Brick and Mortar for reloading supplies in West TN?

I know this is outside of another thread regarding but figured might get noticed sooner in a new post.  Looking for a retail store (non big box if possible) in west TN area that would sell powders/primers/bullets?  Started reloading 223 for plinking/training ammo and need to stock up a little more on powders, primers and bullets.  I can travel at the most to mid-TN, but would prefer not to if possible.  Also, been using CFE and AR Comp for my reloading.  Any other suggestions for reloading for AR?  Not looking for match ammo, just minute-of-man.  Someone I've spoken with also recommended BLC-2...thanks for any info you guys can provide...

Outside Bass Pro and Sportmans Warehouse in Southaven, Avery outdoors is the only non-big box store there is in the area.  They have a pretty good selection but are hit and miss on popular powders.  Primers are available, as well as a pretty good selection of projectiles.  Averys is like Marshalls and T J Maxx.  You never know whats going to hit the shelf, but I can assure you it will be gone quickly. 

• Like 2

Outside Bass Pro and Sportmans Warehouse in Southaven, Avery outdoors is the only non-big box store there is in the area.  They have a pretty good selection but are hit and miss on popular powders.  Primers are available, as well as a pretty good selection of projectiles.  Averys is like Marshalls and T J Maxx.  You never know whats going to hit the shelf, but I can assure you it will be gone quickly. 

yep...i got a couple of lbs of CFE and 1000rd once fired lake city brass from them about 6 weeks ago...should have bought more powder while they had it, but lesson learned.  just trying to not pay shipping+tax+hazmat ordering from midsouth shooters supply...

Bass Pro carries quite a bit of AR oriented powders...kinda pricey. Around $30.00-$32.00 per pound. But if you have one near you, you can order it online and have it shipped to the store for pickup. Save that HazMat fee.

I just checked and they have H335. My AR's love that stuff with 55 gr bullets.

http://www.basspro.com/Shooting-Reloading-Supplies-Reloading-Powder/Type-Rifle-Powder/_/N-1z0usuuZ1z0waci

I know it's not a brick and mortar store...just an option.

• Like 1

Wideners.com had Hodgdon's H-335 also in 1 and 8 lb containers ($156.50/8 lbs.) not long ago when I looked to see if they had .223/5.56 Lake City Brass.  They didn't have any brass in stock for .223

The H-335 is a good powder for the .223/5.56 and produces good velocity and accuracy.

• Like 2

Bass Pro carries quite a bit of AR oriented powders...kinda pricey. Around $30.00-$32.00 per pound. But if you have one near you, you can order it online and have it shipped to the store for pickup. Save that HazMat fee.

I just checked and they have H335. My AR's love that stuff with 55 gr bullets.

http://www.basspro.com/Shooting-Reloading-Supplies-Reloading-Powder/Type-Rifle-Powder/_/N-1z0usuuZ1z0waci

I know it's not a brick and mortar store...just an option.

As of the end of the month Memphis will be home to the largest Bass Pro Shop in the world. Lol! The old Pyramid will open up for business on April 31st. Should be a great place to shop. Looking forward to it. Edited by MphsTiger1981
  • Like 1
I go to "the gun shop" in Corinth ms. I have found the best prices there, but don't know if you could really save anything from Lakeland. I usually load up with friends and we all go to save gas and stock up.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I found 2 bottle of H335 at bass pro yesterday and snatched it. A little more than I would have liked to pay. I might be making a trip to Corinth tomorrow so if it works out I will pay that store a visit.

Thanks for the info everyone has provided

I found 2 bottle of H335 at bass pro yesterday and snatched it. A little more than I would have liked to pay. I might be making a trip to Corinth tomorrow so if it works out I will pay that store a visit.

Sometimes a bird in the hand is worth two down the road in Corinth. I've paid a little more than I wanted to at  Bass Pro, Sportsman's and Avery simply because they had what I wanted in stock while I was there. I never know whether brand X powder or primers will be in stock some place else, so it becomes a matter of betting that this may be the only place around that has what I want/need at the moment.

I will also give the local guys a heads up. If you like Unique powder, Sportsmans's Supermarket on Marathon Way in Southaven, MS had an 8 pound jug for $139.00 the other day. I started to buy it, but I honestly have an okay stock of powder right now and figured somebody else will need it more than me. 

