Left Handed Pistol. I hope this is posted in the right place.

Guest bill

Hi all,

Second post to the forum after the introduction, I am a newbie and do not own a firearm yet. I just got my finger prints mailed off last week for my carry permit. I did not realize that being left handed has some dis-advantages. Many of the firearms I've been looking at have all of the operations located for right handed people. With the exception of higher priced handguns that contain ambidextrious controls.

I saw another post where someone stated they were left handed, but they carried right handed. This was for the sole purpose of them ever being car jacked, and that seems very smart to me. It would be hard to aim left in your left hand while in the vehicle.

I am in need of some advice on affordable left handed handguns and/or should I just starting to shoot right handed instead? I feel very awkward shooting right handed, but I guess practice makes perfect? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Watauga

Everyone was a newbie at some time, except maybe some old grumpy Marine Gunny!

Some handguns allow for left handed operation. Check out the Beretta PX4. The safety/de-cocker and mag release can reversed for left handed. Buy the best quality you can afford, your life may depend on it.

I am left handed and practice shooting righty every time I go shoot. It is becming more and more natural feeling as I get more trigger time right handed.

I can operate the hammer safety on a 1911 quite easily using my index finger of my left hand when shooting it left handed.

I do carry on my right side though, mostly for like you said a carjacking scenario.

I also think it is just as important for a righthanded person to practice shooting lefty too. you never know the situation you may find yourself in. And it is always best to have practiced first.

And to add, don't look past getting a revolver. they are pretty much ambidextrous.

Other than Sigs, pretty much all handguns can be operated safely by lefties. The 1911/Hi-Powers need an ambi safety (the newer HP's come with it). Springfield XD's have ambi mag releases.

Most lefties learn to operate the mag release and slide release with their LH index finger which is actually easier to do without changing your grip unless you have monkey hands.

While Mike357 may be able to operate the standard thumb safety while shooting from a firing line easily, doing so while moving/struggling is a different beast. There is a reason most left handed folks who carry a 1911 have an ambi safety installed.

As for the Charter Arms LH revolver, which way do you want to struggle with your dominate hand or your less used hand? What if you have broken your left wrist? Would it be easier using a gun "designed" around a RH person or a LH person with only your "weak" hand? I've carried standard revolvers for years and shot IDPA with them. I've never had to take a back seat to anyone due to reloading; it just takes lots of practice and using a good technique.

Guest Alpha Dog

I'm not only left-handed, I'm one-handed :eek:

I have used handguns with ambi safeties and without...to be honest, for me, it is just as easy if not easier to use my thumb to activate the left-side safety...whichever safety I "thumb" I have to break my grip to an extent and relocate my thumb. (Wouldn't be as big a deal if I had 2 hands.)

Mag release can be "thumbed" but I prefer the index finger.

You can eliminate having to manipulate a safety altogether...get a glock :)

Someone mentioned practicing offhanded...I think everyone should do that, and practice one-handed offhanded, too.

What will you do if your dominate hand is disabled in a gunfight and you have never practiced reloading or even racking the slide one-handed offhanded?

But, back on topic...I think you should get a regular gun (not a lefthanded).

2 reasons: 1) better for resale 2) you would be able to use anyone elses gun (again, thinking about a gunfight where you run dry and pick up someones regular gun, but you are used to a left handed gun and everything is backwards.)

There are two of us here on TGO who're Expert/Master level IDPA shooters, that use Glocks exclusively.

They're about the most lefty-friendly pistol out there, IMO. I prefer them to the ambi controls on the M&P, for example. The right-side slide release would be nice, were it possible to reliably utilize it in a match. But it's too carefully recessed to be of any use, IMO.

Using the ring and trigger finger of the strong hand to work the controls on a Glock is the way I actually prefer it. No chance of thumbing the controls accidentally, either.

I have used handguns with ambi safeties and without...to be honest, for me, it is just as easy if not easier to use my thumb to activate the left-side safety...whichever safety I "thumb" I have to break my grip to an extent and relocate my thumb.

Hit the safety as you get your grip, no breaking of anything required. Again, try operating the grip by flipping your thumb across the gun while doing something dynamic.