Lakes but no Well?

Ok we will be at our home for a year shortly. Major stuff is done fencing etc. So now I would like to put a well in. I have spoken to a few of the people near by about the lack of wells. You would think I was the village idiot for asking about it? I am sure wells must exist around here? Or am I missing something?

Any one know someone or a company that does wells or where I might start?

Thanks
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure they do.  My grandmother and her neighbor both have wells, they live in Lebanon.  Her well is aweful, water smells bad and stains everything even after going through a complex filtration system.  The neighbors well is about 200 yards away and comes out of the ground nice and clean and just goes through a water softener.  I'm not sure of why you want a well, I assume that you are already on city water.  It's nice to not have a water bill but depending on the condition of the well water you have you could easily spend more on water treatment than your water bills is.  I've lived in 3 houses in my life that were on well, two were great and the water came out of the ground and didn't require anything else and the other was a constant pain in the butt. Be prepared to spend a considerable amount of money to drill and keep in mind that you may or may not hit water and the water may or may not be good.  If you are wanting a well for SHTF purposes I would stick to city water and a few 55 gallon drums that collect rain water. 

Sure they do. My grandmother and her neighbor both have wells, they live in Lebanon. Her well is aweful, water smells bad and stains everything even after going through a complex filtration system. The neighbors well is about 200 yards away and comes out of the ground nice and clean and just goes through a water softener. I'm not sure of why you want a well, I assume that you are already on city water. It's nice to not have a water bill but depending on the condition of the well water you have you could easily spend more on water treatment than your water bills is. I've lived in 3 houses in my life that were on well, two were great and the water came out of the ground and didn't require anything else and the other was a constant pain in the butt. Be prepared to spend a considerable amount of money to drill and keep in mind that you may or may not hit water and the water may or may not be good. If you are wanting a well for SHTF purposes I would stick to city water and a few 55 gallon drums that collect rain water.

Another thouught I had was since we have an active stream possibly looking a water filtration system? Plus we are walking distance to the lake. Thoughts? Edited by wcd

I guess it depends on what you want to do.  My grandparents used to have a pump and they pumped water out of the lake to water their lawn and their garden.  I wouldn't drink anything from a stream if I didn't have to without proper filtration, you just never know what has encountered the water upstream.  Even in remote areas where the water is pure a dead animal in the water can make you sick if you drink the water. 

So...  If your goal is to save some money by watering a garden or something I'd look at pulling from the creek.  Otherwise I wouldn't bother with it.  If the goal is to be prepared in an emergency situation then I would just stock several cases of bottled water along with several gallon jugs of water as well.  I can't really think of a scenario where your city water would be unsafe to use and the well would be okay, if one is contaminated the other most likely would be as well.  Even something like the floods of 2010, a few cases of water would have gotten most folks by just fine when the tap water was unusable.  

Nothing beats the peace of mind of having a well. It goes right along with having a septic tank, propane tank, and a generator. Independence from the grid. Widespread severe power outages where the city doesn't have power, there is no city water. But you will have water if you have a well and a power source( generator, small solar panels, hand pump). I don't see a negative aside from initial cost. But then You have water. Period.

If you can have a well, you would be wise to have one installed. I wired a house for one guy and he had it hooked up to both city and a well with a valve to change it over if the city water went out.

We use a well for water.  We actually just added a second well about a month ago.  We live on top of a mountain, the old well is at 505 feet, the new one is at just over 300 feet.  Yes the up front cost is high but I like the piece of mind of having my own water source.  As mentioned by others, I have enough solar power to run the well pump if needed.  I can live a quite a while without power but with a family of 5, running out of water can put you in a bind very quickly.  

Nothing beats the peace of mind of having a well. It goes right along with having a septic tank, propane tank, and a generator. Independence from the grid. Widespread severe power outages where the city doesn't have power, there is no city water. But you will have water if you have a well and a power source( generator, small solar panels, hand pump). I don't see a negative aside from initial cost. But then You have water. Period.
If you can have a well, you would be wise to have one installed. I wired a house for one guy and he had it hooked up to both city and a well with a valve to change it over if the city water went out.

You hit it spot on. I just would like the piece of mind.

You hit it spot on. I just would like the piece of mind.

I'm on mobile and can't see it but what is your location?

When I lived in Coffee County it was fairly common to have a well especially out in the country. But now living in Rutherford County, I don't hear about it much and I assume it has to do with all the rock around here and it being extremely difficult to dig.

I'm on mobile and can't see it but what is your location?
When I lived in Coffee County it was fairly common to have a well especially out in the country. But now living in Rutherford County, I don't hear about it much and I assume it has to do with all the rock around here and it being extremely difficult to dig.

Wilson county