New Range in the Old RangeMaster Building in Memphis: Review/Rant

There is a new range in the building over on Mendenhall at Mt Moriah, previously known as Range Master's by Tom Given's and his staff. Tom moved out some time last year and a new tenant moved in. I have been over there about once a week or so since they opened, sometimes more often as its close to work and not any further from home than Range USA or TWRA. The name of the place is Global Training Academy and Range. 

The new owner or tenant, (not sure if he's buying the place or just renting) is a federal law enforcement officer. He wears his badge every time I see him, and I've asked him about it, at least twice just to make conversation and he never said exactly which federal department he works for.  I only mention this as he is apparently expects to someday have to identify himself in the confines of the building, otherwise, why not ditch the bling?

The owner's two sons work the front desk most of the time and they could not be nicer and more willing to help. They clearly have limited knowledge of guns and shooting, but things like that can be taught, whereas being polite to customers apparently is not a coachable sport. You either have it, or you don't. 

The charge for a lane is $12, tax included. Targets are $1 for small 8.5"x11" and $2 for the larger targets. Ammo prices are about the same as other places in town. You can shoot your AR but you have to buy their frangible ammo. The store for holsters and other gun related gear is limited.  There are nice couches and a big screen TV if someone in your party wants to be somewhere other than the range. They have painted the interior of the range and it looks bright and clean. The controls for the bringing the targets back and forth appears to be an ongoing problem. I was there Sunday and my target stuck down range and it happened again on a different lane again tonight. While it's an inconvenience, I don't think it's a deal breaker. There are usually other open lanes available, so I just pack up and move to another open lane. 

All in all, my experiences there have been pleasant over all. Until tonight, that is.

The owner was there and apparently he had to stop what he was doing and come to check me in. It seems this inconvenience bothered him. During the course of the check in he asked if I needed targets. Yes, please. He then asked about ammo. I declined as I roll my own. He said he needed to see all of my ammo. I took out about four boxes and laid them on the counter for him to inspect. He didn't open the lid or closely inspect anything,  just looked at them and mumbled "okay". Next he asked when the last time I filled out a waiver form. Now about three weeks ago he had waited on me and checked me in. He had me fill out the waiver form and told me in the future just say that I had one on file, so my response was, "I have one on file". He became irritated and asked "how long since you filled one out". I replied about two or three weeks ago when I filled it out for him, trying to remind him of the last time he and I had met at the counter. And last, but not least, after I paid with my debit card, he asked to see my ID. I'm beginning to think the guy either has brain damage or he's just a natural ass. Finally, he then turned around and looked at the range and after much contemplation said for me to take lane number 2. I walked through the doors and had to laugh. I was the only person on the range and you would have thought this guy was having trouble finding a place to put me due to how busy they were.

Needless to say, it ticked me how I was treated. Its not like I was there asking for something for free, or special treatment. I was simply paying to use his facility. The previous check-ins with him and the two sons had always been a breeze, and never once have we had to endure the Spanish Inquisition treatment. I feel like I was being treated like a perp, and frankly there was no reason for it. 

In conclusion, I'm not going back after tonight. As much as I really want there to be plenty of convenient places to go shoot, there is a point where the juice just ain't worth the squeeze. For me, I'm going back to Range USA and TWRA or any other place that will let me shoot in peace.

If you do decide to try it out, you'll find the range and building is clean and nice and the prices are reasonable. The two young adult sons who normally work the front desk are great. I personally don't care to take the chance to have to deal with the owner any more. Life is just too short and I don't need the hassle. 

This is the first time that I've heard of the place. I'll give them a try, but if I'm treated poorly I won't go back. RangeUSA always has exceptional customer service, but because I have to travel from near Southwind thru that cluster f*ck on I40/240 I haven't gone as frequently as I need to.

I stopped going to Top Brass a while back because I imagine I caught the young man there having a bad day. I was the only person on the dark, poorly ventilated range and I unwittingly let my .22 rifle case entend into the walking area after I placed it on the floor. I assume the young man was checking the range when he walked pass me and saw the case and said something to the effect of "why don't you get your shit off of the floor", then proceeded to kick my case. Years ago I would have caused a scene, but instead I got my stuff and left. I didn't file a complaint because the only other person there at the time was a woman who seemed to have been the young guys subordinate. In all fairness I must say that prior to this situation I had always been treated well at at Top Brass, especially by Chris.
  • Like 1

The new owner or tenant, (not sure if he's buying the place or just renting) is a federal law enforcement officer. He wears his badge every time I see him, and I've asked him about it, at least twice just to make conversation and he never said exactly which federal department he works for.  I only mention this as he is apparently expects to someday have to identify himself in the confines of the building, otherwise, why not ditch the bling?

He’s not a Federal agent anymore, he owns a Security Agency with 30 security Officers. So I would guess he wears the badge to identify himself in his day to day operations.

Here’s a story…
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news/2015/apr/8/a-range-of-his-own/print

He’s not a Federal agent anymore, he owns a Security Agency with 30 security Officers. So I would guess he wears the badge to identify himself in his day to day operations.

