Traveling across state lines with NFA items?

Last night as I was dozing off in my chair I remember reading something about having to file for permission to cross state lines? I bounced all over the web last night and have tried to go back and find whatever I was reading but have had no luck so thought I'd ask here.. I travel to Florida with firearms quite a bit for hunting and target shooting and I'd put no thought into the matter. I'm truly hoping that its not going to be a pia just to carry the suppressor that I have ordered down for a pig hunt.
Thanks guys! Is it something that you have to send in and wait for them to send you something back? I'm just wondering if this means that I'll have to start the process weeks or more ahead of time in order to be good to go. Seems silly to me that we're required to do such when traveling from, through and to states that the items are legal in but I don't know why I'd expect anything else out of the ATF.

Edit: Capbyrd has it down.  Missed his response.

I did go ahead and fill out a form 20 for my suppressor just to help with the hassle should I need it when visiting my parents.  They are both on my trust as well, but we all know many LE's don't have any idea what all of these things are.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

You can also fill it out to a year at a time, January 1 to December 31.

Really? That would be incredible because I head to FL at least 4 times per year so I was thinking that this was gonna be a pain once I sbr my blackout. Would you fill out the same form to go for the year rather than by the day or week?

Suppressors and AOWs do not need 5320.20 forms. 

true but first don't they have to legal in the states u travel thru also?

I know up till a few years ago, in Bama about the only that was illegal to be in the state was a SBR. but that has since been fixed.

true but first don't they have to legal in the states u travel thru also?

If transported according to FOPA, firearms only have to be legal in the state of your destination.

As for 5320.20, if you plan to use the firearm in AZ, do you have to list every state you'll be passing through to get there?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Keep in mind too in a crunch, a SBR is only a SBR when it has a short barrel on it.. it's perfectly legal to throw a 16"+ upper and you don't have to file anything.  If you do file and don't do the year, be sure to give the, 3-4 weeks at minimum.. they do approve quicker but can drag their feet sometimes.  You can also fax your 5320 to them for faster turn around.

Keep in mind too in a crunch, a SBR is only a SBR when it has a short barrel on it.. it's perfectly legal to throw a 16"+ upper and you don't have to file anything.  ..

As long as you don't also have a compatible short barrel along with you at all. As long as you are "in control" of parts retained to make it a SBR means it's not removed from NSA purview.

I know you know that, btw. ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Well I seldom go anywhere other than FL with firearms (other than my carry pistol) so as long as I can legally be in possession in GA, AL and FL I'm good to go. Anywhere else I go would be seldom enough that it won't be a huge deal to file for it. I don't like that I'm being restricted in my travels with something that I legally own, but hey, who is.

By "temp" you are meaning an sbr engraved lower that has a 16" upper on it temperarily?

Yeah. You can even sell it as a normal Title 1 (GCA) firearm that way, without even notifying ATF, though they "recommend" you do.

- OS

If transported according to FOPA, firearms only have to be legal in the state of your destination.

As for 5320.20, if you plan to use the firearm in AZ, do you have to list every state you'll be passing through to get there?

- OS

Only in the states that you stay the night in.
  • 3 months later...

Bumping this one up, good info here. I was looking for info pertaining to traveling with my sbr and this thread answered a lot of questions. Im glad I came upon this because I will be going to Paducah soon and thought the only thing I needed to do was carry a copy of my stamp with me if I took my sbr. So I will need to take my returned form 20 and a copy of my stamp? Copies are ok right? Thanks for any info.

• 1 year later...

Bumping up this old thread. I'm wanting to go to Missouri soon and will be in Illinois for only a matter of minutes with no stop planned except the 1 stop light which may be red. I know my destination is Missouri. But worse case scenario while I am in Illinois and catch a dui roadblock, behind a wreck, etc do I have anything to worry about just carrying it through that ridiculous law manufacturing state?

7 minutes ago, rugerla1 said:

Bumping up this old thread. I'm wanting to go to Missouri soon and will be in Illinois for only a matter of minutes with no stop planned except the 1 stop light which may be red. I know my destination is Missouri. But worse case scenario while I am in Illinois and catch a dui roadblock, behind a wreck, etc do I have anything to worry about just carrying it through that ridiculous law manufacturing state?

Are you legally able to have your NFA firearm in MO, meaning filed the paperwork? If so, FOPA should be in effect for the trip from one legal place to another legal place.

Tell the LEO that accosts you in IL that I said that. :)

- OS

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Are you legally able to have your NFA firearm in MO, meaning filed the paperwork? If so, FOPA should be in effect for the trip from one legal place to another legal place.

Tell the LEO that accosts you in IL that I said that. :)

- OS

Sorry OS I guess that information would have been helpful huh? Suppressor is what I'm bringing and good to go in Missouri. So my understanding is that transportation of suppressor doesn't need to be "authorized" as an SBR would by the ATF before I travel. 

I'd did a few Google searches for traveling through IL and between the internet tough guys screaming "do it and shut your mouth" and guys saying they wouldn't risk it in IL, I just wanted to hear a calm answer from cooler heads here on TGO. I'm not bringing the SBR because I may not have time for a response from ATF but would really like to let my Dad try out the can while I'm there.