Size comparison, Glock and 1911

Steelharp

Ok, so I was bored at the shop tonight; not a lot happening. I decided to grab a couple guns for size comparison. This is probably NOT a revelation to anyone here, but I was surprised to see that a Glock 17 is basically identical to a 1911 Commander. I would have thought it was the 19. THAT is like an Officer's. The 34 that looks sooooo long is actually the same size as a full size 1911.

So, if the Commander is considered the "perfect" carry package in a 1911, it would seem to me that the G17 would be the "perfect" Glock, and NOT the 19.

Thoughts?

Not a 1911 guy so hard for me to compare Glock to 1911s.  I can attest to carrying Glocks though, and I'll say that I have concealed a G17 lots, both iwb and owb.  While I prefer my 19 for summertime iwb carry, those who say the 17 can't be concealed, aren't really trying... 

• Like 3

Not a 1911 guy so hard for me to compare Glock to 1911s.  I can attest to carrying Glocks though, and I'll say that I have concealed a G17 lots, both iwb and owb.  While I prefer my 19 for summertime iwb carry, those who say the 17 can't be concealed, aren't really trying... 

Yeah, I would say if one could conceal a 1911, the 17 would be a breeze.

Well those are same people who claim they can hid their carry gun with just a t shirt and post pictures standing straight up to prove it. Probably can hide anything once these guys start to move around and bend over and stuff.

I will admit that I rarely carry my 17 in the summer. However, I stand by my statement that it can be concealed without too much effort. Sweaters, jackets, an untucked plaid shirt, you add any of these to a stiff belt and a Supertuck and it isn't that hard.
  • Like 1

I will admit that I rarely carry my 17 in the summer. However, I stand by my statement that it can be concealed without too much effort. Sweaters, jackets, an untucked plaid shirt, you add any of these to a stiff belt and a Supertuck and it isn't that hard.

I've been carrying my 17 under a T-shirt lately. I think I actually prefer it over my 19's.

the 1911's stepchildren show that there are far better options than the giant sized commander or classic versions.  Almost all the major brands offer smaller alternative 1911-ish frames that are better suited for daily wear -- reduced weight, bulk, and so on in a variety of forms including a few double stacks and many in alternate calibers like 9mm.

As for the glock,  the 17 is pretty slick, but its still too fat for me.

As for concealment and ideal, it really depends on the person.   I *can* conceal my desert eagle 44, which is a scaled up 1911 in terms of size and shape etc, so long as I use a nylon towing strap for a gunbelt and wear baggy clothing and never sit down.   I am, however, a desk jockey.  Even the majority of midsized firearms are aggravating in a chair ... and having tried just about every shape and size out there,  I have a tiny 9mm single stack that does not bother me sitting down all day.   Both the 17 and the cmdr would drive me bonkers jammed into my belly or pushed into my back.  If I stood up all day, both would be great.

I've been pondering the "Giant Commander" comment for a bit now and can't decide if it's off beat humor or what, as the GM would be the closest to that definition. On the all steal variants weight wouldn't be enough to really notice and the slide length difference would only help in an OWB high rise holster. I've carried both a Combat Commander and a GM IWB & OWB and at one time was just plain skinny and am now of a med. to med. heavy build. To get the best carry results from a Commander it's have to be an alloy frame Commander due to its reduction in weight.

As to the Desert Eagle being a larger version of a 1911??? I'm guessing this is the full sized boat anchor .357 Mag/.44 Mag/50AE behemoth? If so I'd think it'd take a bit more than a heavier belt to comfortably carry that turkey.

Sonny, set them up on their slides, grips up, next to each other. You'll see how much shorter the 17 is. It's definitely Commander size, NOT full size 1911.

Height & Length wise the G-17 is certainly 1911 Commander size but the disparity is width for the G-17 and weight for an all steel Commander. Fortunately either of these disparities are subjective with individual preferences and proper belt & holster set up's providing solutions.
  • Like 1

And honestly most people would not notice what you are carrying. We all think we are printing because WE know the gun is there but the average person will never notice. Most are oblivious to their surroundings and would never notice a concealed gun regardless of how big it is. I have worn shirts that were tight enough to outline the gun and never noticed anyone acting like I was made. Since getting my Shield life is a lot better because it is so much lighter than my 1911.

One of the biggest things that those carrying guns do that gives them away is they constantly touch their gun. I see people adjusting their gun or touching it, I presume to make sure it is still there, as well as resting their hand on the gun's grip. If you need to check if you still have your gun you need a different holster. Also, you should be able to feel the weight, or mass, of the gun without the need to constantly check if it is still there.

• Like 3