Titegroup

Guest southpaw14

Guest southpaw14

I am new to reloading and wanting to make sure that I do everything properly.  I would like yalls input before I load a single round.  I was gifted a reloading setup which included an 8lb jug of titegroup.  The person that gifted it to me had told me that he had reloaded 9mm with it, but was unable to find his old load data.  After looking online at hodgdons load data as well as my Modern Reloading manual I could not find that this powder would work for the 124 gr copper plated bullets that I have.  Am I missing something that would make this powder work, or do I need to get a different powder? Thanks in advance.  

Use the same data as a 125g jacketed bullet. Might not wanna push too hard. There are a lot of people who believe a plated bullet will fail at jacketed pressures and should be treated more like a cast bullet. You're certainly safer using that mentality but it hasn't been so in my experience.
  • Like 1
I got a metric crap ton of plated 147g hollow points from David a while back. I have driven them up to listed max for jacketed with zero issues. Even chronographed them and they are about 975-1000 fps with AA#5.

...but for the record, I don't buy the lie of "cast lead must run slow and low pressure". I routinely use jacketed data for properly prepared cast loads. The key words here...properly prepared.
  • Like 1
This is straight from the Hodgon website (Berry's hollow-back round nose thick plate bullets)

BULLET WEIGHT124 GR. BERB HBRN TP
ManufacturerHodgdon
PowderTitegroup
Bullet Diameter.356"
C.O.L.1.150"
Starting Load
Grains3.6
Velocity (ft/s)957
Pressure27,700 PSI
Maximum Load
Grains4.1
Velocity (ft/s)1,057
Pressure32,700 PSI

From what I've read, Titegroup is a great powder and I have it on strong authority (a Hogdon rep at the NRA convention today) that Titegroup production is being ramped up in hopes people switch from HP 38 and Win 231. If I understood correctly, the way those 2 were manufactured is an older/slower process and Titegroup is easier/quicker. I may switch to it myself when I run out of the 2 above for my 45 acp loads.
  • Like 2

I got a metric crap ton of plated 147g hollow points from David a while back. I have driven them up to listed max for jacketed with zero issues. Even chronographed them and they are about 975-1000 fps with AA#5.

...but for the record, I don't buy the lie of "cast lead must run slow and low pressure". I routinely use jacketed data for properly prepared cast loads. The key words here...properly prepared.

Good for you.  OP is "new to reloading" as he stated.  He needs to stick to the fundamentals like anyone new to any endeavor and I seriously doubt he has a chrono or the patience and time to live life working up loads and pushing the envelope.

Start at the low end of 124/125gr bullets and load 5 and up it a .5gr for 5 more up to mid range loads. Shoot them and see which way you need to go.

For many loads Tite Group has a small range between min and max loads so make sure your powder measure is accurate.

I use a lot of TG lately and have found it to be a good 9mm powder.

Edited by DWARREN123
  • Like 1
TG is one of my favorite pistol powders for two reasons:
1) You can find data somewhere for just about any bullet in any handgun caliber.

2) Low charges weights mean that 8lb jug will net you somewhere between 8,000-15,000 rds.

The downside is that it is very fast, so you generally won't be getting max speeds, especially with heavier bullets. Use caution, start with lighter loads and work up slowly, especially just starting out. Watch your charge weights and check for consistency. Titegroup usually meters very well, but just keep an eye on things.

Also, know that most loads with TG will usually only fill 20-30% of the case. Be careful of a double charge, as you won't see powder spilling out if it happens.
  • Like 1

i use titegroup when i can not get my other go to powders.  i also like the plated bullets when i do not want to cast up a batch.  when i work up a new load i start at the low end and use my chronograph to get where i want to be.  but you are starting out and might not have a chronograph, so i would stay on the low to mid range of the load data.   i have been treating plated bullets the same a jacket when it come to load data.  so far i have not had any problems.  but i do not load anything hot or to the max of the data sheets.  i load my pistol rounds for fun shooting day, not a day of getting beat up by my guns.  

• Like 1