Edited by MphsTiger1981

I had one of those rascals in my hot hand hand and decided I wasn't going to pay the price they were asking.  So I kindly put it back. Enjoy

Sometimes a bird in the hand is worth two down the road in Corinth. I've paid a little more than I wanted to at  Bass Pro, Sportsman's and Avery simply because they had what I wanted in stock while I was there. I never know whether brand X powder or primers will be in stock some place else, so it becomes a matter of betting that this may be the only place around that has what I want/need at the moment.

I will also give the local guys a heads up. If you like Unique powder, Sportsmans's Supermarket on Marathon Way in Southaven, MS had an 8 pound jug for $139.00 the other day. I started to buy it, but I honestly have an okay stock of powder right now and figured somebody else will need it more than me. 

I suspect we are all guilty of that very thing.  Its only human nature to get what we can see, sometime regardless of price. Then on the other hand you likely save on fuel, time and wear& tear on a vehicle by grabbing whats there.  

Bass Pro in my opinion is pushing it a little on the powder pricing.  Most the powders in the Memphis Store are in the mid 30's per pound.   Its like there trying to recoup Hazmat on 1-2 bottles. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Powders I've used for 55grain FMJ w/cannelure bullets are CFE Pistol, H335, and W748. Any ball powders from Hodgon will serve you well, as ball powder meters like water. You'll definitely make 2 MOA ammo at worst (if your technique and skills are right) which is good enough for shooting at steel.

For subMOA match or longer range loads, I use a 69 grain HPBT with Varget, AR Comp, RL15, or IMR 4064. These work well for that purpose. 

Good luck.

I haven't checked lately, but Guns and Ammo on Summer used to carry powders and primers. They were always high so I've never bought any of their's.

I was over there recently looking for small pistol primers, but all they had that day was large pistol primers. No powder to be seen. They did have a few old boxes of lead bullets, but the prices were not really that good. For whatever reason, the primer prices have always been competitive with everyone else.

I was over there recently looking for small pistol primers, but all they had that day was large pistol primers. No powder to be seen. They did have a few old boxes of lead bullets, but the prices were not really that good. For whatever reason, the primer prices have always been competitive with everyone else.

I'm not sure why they only have 6-8 bottles of powder stuck in the far back Right corner but As of Yesterday they have an 8 pound jug of Varget for a marked price of $241.?? plus taxes.  There were 4-5 1 lb bottler IMR4227 and some off the wall Winchester.  Best I could see the 4227 was 37.?? per 1 lb.  There were multiple boxes of Primers of all kinds stuck on a shelf up by the Scope ring Cabinets.  Guess they just order something and if it come in great, if not great.  That place amazes me. 

I'm not sure why they only have 6-8 bottles of powder stuck in the far back Right corner but As of Yesterday they have an 8 pound jug of Varget for a marked price of $241.?? plus taxes.  There were 4-5 1 lb bottler IMR4227 and some off the wall Winchester.  Best I could see the 4227 was 37.?? per 1 lb.  There were multiple boxes of Primers of all kinds stuck on a shelf up by the Scope ring Cabinets.  Guess they just order something and if it come in great, if not great.  That place amazes me. 

Now that you mention it, I do seem to remember a few bottles of what looked like powder that had been there since before the Civil War. Someone found it for me. It is as you described, stashed back in the corner several months ago when I asked about whether they had any powder or not.  You're right it was some powders I'd never seen or heard of using for handgun reloads. The other thing I noticed was the price on the old lead bullets I mentioned in my other post. I've been watching them for years, and over the years I've bought one or two boxes of 500 lead wadcutters or round nose for .38 and 9mm. They have had them forever, they were originally shipped from West TN Cartridge Company. They have always been $45 bucks for a box of 500. I noticed the other day they have marked up the 200 grain lead semi wad cutters $10 to $55. This is inventory that has been there for "years" yet they continue to mark it up?  Only at G&A....  :screwy:

Edited by MphsTiger1981
I have managed to scrape together 6lb of powder, 4 bottles of CFE 223 and 2 of H335. I have around a grand in primers and about 700rds worth of 55gr FMJBT. I am comfortable with this, but will be checking stores here and there to pickup stuff as the wallet allows. I don't want to be stuck if people start panic buying when the election cycle starts next year...

Now that you mention it, I do seem to remember a few bottles of what looked like powder that had been there since before the Civil War...... They have had them forever, they were originally shipped from West TN Cartridge Company. They have always been $45 bucks for a box of 500. I noticed the other day they have marked up the 200 grain lead semi wad cutters $10 to $55. This is inventory that has been there for "years" yet they continue to mark it up?  Only at G&A....  :screwy:

Mark up due to storage fees?

• Like 1