.223 brass ejecting forwards?

The brass on the last reloads I shot were ejecting forwards around the 1-2 o clock range. Every other factory load I have shot through it ejects at the normal 4-6 range. Seems that most folks say it is "over gassed" but I am not sure I understand what that means.

The last load was a 55gr Vmax and a 75 gr bthp. Both with 21.5 grains of H335. The starting load was 21 with a max of 23.

Any ideas? Anything to worry about?

I'm gonna try to get a chronograph soon but don't have one yet. So forwards ejection basically means higher pressure? I just find that hard to believe with such a small charge but I guess there are many variables. They were actually doing this with the starting load of 21 grains. Maybe a little more to the 3 oclock spot though now that I think about it. I'll try some with the CFE223 and see what happens.

Must be hotter loads than you've been shooting, "over gassed" meaning bolt coming back faster than optimum, shells are hitting deflector or side of ejection port and bouncing forward instead being tossed out cleanly.

As long as it reliably runs that way, wouldn't worry about it. Failures happen with over gassing when extraction issues are encountered, ie, chamber pressure hasn't dropped enough and extractor fails to get empty casing out by slipping over the cartridge rim before it's completely removed for ejector to fling it out. That's why so many ARs need the "enhanced" extractor spring and/or o-ring to make it grip better -- because so many ARs are overgassed from the maker. Especially prevalent with short barrels/pistols. And then it's possible the extractor claw can actually tear through the rim with extreme over gassing.

If that was only load you fired, might want to use heavier buffer, though adjustable block best, but again, if runs 100%, "no need to fix something that ain't broken". :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

My loads with CFE223 generally eject at 1 or 2 o'clock, and chrono in the range of factory rounds.

Not a reloader, but burn rate of different powders with different weight bullets probably figures significantly into pressure left in chamber as extraction begins?

- OS

Install and adjustable gas block. You will be amazed at how your gun will feel when tuned. BTW, your barrel is more than likely over gassed as it is because manufacturers drill them too big so they do not get something back for warranty work because it will not cycle Tula or Wolf.

• Like 1

Install and adjustable gas block. You will be amazed at how your gun will feel when tuned. BTW, your barrel is more than likely over gassed as it is because manufacturers drill them too big so they do not get something back for warranty work because it will not cycle Tula or Wolf.

+1. The supafly has spoken.
  • Like 1

I plan to put an adjustable on my blackout build but probably won't put anymore into this one. Maybe one day though. As long as it's not going to really hurt anything then I'm OK with the brass landing neatly to my right at the range rather than behind me for someone to sweep up.  :cool:

The last load was a 55gr Vmax and a 75 gr bthp. Both with 21.5 grains of H335. The starting load was 21 with a max of 23.

I don't have access to the latest manual with the Vmax bullets but the 3rd edition Hornady manual that I have from years ago shows the 55 grain spire point bullet starting load at 21.4 grains delivering 2800 FPS in the test rifle.  Maximum load from this manual is 26.3 grains and shows 3300 FPS but was fired in Remington 700.  I think you might be on the low pressure side of the load rather than max. 

Edited by deadeye111

I don't have access to a Hornady manual but the Sierra 5th Edition starting load for the .223 Remington with 55 grain SPT starting load for H335 is 23.6 grains delivering 2700 FPS in their test barrel.  The maximum load shown in the Sierra manual is 25.7 grains for the 55 grain bullet and 3000 fps.  I know I am comparing apples to oranges in a sense but the load data should not be that different.   

This data was actually from Hodgdon's website/loading tool. It does not have specific options for each bullet type so I just went by the bullet weight.

I found an old manual and was editing my post while you posted.  Sorry!!  See post  #14.

Yep I agree that I should be on the very low side. I am just confused why a normal xm855 round puts the brass right where it's supposed to go but a supposedly lower power round seems to be over-gassed. Maybe over-gassed doesn't necessarily correspond with a hotter load??

I would work up a load of about 5 rounds each starting at minimum and going to near max.  I use a Oehler 33 chronograph and record data along with 5 shot groups to choose the load I use in my rifles including the AR15.  Most of the loads I shoot are near the max as I use powder that almost fills the case.  The H335 is good powder along with CFE223 and Varget IMHO.  I haven't tried other powders in the AR15.  The H335 had most velocity of the 3 and good accuracy but I am shooting CFE223 at the present time as I got 8 lbs from David.

x2

I do not worry about the adjustments moving, within 20-30 rounds the carbon will lock the adjustments in place. But nothing wrong with an additional lock either.

These are the ones I use now:

http://bte-usa.com/parts/micro-gasblocks.htm

They are 17-4 and clamp on. Amazing little blocks.

Not a bad price either. At that price I may just buy two when I get to that point and put one on this gun.

I do not worry about the adjustments moving, within 20-30 rounds the carbon will lock the adjustments in place. But nothing wrong with an additional lock either.

These are the ones I use now:

http://bte-usa.com/parts/micro-gasblocks.htm

They are 17-4 and clamp on. Amazing little blocks.

This has not been my experience with cheaper units (Kies), hence my upgrade to the Syrac.