leather question's

Guest Dusty83

Guest Dusty83

im looking to get a new holster, its a IWB kydex holster with a leather back. the order options are oil tanned or dyed, so i have a few questions about those two options.

whats the difference between the 2?

will the color flake off?

will my body or clothings become stained?

is 1 better than the other?

With oil tanned you get more of a natural color
Umm No
Nope
Nope

There are some good Leather Mechanics around the room, gregintenn makes some very nice holsters. I'm sure he could answer any questions you might have. What brand are you looking at, that will get you some responses for pros vs cons
  • Like 1

im looking to get a new holster, its a IWB kydex holster with a leather back. the order options are oil tanned or dyed, so i have a few questions about those two options.

Depends on who makes it. Dyed Holsters can “gas out”. Here is what High Noon says about it.
http://www.highnoonholsters.com/_Questions/_questions.html#62

Yes, skip the Kydex and go with leather. biggrin.gif

Oil tanned uses various types of oil to make the natural leather a little prettier.  Dyed changes its color (red, blue, black, etc.)

Wouldn't think so.

Possibly, depends on the dye used and the process though which it's applied.  My dyed black motorcycle gloves stain my hands black when they get wet.  It doesn't go away with time, I've had them for years.

Personal choice.  I prefer a more natural leather color. 

Either will be fine as long as the quality of leather is good.  On a kydex rig its simply there to provide some flexibilty (comfort) around the body.  An oil tanned will likely be more resistant to body pirspiration.  Mfg likely provides a choice simply for color.  It's IWB, who cares right?  They wont stay in business long if the leather color bleeds.  The troube with any kydex is finish wear on the firearm.  Please lets not start this debate again.   If your weapon is simply a tool like a framing hammer, get kydex.  If you are hoping to preserve your finish and value get an all leather rig.  For the record, I am biased toward leather but trying to answer your OP question.

Guest Dusty83

i know my questions may have seemed silly but i have seen a belt from a reputable belt maker start flaking after about a month. it was a friends belt and his belly started rubbing the belt around the buckle and so the leather on that part of the belt started flaking off pretty good over more time. thats why i asked about the flaking. i would say where the belt came from but i dont want to start any trouble here and be called a liar or give anyones product a bad rep, the guy could have simply got stuck with a bad load of leather or something, IDK so i wont give a source.

my carry gun for now is a cz p07, and i do not care if its damaged. just like my pocketknife ive had and carried every day for 10 years give or take. it use to be black, its now silver with black spots because the paint/finish has warn off or been chipped off. 

anyway thanks for the info dudes, the hybrid holster looks just like a super tuck but its from a random dude on ebay for 40$ so i thought i might try it out for 40$, its brand new never used. and anyway i thought id ask yall a few things about the leather coloring before i did pull the trigger. my main concern was stained skin and or clothing, the flaking stuff isnt a problem just wanted to know if i should expect it which i guess i should anyway and probably didnt need to ask. i'll blame it on the 3 hours of sleep...

I've been making kydex/leather hybrid holsters for years. Out of the dozens I've made, the dye only leeched out once and that was my fault for trying it on before I sealed it and while it was still slightly damp.

My guess would that if this happened regularly any manufacturer out there that used dye that can get on you or your clothes would get raked over the coals by its customers and we would all know about it, especially here in the Internet age.

If you have any reservations whatsoever, I'd recommend sticking with the natural tanned. As the years go by you can rub a dab of neatsfoot oil on it to keep it from absorbing sweat/water or from drying out.

Edit: Check out Alien Gear Holsters. I hear good things and they're cheaper than the one you mentioned on eBay. 

Also, about the chipping/flaking...leather dye is not a coating. It actually seeps into the fibers of the leather. After it dries and sheen is applied, it's nearly permanent. What you're describing sounds more like some sort of paint, which is sometimes used to "pretty-up" some embossing or stamping.

Edited by BigK
I have several holsters I use depending on my dress for that day. I sometimes carry IWB ( although the not very comfortable for a fat boy) and OWB. Only normal wear found on any of the. I do prefer all leather pancake as they can be worm with just about and cloths

I got a hybrid IWB holster with a leather lined kydex shell from a local guy who made it while I watched but will take mail orders too: http://mtoholster.com/.  I chose a brown color and so far it has not had any issues that you have concerns about, the leather is thicker than most other holsters I have.  The Alien Gear prices can't easily be beat though specially with the 2 holster deal, I think I'll try these guys out for my next two to compare: http://aliengearholsters.com/alien-gear-2-holster-combo.html/

Guest Dusty83

thanks for the alien gear plug, i had completely forgot about that brand!!! i looked at their holsters for a glock 29 a while back, can't believe i totally forgot about them.

ive got a new question, whats a good cheap mag pouch for a cz p07 mag? i dont need a double just a single, once again thanks in advance!