solar questions.

my father just finished reading my copy of "one second after". he emailed me this morning to ask about solar generators. this is the specific product:

http://www.earthtechproducts.com/goal0-emergency-solar-essential-kit.html

i know next to NOTHING about solar power. anyone with a good understanding of solar want to chime in on this or other product packages?

also, is there a reputable resource for complete novices that you would recommend for my father and i to learn the basics and understand what he needs/wants? this is a good opportunity for he and i to learn at the same time.

any information is greatly appreciated.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm generally fond of the GoalZero products. I like their small portable panels when I'm camping. Their stuff is easy to use and seems well built. That said, I suspect you could build a larger system for that price (or a comparable system for less money) by doing it yourself. If he's looking for an easy turnkey solution and doesn't mind the cost, it's certainly an option. Keep in mind that the output ratings will vary depending on how much sunlight he can get on the panels. When power goes out from ice, that's not usually hapenning on sunny days. The "generator" is a packaged battery/inverter/solar controller. Like most batteries, he would have to keep it maintained by either leaving it plugged in for trickle charging or by storing it in a cool dry place and plugging it in every so often (manufacturer should have a recommended schedule).

If he's worried about EMP, solar may not be there the way he thinks it will unless he stores the components in a Faraday cage. Nobody really knows what will and won't survive an EMP. Even if the solar panels themselves survive, the controller and inverter may not.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • 2 weeks later...

my father just finished reading my copy of "one second after". he emailed me this morning to ask about solar generators. this is the specific product:

http://www.earthtechproducts.com/goal0-emergency-solar-essential-kit.html

i know next to NOTHING about solar power. anyone with a good understanding of solar want to chime in on this or other product packages?

also, is there a reputable resource for complete novices that you would recommend for my father and i to learn the basics and understand what he needs/wants? this is a good opportunity for he and i to learn at the same time.

any information is greatly appreciated.

Steven Harris has written a large number of books and video on power.  He has a really neat project installing battery and an inverter in the back of his trucks and making a portal power station you can take anywhere.  PS a solar generators is really a battery backup system with a solar charger added to recharge the battery.

http://www.stevenharris.net/

Thanks

Robert

Edited by rmiddle

Solar is great for LED lighting but not too good at conversion to AC by power hungry inverters.

I agree but he was asking about a "solar generator"  Those are basically a solar panel, solar charger, battery's, and an inverter most also include a traditional battery charger.  I was addressing the specif question asked.  Most of these come in pretty packages with very limited battery power and are way over priced.  You are correct it is better to power the lights using LED directly off the bettery and only using the inverter when you need something that requires an inverter.

Thanks

Robert

I don't know about ya'll but I would miss my use of cordless power tools the most. That is what I want a solar setup for. Dolomite, as for A/C I saw a prepper on TV that had 2 4" pvc pipes in the ground about 6 foot or so, he lived on a hill and got cool air somewhat like a cave is always 55 or so year round. May be something to look into.

Steven Harris has written a large number of books and video on power. He has a really neat project installing battery and an inverter in the back of his trucks and making a portal power station you can take anywhere. PS a solar generators is really a battery backup system with a solar charger added to recharge the battery.

http://www.stevenharris.net/

Thanks
Robert

I put that into my Volvo and it charges batteries famously! 30A at a time. I would recommend a marine dc on off switch upstream of the charge controller if you are going to leave a battery charging with the car not running. That way you control when the charging happens.

M