Here’s a story…
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news/2015/apr/8/a-range-of-his-own/print

Thanks for sharing. That is interesting. I asked him point blank last night about the badge. It looked to me a lot like the Shelby County Sheriff's Office badge, but he just grunted something about "Federal". I liked the article, it was a good piece. I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the signs posted in the range about being a shooting school and not a shooting gallery belonged to Tom Givens and were left there when he left. I also chuckled at his quote to the reporter,“I’m counting on you to keep coming once I give you a service and make you feel comfortable.” 

Since your previous visits went without issue, maybe the guy was having a bad day. One time doesn't necessarily indicate a trend.

Absolutely. You make a good point. I will just say I noticed from the jump that he's not what you might call a people person and the sons are much more personable than he is. And the reality is, most career law enforcement people are not outgoing, friendly people. And it's possible I might have had a bad day, too. It happens. However, I really got a whole other impression from dealing with him. He's never been all shucks and grins and welcome to my business, which you might expect from someone who has invested so much into a business. But hey, it's his to run as he sees fit. If I'm not his idea of the type of customer he wants, all he has to do is to continue to treat them the way I was treated last night and it won't be a problem. Guys like me won't be back if they have to deal with him and his attitude. 

• Moderators
Why is it that I am kinda hoping he gets wind of this thread and comes on the board to try and defend himself? We haven't had one of those bread in a while. :lol: Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 3

Why is it that I am kinda hoping he gets wind of this thread and comes on the board to try and defend himself? We haven't had one of those bread in a while. :lol:

Good point, Chuck. I agree It's a mighty thin pancake that doesn't have two sides to it. I'd certainly like to hear his thoughts on it. Chances are, he never gave it a second thought and thinks he gave me exceptional service. Maybe my expectations are unrealistic. I only compare this experience to what I've run into at other ranges in town, as well as Range Master when Tom was running it. I distinctly remember lots of folks having less than Chik-Fil-A type service from some of Tom's staff who worked the cash register.  Nobody's perfect all the time. 

• Like 1

Why is it that I am kinda hoping he gets wind of this thread and comes on the board to try and defend himself? We haven't had one of those bread in a while. :lol:

894e874b4c65004f474af87f42d53c8f.jpg

lol this oughta be good !!!

Albeit a well run range requires trust discipline and treating folks nice.
44513f9f2bfdfe40b6dfba109557e203.jpg
35301ca251b7aab69fb42ce2c6fc0df4.jpg Edited by Dustbuster
  • Like 2
  • Moderators

Good point, Chuck. I agree It's a mighty thin pancake that doesn't have two sides to it. I'd certainly like to hear his thoughts on it. Chances are, he never gave it a second thought and thinks he gave me exceptional service. Maybe my expectations are unrealistic. I only compare this experience to what I've run into at other ranges in town, as well as Range Master when Tom was running it. I distinctly remember lots of folks having less than Chik-Fil-A type service from some of Tom's staff who worked the cash register. Nobody's perfect all the time.

There's a reason why I drove all the way across town to Range USA when I live five minutes from Rangemasters.
  • Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I went for my third and final time today. RangeUSA is usually my preference, but as I stated the last time I posted, I live near FedEx HQ, and this range is more convenient.

As someone else stated, the young men are always polite, prompt and professional.  The father always seems uptight and angry.  

On my first visit I overlooked the rudeness assuming that he was having a bad day or the stress of running a new business was causing a little tension.  I took my wife on my second visit, and she hated the owner.  She thought that he was rude as hell and unappreciative of our business and money.  

Today's visit was more of the same.  Polite young man checked me in, checked my weapons and ammunition.  I always load my magazines at home with ball practice ammo, and finish my session with my preferred defensive ammo.

I shot the old ammo (Critical Defense) out of my edc  Glock19, then I shot about seven mags of various ball ammo from my Sig MPX, six mags of ball ammo thru my Sig Legion 226, multiple mags of ball thru both of my Glock19 pistols before loading a MPX mag with Critical Defense ammo.  After shooting a few rounds, out of nowhere the owner approached and asked "what are you shooting?", I replied a 9mm rifle. Then he asked about the ammo, and I replied Hornady Critical Defense. The owner then shouts "don't shoot another round, you can't shoot hollow points in here, and I don't know how you got them in here".  At that time, I had about ten boxes stacked on the table to shoot.  I explained to the owner that I start with ball and finish with defensive ammo, I wasn't sneaking ammo into his place.  

I unloaded the defensive ammo and started to shoot a Glock fitted with a laser grip so that I could zero the laser.  The owner stood behind me the entire time.  The laser was shooting low and right.  I didn't bother to adjust it.  I blew through my last magazine, packed my gear and proceeded to the counter to pay for an additional hour, because I had exceeded my initial time limit.

My issue is that the owner is rude.  I was not initially told that I couldnt shoot defensive ammo on the range, and if I was sneaking defensive ammunition into the range, why would I have it stacked ten boxes high on the table in plain view?

I don't wish ill will on the guy, but he'll never get another penny from me.

Thanks for the info.

That's unfortunate. I owned a small business for a long time. If there's one thing that is against the rules, it's being rude to a customer. Even if they deserve it. You've got to learn to let things go. Enforce policies, but be polite about it.

Not everyone is cut out for it.

I'll keep looking.

Does anyone know of a range on the Arkansas side of the river?