Helmet Law

Ugly

Insurance companies will use any excuse to charge whatever they charge.

I think it is a good idea to wear a helmet on a motorcycle and also a good idea to wear a seat belt in a car.  I don't think it is the government's place to require grown adults to use those safety devices because the laws are nothing more than revenue generators.

Half the people driving in Memphis do not even have car insurance on their cars while on the public streets.  Many others are driving without valid DL's.  I'm not talking about someone who forgot to renew on time.  I'm talking about never having a DL or the DPS canning the DL.  That is much more of a problem than the small number of motorcycle riders not wearing helmets.

Here's my idea to improve the problem with people driving without insurance.  Make a law that anyone unlawfully driving without car insurance, current DL, DWI, etc. cannot collect any sort of damage payments from an accident, even if that driver was not at fault in the accident.  If you cant cover the responsibility of driving and obligation to others should you cause an accident (by buying insurance or liability bond), then you have no business on the road.  I bet if you cut out insurance payments to people who should have never been on the road in the first place, that will help.

Edited by 300winmag
  • Like 1

Insurance companies will use any excuse to charge whatever they charge.

I think it is a good idea to wear a helmet on a motorcycle and also a good idea to wear a seat belt in a car. I don't think it is the government's place to require grown adults to use those safety devices because the laws are nothing more than revenue generators.

Half the people driving in Memphis do not even have car insurance on their cars while on the public streets. Many others are driving without valid DL's. I'm not talking about someone who forgot to renew on time. I'm talking about never having a DL or the DPS canning the DL. That is much more of a problem than the small number of motorcycle riders not wearing helmets.

Here's my idea to improve the problem with people driving without insurance. Make a law that anyone unlawfully driving without car insurance, current DL, DWI, etc. cannot collect any sort of damage payments from an accident, even if that driver was not at fault in the accident. If you cant cover the responsibility of driving and obligation to others should you cause an accident (by buying insurance or liability bond), then you have no business on the road. I bet if you cut out insurance payments to people who should have never been on the road in the first place, that will help.

Also welfare, bet that will turn it around quickly!
I moved here from a state that doesn’t require a helmet. I just asked my wife if my motorcycle insurance went up or down when we moved here. She said “It went up a little; but not enough to matter; why?”

The insurance costs and health care costs is BS from the people that want the government to look out for them.
  • Like 5

I know it's a whole other vehicle but atvs require those under 18 to wear a helmet or face a fine that about equals the cost of a good quality helmet.

Now as an adult, I wear a helmet when i ride my atv, simply because I know what can happen if youre not wearing one. But i believe if you're responsible enough and have enough riding experience, nobody should be able to tell you that you have to wear one.

Same as a seat belt, if i don't want to wear one, then i shouldn't have to wear one. Helmets for motorcycles, the same.

So you don't mind limiting someone else's freedom for a little safety common sense?

Sounds like a gun control argument if you ask me. I'm also sure there are more shooting victims due to crime than motorcyclists cracking open their heads but yet we have this debate that helmets save people money.

The ACA is going to save us 2500 a year too!

No one should mandate you to do anything.

Be the rebel and ride naked.

My point is when I fail to employ common sense, which is my right, the consequences CAN reduce the freedom and rights of others as they pick up the pieces.

No one should mandate you to do anything.

Be the rebel and ride naked.

My point is when I fail to employ common sense, which is my right, the consequences CAN reduce the freedom and rights of others as they pick up the pieces.

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean that penalties will be placed on the majority because of the few? Such as in the seatbelt law, checkpoints because people don't wear seat belts and the such?

The reality of the helmet law is it is in place because of a false narrative. It also effects such a small minority of society that it has been a hard fought battle and takes a strong effort to make change, Tennessee isn't there yet. 31 states have overturned the mandate, there is no chaos. Ridership is up in those states which actually generates more revenue for the states, insurance companies and the marketplace. 

If the amount of bikers were the size of firearm owners, this wouldn't even be an issue, it would have been quashed long ago. 

If the amount of firearm owners were the size of current motorcyclists, I can assure you, firearms would have been outlawed long ago. 

• Like 1
I was a cop when Illinois passed the seat belt law. Most cops were against it because we weren’t going to wear them. They assured everyone that they couldn’t be used for PC for a stop, and the only time they could be written was in an accident or with a stop for another violation. That didn’t last long.

I didn’t wear a seatbelt on patrol and I never wrote a seatbelt ticket. I did use seatbelts in my personal vehicle and still today always wear one.

I feel the same way about helmets. In TN I have to carry two helmets. A full face for on the highway and a lid for in-town riding. In heavy traffic you can’t afford to have anything obstructing your view or hearing even a little bit.

I’m responsible for my safety and if I feel I don’t want a helmet on; that should be the end of it.
  • Like 3

Was coming home from an 8 hour road trip, come across a check point right near the house and when I finally got up to the row of deputies, I wound up with a young deputy and he waved me through, I asked what the checkpoint was about and he (hesitantly) said a seatbelt check. 

He was irritated that they were doing this from what I could sense and see in his eyes. Rightfully so, it was ugly situation in this great country.

Ive got a some pretty patriotic LEO's in my community and I've wondered how many of them are members here.

• Like 2

usmap3_zpst3kqadir.gif

Here is a list of the helmet laws by state. Most had mandatory laws that were later changed. I lived in Illinois and Florida both went from mandatory to what they are now. ABATE is the best group to work with and they know how to "get it done".

