Remington Mosin

Ron45

I know a guy that has a Remington mosin-nagant for sale. It has the hex receiver and is the 91/30 model. I was very surprised to see this one as I never knew that Remington built any. It is in pretty rough shape and none of the numbers match. I already have a mosin, but I am interested in buying this one since it was built by Remington. Does anyone have any ballpark figure on the value. I know that is hard without pics, but just curious if they are worth more or less than the mosins from Russia. He priced it to me for 150 with about 200 rounds to go with it.

Both Remington and another company called New England Westinghouse were both contracted to produce about 3.3 million Mosin M91's for the imperial Russian government during WWI.  During the production run, the Russian Revolution occurred, and the Karensky government subsequently defaulted on the contracts.   Approximately 1.5 million or so had already been shipped to Russia, several hundred thousand more were waiting shipment, and additional rifles were in the production lines or stockpiled at the factories.  Both Remington and NEW were facing bankruptcy because of the default, the US government stepped in and bought up all the unshipped rifles and even had the factories produce more, many of which were issued to reserve troops and units of the national guard.  Both the US surcharged rifles and those which were purchased but never entered into Army stockpiles were later sold by the forerunner of the CMP to US citizens in the 20's, at a loss of about 90% of the original purchase price.  Others were bought by companies like Bannerman's of New York, then sold both here and abroad (some were even rechambered to 30-06).  Rifles that made it to Russia were confiscated by Finland after the Finns declared their independence from Russia, several were also sent to Spain during the Spanish Civil War of the 30's. Others wound up in various Balkan countries, and a large number were captured by the Germans and Austrians during the war, quite a few of those eventually were sold to Finland, as that country adopted the Mosin rifle as the basis of their firearms through WWII.

It's uncommon (though not unheard of) for a Remington or NEW barrel to be shortened to 91/30 lengths, and converted to those specifications.  It's much more likely that your friend's rifle is still in it's original M91 form, a lot of people who are relatively unfamilair with Mosins in general will often confuse those two variants.  Either way, $150 for any Remington Mosin rifle would be considered a bargain today.

• Like 3
I bought one back in the 80s that had the barrel cut down to 18 in.Norma was the only source of ammo ( this was before I got into reloading) at $30 a box for 20 rds.I sold it several years later for what I had in it $75.It wasn't months later when the imported ammo started flooding into the US,just my luck

Well I bought it along with about 350 rounds of ammo for 150. I think I did pretty good and now have 2 mosins. I also bought a sks and 1100 Remington from him. I have my eye on some more of his collection.

You didn't just get a good deal...you stole that thing! Congrats on a great buy! Of course it didn't happen unless we see some pictures. This thread should also be moved to the C&R section.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Edited by LCPfraTN
  • Like 1

WARNING - this thread is completely useless without pictures ...

Well here's mine. Well, actually it's my brothers I have at my house.

He bought it in the late 70's, it came sporterized like this, stock chopped, barrel shortened and new front sight, bolt handle bent and no matching numbers. It's a shame it is not in original condition but it shoots fairly well for a rifle made in 1918.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JMH42/media/Rem%20Mosin4_zpszna03n36.jpg.html]Rem%20Mosin4_zpszna03n36.jpg[/URL]

• Like 1

I am trying to figure out how to get a couple of pictures on here. I have them on my computer now but can't figure out how to get them here. Can someone tell me how please?

Go to  www.photobucket.com  and start a free account. You will have a library of all your photo's you upload and when you want to post a photo you just click on it in your library and there will be several URL's to choose from. Posting on a message board choose the image URL.

Edited by K191145

My nefew is a collector, he has a Westinghouse original, several Finnish Mosins, a Dragoon Mosin and an original sniper 91/30 and a few others.

I wouldn't call myself a collector. I got a 91/30 as a gift and really like it. I am a little bit of a Remington fan, and when I seen this one I had to have it.

• Like 1

I wouldn't call myself a collector. I got a 91/30 as a gift and really like it. I am a little bit of a Remington fan, and when I seen this one I had to have it.

You definatly have one more collectable than your standard Ruskie 91/30, the Remingtons are fairly rare.

• Like 1