Now that's a knife.....March 15th

• Authorized Vendor

This is made from 1095 carbon steel 1/4" thick. It has an 8/14" blade with a total length of about 14". It's professionally heat treated to a RC 59-60. The scales are stabilized mineral stained Afzelia Xylay sanded to 1000 grit and oiled with Scandinavian tung oil. They came out pretty sweet. They are mechanically fastened with as well as epoxied.  It has be lightly acid dipped and sanded with 1000 grit paper.

It has nice jimping on the spine as well as a swedge.......unsharpened. It comes with a black kydex sheath and is drilled for a large Blade Tech TekLoc which is not included. I've been wanting to make something of this design and finally got around to it. It's a pretty cool knife.

It's available.

gallery_5_5_45639.jpg

gallery_5_5_335217.jpg

gallery_5_5_191893.jpg

gallery_5_5_37986.jpg

• Like 7

That is One Awesome Blade Design, and the Blade stock is thick enough to pry just about anything open without Ever having to worry about damaging that Blade! That is 1 Sweet Tactical knife Man, and the Lines in it just flow perfectly!
I hope you're a Member of the Knife Guild? If Your not, you should be, if that's something that would interest you? That really is a show piece, but if used would Never show it!!

I never knew this part of the site existed Until a few days ago, and I am So Glad that I have found it, I had No idea there was so many talented Knife Makers / Artisan / Steel Workers of Magic around here? But I'm glad to have finally found out!

Did you make that with a 2"x72" VS Setup or something else? I'm just curious because I have seen Bladesmiths make Masterpiece knives with nothing but Files and a hand Drill.

Great knife & work! Can you PM me a Price since it is availing?

Thank you Sir
Eric
  • Authorized Vendor

That grind is EFFIN GORGEOUS!!!!! Did you do it on a wheel? And is that a Ferric Chloride etch? Damn that is fine!!!!

No I didn't use a wheel....it's a flat (scandi) grind and yeah I used the Ferric Chloride but only for a few minutes then sanded it with 1000 grit lightly until I got the look I was aiming for.

That my friend is bad a$$.  The grind looks like a cross between a skinner grind and the grind on my Fischer Archangel which equals 100% pure awesomeness.  You are definitely getting better.

• Authorized Vendor

That my friend is bad a$$.  The grind looks like a cross between a skinner grind and the grind on my Fischer Archangel which equals 100% pure awesomeness.  You are definitely getting better.

Thanks...with every knife I make I learn something and apply it to the next one. It's been quite the experience.

Guest Broomhead

...the Blade stock is thick enough to pry just about anything open without Ever having to worry about damaging that Blade!...

NOOOOOOOO!!!!

A knife is NOT made for prying. The high carbon steel, with proper hardening and tempering, even with this thickness, is way too brittle to use as a prying tool. Unless you're prying open something plastic or wood, you will almost definitely chip the blade and/or break the tip off. There are exceptions for specially designed knives made with certain steels and a springier temper, of course. However, almost all the knife makers on Bladeforums and other sites that I've seen will include a caveat in their warranty that voids it for any knife that was used for prying of any type. If you want something to pry with then carry a small pry bar, multi-tool, or throwaway knife. Please don't take the chance of ruining a high dollar handmade knife, or even a less expensive one that the maker put his/her blood, sweat and tears into.

Grand Torino, that is an awesome blade with a beautiful grind. You did a great job and have come a long way in a rather short period. I am amazed.

Edited by Broomhead
  • Authorized Vendor

Could you make this knife with the same grind only smaller? Like 1/3 or 1/4 the knife in the OP?

I love that knife shape and grind. Truly great, nice work.

I guess I could but that recurve on that small of a blade would be tricky.

• Like 1
  • Authorized Vendor

NOOOOOOOO!!!!

A knife is NOT made for prying. The high carbon steel, with proper hardening and tempering, even with this thickness, is way too brittle to use as a prying tool. Unless you're prying open something plastic or wood, you will almost definitely chip the blade and/or break the tip off. There are exceptions for specially designed knives made with certain steels and a springier temper, of course. However, almost all the knife makers on Bladeforums and other sites that I've seen will include a caveat in their warranty that voids it for any knife that was used for prying of any type. If you want something to pry with then carry a small pry bar, multi-tool, or throwaway knife. Please don't take the chance of ruining a high dollar handmade knife, or even a less expensive one that the maker put his/her blood, sweat and tears into.

Grand Torino, that is an awesome blade with a beautiful grind. You did a great job and have come a long way in a rather short period. I am amazed.

Right on the money and that's for the kind words. :up:

Guest Broomhead

Right on the money and that's for the kind words. :up:

What can I say? As soon as I get some other projects out of the way (the sooner the better) and get at least SOME organizing done in my shop (it's complete chaos now)...I'm making another FREAKING knife. I can only strive and hope for your level of quality.

Good Job! :up: :pleased: :bow: :clap: :bowrofl: :no1: