Need some advice choosing cell phone

Spots

So we are way out of contract on our phones, and decided to finally upgrade. I have verizon for a carrier and like Samsung phones. Right now its down to 4 phones. The Note 4, Note edge, Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge. My phone has all but replaced my laptop for 99% of my internet useage. I also need something 2ith a good camera. Right now I have a Note 2. Anykne know anything about any of the phones list to sway me one way or the other. Im not sure about the edge models, not sure its a feature I would use. Anyone who cares to comment on those models usage is welcome also.

Think about buying a phone straight out.  I bought an unlocked Nexus 5 straight out, and I'm enjoying the savings that come with going month to month, not a 2-year contract where the TELCO is recouping the costs of the phone I got a "deal" on.  I'm also able to change providers at my leisure since the phone is unlocked and I'm not locked into a contract.

Plenty of N5's on Ebay for you to consider if you're interested.

Edited by btq96r

I'm an iPhone guy - can't help there.

Mobile phone providers are part of what I deal with at work, so I have good info.

Looks like both of you are close to Oak Ridge.  I would be very hesitant to change carriers if you have been happy with Verizon.  They make me mad because they cost more, though they really are the best.

Once you move below the two majors, Sprint and T-Mobile are the primary choices.  I would go with T-Mobile over Sprint, but would only do that if most of my time was spent in Nashville, Memphis, Knoxville, Chattanooga or Tri Cities.  

Once you get out of those areas, they probability of good coverage goes down a lot.  It may be that Oak Ridge is good with one of them, but I would want to hear it from several people who use them.

I ended up switching to the Verizon BYOD prepaid plan, and just kept my old phone.  $45 for unlimited calls/texts, 1.5gb data on their network.  With all of this verizon edge, shared, framily, unlimited but limited data plan, leased, easy pay, contract option junk taking over the market, I just got tired of looking.  When this phone breaks, I'll just buy a different one from ebay and swap the sim card in it and stick with the prepaid.

Done with it all I say!

The Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge is the phone to own right now if you are not an Apple guy. It has gotten rave reviews and is expected to give the iPhone a run for it's money.

We've been planning on picking up a pair, and since the phone was released today, we'll probably take the plunge and get them. I'll need to bring a big bag of money though. They are not cheap.

I've been very happy with my Galaxy S3, but it is nearly three years old now, and ever since I moved, I have poor service with Verizon in my house. In fact I usually have to go to the porch to talk. AT&T has a tower I can see from my living room, and everyone that comes over and has service with them gets excellent reception all over my house. Verizon has given me excellent service over the years, but Its frustrating not being able to talk on the cell in my own living room, so that is enough to make me change providers.

• Like 1

I'm an iPhone guy - can't help there.

Mobile phone providers are part of what I deal with at work, so I have good info.

Looks like both of you are close to Oak Ridge. I would be very hesitant to change carriers if you have been happy with Verizon. They make me mad because they cost more, though they really are the best.

Once you move below the two majors, Sprint and T-Mobile are the primary choices. I would go with T-Mobile over Sprint, but would only do that if most of my time was spent in Nashville, Memphis, Knoxville, Chattanooga or Tri Cities.

Once you get out of those areas, they probability of good coverage goes down a lot. It may be that Oak Ridge is good with one of them, but I would want to hear it from several people who use them.

Agree with most of this except T-Mobile has abysmal service here in Chattanooga. Have a friend that switched from Verizon to T-Mobile. He was back in less than two months because of dropped calls. Verizon's coverage is great. I have a service that uses Verizon's network and it's flawless. The only reason I'm not with Verizon anymore is their prices were getting out of control. Happy to use their towers, though!

The galaxy s6 is probably the better deal. The s6 edge costs $100 more and you'll run into problems with not enough cases available for it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an Android Samsung fan over the Iphone. But the S6 packs a much better camera than the Iphone 6. The edge is going to be for those who want fashion more than function.

Both the s6 and s6 edge have the same features, just i wouldn't pay the extra $ for the edge. About the only thing i don't like about the new Samsung Galaxy phones is that they only have internal memory. No external micro sd cards anymore. But the Iphone don't have it either.

Probably the 32 gig is the better deal unless you plan on storing a lot of music or take a lot of photos and never delete them.

Of your choices, I would say you only really have 2 choices, the Note4 or S6 (I have both phones).  The S6 edge is not worth the extra money as the edge does nothing.  The note edge does have a functional edge (ie it is not just a wrap around of the screen) but it is not worth the extra money over the standard note unless you just want the looks.  Between the S6 and the Note4 it would depend on what you want most.  If you want something that is more of a productivity tool then the note 4 hands down.  That s-pen is fantastic.  If you don't see yourself using the pen and don't want the larger screen, then the S6 will be great.

good luck on this. i would look on line for a good used phone.  i am out of contract with verizon and will stay out as long as i can get good used phones when i need one.  i did this once before for years until i needed a smart phone.  so i get a smart phone and went back under the two year contract.  now it is over and i will stay out as long as i can.  verizon is the only one to use in my area.  but as long as you stay close to the city.  when i am in north georgia and alabama it not so good, but the others phone carriers are worst.