering it?

Glenn

Sorry, haven't been able to get on  here in a few days but had read all the responses.  We cooked and ate it on the 15th and no one got sick so all is good and I've learned a new way to preserve meat.  Thanks to all who gave me some great advice.

Glenn

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

TRADING POST NOTICE

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions.

TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is not a lobbying organization and has no affiliation with any lobbying organizations.  Beware of scammers using the Tennessee Gun Owners name, purporting to be Pro-2A lobbying organizations!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.