Need input on 1911 sights

Pete123

Wow, I wish I had 21 year old eyes as I could shoot just fine regardless of the sights.

I have a 1911 Govt Model with Trijicon H3 14's on the back ant a 15 on the front.  The front sight is fine.

This gun isn't a defense gun currently - I mainly shoot it at the range.  I shoot at an indoor range.  The light in the range hits the rear sights and gives off such a glare that I can't use the rear sights and front sight in conjunction.

I would like to get some good sights in the reasonably priced range that will let me use this gun as a pleasure gun at the range.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Interestingly, I have the Sig NightSights on my Sig and don't have the same problem with them.  The code on the Sig sights is MH3 AN.

• Administrator

Manufacturer is Springfield Armory

Is it just the Springfield Armory GI model or is it one of the others?  Specifically which one?  I ask because they have various sight cuts in the slides, so I want to actually recommend something to you.

It's the current model Springfield 1911 Loaded.

No problem on asking questions.  I need help and you need info to help me.

Also, don't forget the 52 year old eyes.

Edited by Pete123

I have become a big proponent of blacked out rears and FO fronts sights,my RO is set up this way

and I also really like the figure 8 my DW came with ..wow really nice

If you have a Springer Millspec your sight choices will be limited as your slide has GI cuts

Edited by SonnyCrockett
  • Administrator

Egh... well there's good news and bad news.  First we're still not quite narrowed down to what Springfield you have.  There is the Loaded Operator, the Loaded Champion, the Loaded MC Operator and about four others.  You really need to give us the model number or something.

The good news is that quite a few companies make sights that will fit the Springfield Loaded family of 1911's.  The bad news is that Springfield is notorious for using several different heights of sights even in the same models, so you really need to measure yours to know what height you need.   Furthermore, the last Springfield Loaded that I had and put sights on, the sights took a lot of filing in order to make them fit right.

ok, the UPC code is PX9109LP.  The box says, ".45 STD Park 2/NS 11-Gs"

Does that provide the info needed?  If not, can you let me know how to determine which model?  I'm about to take pics and upload to Photo Bucket and will post a link.  

Also, I can measure anything needed, just let me know what needs measuring.

I really appreciate you two helping me.

• Administrator

Yep that will do.  The PX9109LP is just the standard 5" Loaded Parkerized model.  It looks like this, right?

clyde_armory_springfield_1911_loaded_par

That model should use the Novak "Low Mount" sights so you are in relatively good shape.  I'd look at the 10-8 Performance rear sight and then pair it up with either an orange-outlined Tritium front sight of the appropriate height from someone like Trijicon if you want to retain night sight capability, or if you're set on it primarily being a range toy maybe just pair it up with a 10-8 Performance front sight with either the brass bead or the fiber optic insert.

• Administrator

Also, Heinie makes some sights that should work with it...

Ledge style with pronounced hook for compromised slide manipulation

http://www.heinie.com/361tl-ultra-low-mount-ledge-rear-sight-black/

Snagless style

http://www.heinie.com/365p-ultra-low-mount-slantpro-rear-sight-w-tritium-dot/

And they've got a multitude of front sights.

http://www.heinie.com/front-sights/

Just bear in mind with all of this that you're very likely going to need the assistance of a skilled gunsmith.  I'm sure the members can make some recommendations for you.

• Administrator

One final suggestion on sights.  These are exactly what I run on my Colt 1911 and I don't think even Stevie Wonder could miss seeing the front sight on it.  :)

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=CA128O

The cheapest place I could find them online was OpticsPlanet.com and if you Google around a bit you can usually find a coupon code that will knock some off the cost.  Those SHOULD fit without any filing.

• 3 weeks later...