2015 Spring Turkey Hunting thread - Post your season updates here!

Ended up seeing a total of 12 turkeys.  Was able to interact with some of the hens and the jakes.  All of them were young so we didn't shoot.  Several clucks and kee kee runs.  Was awesome to hear!  Going to hunt again this afternoon to see what we can come up w/.  

• Like 1

My brother and I had a textbook hunt on opening day. We roosted a hot tom the night before and snuck in well before dawn and set up close.

The tom was gobbling on the roost and it only took a handful of calls to talk him down and pick a fight.

He came up behind us and at one point passed within six feet. He was so focused on kicking the decoys butt he never noticed we were there.

My brother was the trigger man and that's him in the pic below. The entire hunt, from leaving the cabin to bird on the ground was under an hour.

jas_zpstatfo2lh.jpg

• Like 3

Congratulations to everybody that's got turkeys. And good luck to the ones still trying. I've got 2 so far. Sorry, can't post pics. Something about resizing pics on this new computer with Windows 8. Anyway.

No.1 Sat. 4th - 23lbs. 11.5" beard 1  1/8" spurs

No.2 Sat. 11th- 21lbs. 10" beard   7/8" spurs.

• Like 1

Took a guy this morning that had never been turkey hunting before. He didn't have a gun or anything, so I let him use my gun and I planned to just call. Well, having shot a couple birds already this year, I had depleted my spare shotgun shells I had in my vest. I forgot to grab another box this morning, so we went into the woods with 1 gun and two shells.

I managed to call the boss away from the flock about 7:30 and my buddy closed the deal at 40 yards. He whispered, "there are two more gobblers coming." So he handed me the gun and I busted the second bird at about 45 yards. Another great morning in the turkey woods. My buddy is fired up about hunting now. :)

8c422294efd77e0c032512b63da5407a.jpg

Edited by whiskey
  • Like 5

I almost got no.3 this morning about 8:00am. He came in to one of my wingbones. He was at about 50 yards and I couldn't see him. A smart guy would've not moved his head to look for him................Apparently, I'm not a smart guy.

Edited by roverboy
  • Like 2
image_zps7vxnnxav.jpg

My hunt this morning read like a IDPA stage discription.

Start standing in blind hands relaxed at side with loaded shotgun on the ground. At the buzzer flip the blind to the front, pick up shotgun and engage running turkey.

It was raining so I set up my blind and some decoys in the edge of a field. I had seen five hens and one small tom at about 10:00 and then nothing else. At 12:30 I decided it was time to call it a day, I did one final scan and got ready to get out. My blind was soaked and I had backed it up against some briars so I decided to just flip it forward instead of unzipping it and wiggling out the back. I laid my shotgun down and flipped, I looked to my right and there stood a tom at about 30 yards. He turned and started to run away, I scooped up my 835 and rolled him up at 40 yards.

It was a very cool experience.

You can see my blind in this pic (top left) and our game can on the gate. lol
image_zpsks2zzqdv.jpg
  • Like 4

[URL=http://s532.photobucket.com/user/jtv14/media/IMG_4625_zpsokqmsyp1.jpg.html]IMG_4625_zpsokqmsyp1.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s532.photobucket.com/user/jtv14/media/IMG_4624_zpsk0bo0pea.jpg.html]IMG_4624_zpsk0bo0pea.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s532.photobucket.com/user/jtv14/media/IMG_4626_zpssk1golfz.jpg.html]IMG_4626_zpssk1golfz.jpg[/URL]

I've been lazy!  I killed this guy last Friday.  I was literally sawing off branches when he stepped out into my field about 75 yards away!  He left but came back and I managed to draw his attention to my decoys.  He couldn't care less about the Hen, but that Jake decoy....He wanted to DESTROY.  It was awesome.  Took a while to be able to get my gun up without spooking him, but managed to give him a dirt nap a few minutes later.  I had to let him separate from my decoy first because i didn't want to ruin my decoy obviously, haha.  First one down this year!  hopefully a couple more to go!  Keep up the good work everyone! 

• Like 3

This bird came in to an Avian-x hen decoy that my brother bought, I really like it a lot.

My brother shot this bird this morning, again since it was raining we set up in the blind and just called some and waited. Since I killed a tom yesterday he had first shot today. He shot, the bird dropped and then got back up and took off. It was on after that, I'm not sure who fired the fatal pellet, but my brother is getting the credit.

I estimate this bird cost us about $10.50.

image_zpssuq2gb1a.jpg

Edited by BrasilNuts
  • Like 3

I've got the hen ones too. They look great but are hard to tote around in a hurry.

My buddy has these and you are right, they are big to tote. I really want a great looking pack able jake.

I have killed most of my birds without decoys the last 2 years. I don't dislike them, I am just too lazy to carry them.

I like to use decoys if I have the time to put'em out. A lot of times I'm in the woods and don't put them out or don't have the time to. I don't think they are really all that necessary  in the woods. About all the hunting shows that I see, they use them in fields.

Is it time to put away the decoys or are they still effective at this point in the season?  Seems like they really attracted a lot of attention the first few weeks of the season but have since leveled off and somewhat ignored.  Maybe it's just the same flock I keep seeing and they have figured it out.  I hunt the outer boundries of a large field.