Is it difficult to hunt with an AR pistol? (300 blackout)

I just ordered my lower to begin my slow build of a 9" 300 blackout pistol. This will eventually be suppressed and SBR'd after I get a trust, buy a suppressor and do the $200 song and dance for each of those. Until then though I want to be able to hunt whitetail with it. I have no interest in spending money on the sig brace either so I will just have the bare tube. Having never shot an AR pistol is it feasible / easy to shoot this caliber from the shoulder accurately enough for hunting? From what I have read of the ATF's current mood it's perfectly legal to do this????

Placing the bare buffer to your shoulder has the same connotation as doing it with a Sig brace from what I've read on this board. ATF has gone stupid(er) with the latest round of rulings.

I know that they said shouldering the Sig brace would change it's intended use but they didn't mention anything about just the bare tube did they?

I have found that the easiest was to hunt with a large pistol is to use a walking stick with a v notch at the top.  Really helps holding the pistol steady for a shot.  Thats what I used when I used to hunt with a TC Contender.

• Like 4

I know that they said shouldering the Sig brace would change it's intended use but they didn't mention anything about just the bare tube did they?

No they have not, we can still shoulder a bare buffer tube.

LumberJack has taken deer with his 300 Blackout pistol. I do not hunt anymore but I see no reason why it would not work.

• Like 1

No they have not, we can still shoulder a bare buffer tube.

LumberJack has taken deer with his 300 Blackout pistol. I do not hunt anymore but I see no reason why it would not work.

Good deal. This guns main function would be hunting but I see no reason to go for a 16" barrel if I'll only change it out later. I won't get many long shots around here anyways.

Also i will be awesome to have not only an SBR but a suppressed one at that.  :cool:

Mad Max et al have not responded to that exact question, so far. Since a pistol with a brace is a perfectly lawful configuration, but he claims usage determines classification, I don't see why he wouldn't have the same opinion regarding a pistol without a brace, so who knows.

At least with traditional 5.56 pistols, I'd say as many have traditionally shot them with buffer tube laid alongside cheek as 3rd point of contact as against shoulder. I have one I still shoot this way myself:

074.jpg

Suarez-ARpistol.jpg

- OS

That makes sense. Having never shot a 300 blackout is the recoil substantially more than .223?

I've never had occasion to shoot a .300blk laid alongside cheek like this, but from my limited experience shooting various loads against shoulder, I get the impression that the hottest AAC loads might be about 20% more kick tops than NATO spec 5.56, but nothing that would be so drastic as to make it impractical.

Hopefully those with more experience with the round will chime in on that comparison.

- OS

• Like 1

Yeah, that was only my parsing based on past ATF idiotic behavior.

Mad Max et al have not responded to that exact question, so far. Since a pistol with a brace is a perfectly lawful configuration, but he claims usage determines classification, I don't see why he wouldn't have the same opinion regarding a pistol without a brace, so who knows.

- OS

Having shot both in a 16in barrel, there was minimal difference felt, possibly due to flash/comp. There are several threads about taking whitetail and hogs with 300blk on the blackout forum. Not sure of the barrel lengths. Pretty sure I saw some sbr's suppressed. Edited by Shorty

Good deal. This guns main function would be hunting but I see no reason to go for a 16" barrel if I'll only change it out later. I won't get many long shots around here anyways.

Also i will be awesome to have not only an SBR but a suppressed one at that. :cool:

We can't hunt with SBR's here. Rifle caliber pistols, yes. If hunting then either build a 16" rifle or dedicated pistol. I left mine as a pistol, 10'5". For hunting I loaded 125gr Sierra PH over a stout load of Lil gun for about 2150fps. Took a small doe at 187yds 2 years ago. This year I'll use the hornady 125 grain SST over LiL Gun if I decide to use the pistol.

We can't hunt with SBR's here....

??

Only NFA restriction I see in regard to hunting is the nix on full auto:

http://www.tn.gov/twra/huntweapons.html

edit: according to this thread, they did indeed used to not be approved, but that changed during the 2009-2010 season.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/39190-nfa-sbr-for-a-deer-hunt/#entry648080

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

I have found that the easiest was to hunt with a large pistol is to use a walking stick with a v notch at the top.  Really helps holding the pistol steady for a shot.  Thats what I used when I used to hunt with a TC Contender.

