Two New Paracord Projects...

Guest Broomhead

Guest Broomhead

The first is a standard cobra bracelet weave but with a length of the pictured chain as the core. It has a nice heft to it without being too heavy for a bracelet. Useful as some "knuckles" perhaps? I found the chain, which was probably 12" in diameter, in a pawn shop's loose tool bin and bought it for 50 cents.

[URL=http://s432.photobucket.com/user/Broomheads/media/20150407_192049_zpslycgfuge.jpg.html]20150407_192049_zpslycgfuge.jpg[/URL]

Secondly, I would call these Monkey Nuts. I've never seen anything like this done so I decided to wing it and see if it could be done. There are two 3/4" bearings inside this single dual-balled monkey's fist. This isn't two separate fists linked together in sequence, the strands are interwoven in two planes. The two residual ends were wrapped tightly around the center to bulk it up a little, but it doesn't need it and I'm not too keen on the look, the next one won't have that done. I took the idea of a monkey's fist tying jig and made one with two separate jigs with a ~1/2" space between. I'll redo that one so it has a larger gap though, my fingers couldn't quite fit, making it difficult to do some of the weaving.

[URL=http://s432.photobucket.com/user/Broomheads/media/20150407_114251_zpsdbcbygrb.jpg.html]20150407_114251_zpsdbcbygrb.jpg[/URL]

If anyone is interested in trying some Monkey Nuts I can do either a pictorial or try to do a video.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Broomhead

Very cool. Definitely like the double monkey fist (I refuse to refer to them as monkey nuts while showing interest in them ;) ).

A 'how-to' would be greatly appreciated

Aw...come on...You don't like my monkey's nuts? Just don't tell our wife, et. al., that you're interested in them.

I actually completely forgot about doing a how-to. With Mom's Day this weekend it will probably have to wait till next week, but I'll get something out for y'all.
Guest Broomhead
Um...yeah...I used a jig too. I just set it up so there were two jigs separated by about 3/4" on one board. Interweaving it was the difficult part.

Just had an idea about the chain bracelet.  I know you can pull the core out of paracord and string some of the thinner strands together to make fishing line.  With that bracelet, if you had a way to remove one of the links once the bracelet was disassembled, you could run the fishing line through the hinge 'eyelets', tie a couple of knots in the line to keep it from slipping up and down and you'd have a pretty good sinker.  The length of chain inside the bracelet should provide for a pretty good supply of sinkers.

Now you just need a way to safely and securely carry hooks in/on the bracelet.  Hmmm...I wonder if it would work to pop the back off of a cheap, non-working watch (like you would do if you were replacing the batteries),  take the 'guts' out, put a couple of fish hooks and a fly or two inside the case then replace the back and then attach it to the bracelet as if the bracelet were a watch band.  I'll have to ponder that one.

Edited by JAB