• Like 1

I was a cop when Illinois passed the seat belt law. Most cops were against it because we weren’t going to wear them. They assured everyone that they couldn’t be used for PC for a stop, and the only time they could be written was in an accident or with a stop for another violation. That didn’t last long.

I didn’t wear a seatbelt on patrol and I never wrote a seatbelt ticket. I did use seatbelts in my personal vehicle and still today always wear one.

I feel the same way about helmets. In TN I have to carry two helmets. A full face for on the highway and a lid for in-town riding. In heavy traffic you can’t afford to have anything obstructing your view or hearing even a little bit.

I’m responsible for my safety and if I feel I don’t want a helmet on; that should be the end of it.

I remember all that going down in Illinois with the seat belts. If I remember right  it was in the 60's just before I went in the Army.

It was more the hearing then the view with the later full helmets. I liked the half helmet if I had to wear one. Loved the little beanie with the after market DOT sticker.  

Edited by crossfire

Was coming home from an 8 hour road trip, come across a check point right near the house and when I finally got up to the row of deputies, I wound up with a young deputy and he waved me through, I asked what the checkpoint was about and he (hesitantly) said a seatbelt check.

He was irritated that they were doing this from what I could sense and see in his eyes. Rightfully so, it was ugly situation in this great country.

Ive got a some pretty patriotic LEO's in my community and I've wondered how many of them are members here.

Considering the seat belt check had nothing to do with safety and awareness but revenue generation, it's despicable.

When revenues fall because not enough folks are breaking laws, guv'mint creates new laws to make more law breakers to fine.
  • Like 2

Considering the seat belt check had nothing to do with safety and awareness but revenue generation, it's despicable.

When revenues fall because not enough folks are breaking laws, guv'mint creates new laws to make more law breakers to fine.

Agreed. The majority of criminals don't have any money to take, so ya gotta tap in to the honest folk.

Unfortunately, the founders of the states and union decided to set up institutions whose job it was to pass laws. So that's what they do, whether they're needed or not..

Early 80's

Your right, you had to wear seat belts at that time, but they had to be installed in all of the cars in the 1960's. Illinois was one of the first states to require seat belts in cars, Wisconsin was the first, I believe. 

Yes sir, you are very capable of taking care of yourself. Laws are for those who can't, or who refuse to take care of themselves. It doesn't bother me one way or another if we have helmet laws or not. No skin off my noggin. But those that speed in and out of traffic weaving in, between and around cars at a high rate of speed are the ones that should be thankful we have helmet laws. Fort Campbell's bike regs would blow y'alls minds; Long sleeves, long pants, helmets, eye protection, leather boots and an orange or green safety vest or shoulder sash. And a "required" Motorcycle safety course (a waste of time) offered on post prior to getting permitted to ride on post.

Dave

Fort Campbell's rules seem to be modeled after how I dress when I ride every time I get on my bike, except they seem to have left out gloves. Wouldn't blow my mind a bit.

Again, everyone seems OK with these laws that don't affect them. So why then do we not support "common sense" gun laws that are aimed at those who "can't take of themselves"? It's exactly the same thing. We either need laws that treat us like children that can't make our own decisions or we don't. I choose don't.

Edited by LagerHead
  • Like 5

Your right, you had to wear seat belts at that time, but they had to be installed in all of the cars in the 1960's. Illinois was one of the first states to require seat belts in cars, Wisconsin was the first, I believe. 

Belts were required in NEW MODELS by the "National Highway Safety Bureau" which was created by the  "National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966". Belts began being required from 1968 on but many pre-belt models were sold with "optional" safety belts. My '74 bronco was ordered without belts(I had the window sticker) but our '72 f100 had them. Individual states passing laws requiring mandatory seatbelt use did not occur until the '80s!

Fort Campbell's rules seem to be modeled after how I dress when I ride every time I get on my bike, except they seem to have left out gloves. Wouldn't blow my mind a bit.

Again, everyone seems OK with these laws that don't affect them. So why then do we not support "common sense" gun laws that are aimed at those who "can't take of themselves"? It's exactly the same thing. We either need laws that treat us like children that can't make our own decisions or we don't. I choose don't.

I did forget gloves...my bad.

Dave

http://clarksvillenow.com/local/227-people-charged-during-weekend-saturation-patrols/ Now mind you, this road block was set up as a "seatbelt check point". Go figure....

Dave

In all about being safe and doing unto others, but checkpoints are very reminiscent of Nazi Germany as well as current day Germany.

I believe strict penalties in lieu if this crap like this would be better. This is (was) America, now, I don't know.

If the powers that be were really concerned about our safety, they would offer other alternatives.

Too bad soo sad, pay your fine!
  • Like 1
Got to keep the narrative alive!
I don't know if this man died from head injuries or not but I can guarantee you, the media doesn't care.

Kentucky State Police officers were called to KY 38 around 5:49 p.m. They say a 2004 Yamaha motorcycle operated by Morrice Petrey, 35, of Evarts, was traveling east when he crossed the center line and struck a 1997 Chevrolet pickup truck driven by Lloyd Fleenor Jr.
Petrey was pronounced dead at the scene by the coroner’s office. Officials say he wasn’t wearing a helmet.
Fleenor was not injured. The crash remains under investigation.

RIP Morrice!

http://wate.com/2015/03/31/harlan-county-ky-man-killed-in-motorcycle-crash/
  • Like 1