This is the best way I have found.
Per my conversation with a TWRA officer, hunting with an sbr and or a suppressor is perfectly legal in TN. As far as hunting with a 300 goes, I have hunted deer and hogs with the caliber exclusively since I built the rifle over two years ago and have yet to find it lacking in any way. If I were consistently presented 200+ yard shots I would definitely reconsider but I seldom hunt anywhere that I have more than a 150 yard opportunity and 90% are 75yds or less. I'm thinking subsonic ammo is a no go even at relatively close ranges (not that it couldn't kill the deer but because it might not) but someone else might have some input as far as the potential of a really heavy bullet cruising just below the sound barrier? I have purchased a suppressor and now just have to play the waiting game. I am definitely planning to sbr My blackout and am even thinking about sending of for it about 1-1 1/2 months before my suppressor is due to be out of jail. As far as recoil goes, I don't really notice the difference. I've got an adjustable gas block and it is tuned as low as possible and still be reliable with any load I have for it so between that and the muzzle brake the recoil in neglidgeable. If you're curious you're welcome to come shoot or borrow mine anytime you want buddy, just call and let me know.
  • Like 1

??

Only NFA restriction I see in regard to hunting is the nix on full auto:

http://www.tn.gov/twra/huntweapons.html

edit: according to this thread, they did indeed used to not be approved, but that changed during the 2009-2010 season.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/39190-nfa-sbr-for-a-deer-hunt/#entry648080

- OS

Looks like your right and I should study up on the changes. I'm waiting on two form 1's as we speak. Also looks like the 4" minimum on barrel length for centerfire pistols is no longer there.

That makes sense. Having never shot a 300 blackout is the recoil substantially more than .223?

A tad more but if you spend time to adjust gas it's not really too noticeable. Without a can its loud. With a compensator like the JP comp the noise will piss off neighbors on the side but won't affect recoil it will only help w muzzle rise.
Hth
  • Like 1

How would use the sights on an AR pistol if you didn't bring the gun to eye level? And wouldn't the buffer tube come up to the cheek or shoulder area when you use the sights correctly?

You do bring it to eye level, see pics above for laying tube alongside cheek. 

Or by putting buffer tube against shoulder. Or by putting a SIG or Shockwave brace against shoulder (keep the other eye peeled for Mad Max Kingery ;))

- OS

I dont know how to copy and post a photo from another site, but I saw an item today that Guntec makes that is a cheek pad that will snap on over a foam buffer tube cover, I saw that on the midsouth website today as I was looking at a few items. I am not sure yet if it can be ordered seperatly but am going to find out, and if it can and not to expensive I might order one to try it out, just some fyi for those who might be interested. Oh and by the way it is so that the buffer tube can be held against the check while firing you pistol. Edited by Ron Padilla

I dont know how to copy and post a photo from another site, but I saw an item today that Guntec makes that is a cheek pad that will snap on over a foam buffer tube cover, I saw that on the midsouth website today as I was looking at a few items. I am not sure yet if it can be ordered seperatly but am going to find out, and if it can and not to expensive I might order one to try it out, just some fyi for those who might be interested. Oh and by the way it is so that the buffer tube can be held against the check while firing you pistol.

Folks been using various models of those for years. Mainly in reality to be a bit more comfy against the shoulder though, just as with the SIG braces, as they don't really do anything against the cheek that a simple foam cover wouldn't IMHO:

img_3444.jpg

arpistol2.jpg

CARubberizedCheekPiece-2.jpg

Or make your own, including a nice cane tip:

11327423863_2e7a7f63fb_o.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I just ordered my lower to begin my slow build of a 9" 300 blackout pistol. This will eventually be suppressed and SBR'd after I get a trust, buy a suppressor and do the $200 song and dance for each of those. Until then though I want to be able to hunt whitetail with it. I have no interest in spending money on the sig brace either so I will just have the bare tube. Having never shot an AR pistol is it feasible / easy to shoot this caliber from the shoulder accurately enough for hunting? From what I have read of the ATF's current mood it's perfectly legal to do this????

If you have any questions or just want to speak 300 Blackout feel free to get a hold of me. I would be glad to give you my number. I have about every platform that can be had in 300 Blackout and it is my "forever" caliber. I will never be without a 300 Blackout and would give up any of my 223's in order to keep a 300 Blackout. I am very, very active in the 300 Blackout community and any problem that you might have I have probably seen before.

• Like 1