Heard a strange commercial on the radio

• Administrator

Found this online...

Tennessee:  Requires Selective Service registration before acceptance to all state schools. Signed by Gov. Lamar Alexander in 1984. Registration is also required as a precondition for state employment. Gov. Ned McWherter signed this legislation in 1987. On May 29, 2002, Gov. Don Sundquist signed into law a bill which states that a person under the age of 26, who is required to be registered with Selective Service under federal law and who applies for a state driver’s license or renewal, permit, or state I.D. card, consents to automatic registration with the Selective Service System. This law became effective on December 1, 2002. The start date when Selective Service began receiving electronic data transmissions from driver’s license applications was June 2, 2003.

So it sounds like Tennessee just "does it for" 18-year olds now.

But this thread seriously makes me sad that a person can reach adulthood and not know what Selective Service is.  What the hell do they teach in schools these days?  Is Civics no longer part of the curriculum?

• Like 5

Found this online...

But this thread seriously makes me sad that a person can reach adulthood and not know what Selective Service is. What the hell do they teach in schools these days? Is Civics no longer part of the curriculum?

i wouldn't know I was home schooled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I went to the Post Office and signed up the  morning of my 18th Birthday and joined the Navy that same afternoon. 

If you are a man ages 18 through 25 and living in the U.S., then you must register with Selective Service. It's the law. You can register at any U.S. Post Office and do not need a social security number.

http://www.militaryspot.com/resources/military_draft/

I remember registering, but I swear that my guidance counselor came to me at school to give me the card. I had all but forgotten about it until I was in the application process to put myself through the police academy several years ago. It asked for the SSS number and I shrugged it off since I had a DD214. No, I got the call that it was an incomplete application. After a phone call I had it within five minutes; they were very nice people.

Found this online...

But this thread seriously makes me sad that a person can reach adulthood and not know what Selective Service is.  What the hell do they teach in schools these days?  Is Civics no longer part of the curriculum?

Back in the 80's when I signed up, I recall there not being any question by anyone of my age group. every one just KNEW you had to sign up. I don't know if the Gov just did a better job of making that known, or if there was just more of an attitude of loyalty to the country, and that was just a part of it. I suspect that current generations just don't care. Maybe it has to do with being war weary from over a decade of fighting someone.

• Like 1
I signed up at the local post office on my 18th birthday. My best friend laughed at me and shrugged it off.

Day 31 of him being 18 he got a reminder in the mail.

Day 60 he got a nasty certified letter that I never got to read but he suddenly had motivation to go sign up.

It was back in the 80's when I registered with Selective Service.  They sent me a postcard in the mail ahead of my 18th birthday.  *shrug*

I signed up after a few months after I turned 18, never got a reminder in the mail. a couple of months later I reported to basic training. I always wondered if you enlist at 18, would you still have to register, seems that enlisting would take care of that. You have a 6 year service no matter how long your active service is, if you choose 3 years active you are still in the IRR (Individual Ready Reserves) until your 6 year commitment is up.

I signed up after a few months after I turned 18, never got a reminder in the mail. a couple of months later I reported to basic training. I always wondered if you enlist at 18, would you still have to register, seems that enlisting would take care of that. You have a 6 year service no matter how long your active service is, if you choose 3 years active you are still in the IRR (Individual Ready Reserves) until your 6 year commitment is up.

It is an eight year obligation, and active duty does not register if in on your 18 th birthday.

FULL-TIME MILITARY EXEMPTED FROM REQUIREMENT* (See *NOTE below)
Young men serving in the military on full-time active duty do not have to register, if serving continuously from age 18 to age 26. Those attending the service academies do not have to register. However, if a young man joins the military after turning 18 or leaves the military before turning 26, he must register.

Source: https://www.sss.gov/fswho.htm Edited by Patton

It was in effect long before the late 70's. I was required to sign up shortly after my graduation in 1966 and I got my draft notice That my friends and neighbors have selected me to serve in our nations Army and gave me the name of the closest recruiters location. I put the letter in my pocket and drove the a Naval recruiters office and signed up for 4 years in the Navy. After we shook hands I pulled out the letter and asked if he could do anything about it and he said he would take care of it.

Yes and no.  As I read it's history, selective service (or the draft) has been in almost constant implementation since WWI, however Congress has passed numerous laws regarding how it is administered.  At various times, the old requirements were replaced by updated regulations, including the 1975 version which abolished the registration requirement, due to the move to an all-volunteer force.  In 1980, a new law was passed, which retroactively required all males 18 or older who were born on or after Jan. 1, 1960 to register.  With minor modifications, this is the law we are under today, thus the law which required your registration is not the same one that's in effect today.  As an aside, due to the changing laws, since 1917 the only men who were completely exempted form some sort of selective service registration were those born between March 29, 1957 and Dec. 31, 1959 ...

It is an eight year obligation, and active duty does not register if in on your 18 th birthday.

FULL-TIME MILITARY EXEMPTED FROM REQUIREMENT* (See *NOTE below)
Young men serving in the military on full-time active duty do not have to register, if serving continuously from age 18 to age 26. Those attending the service academies do not have to register. However, if a young man joins the military after turning 18 or leaves the military before turning 26, he must register.

Source: https://www.sss.gov/fswho.htm

http://www.apd.army.mil/jw2/xmldemo/r135_91/main.asp

-1. Statutory obligation

a. The statutory MSO is incurred on initial entry into the Armed Forces whether by induction, enlistment, or appointment.

(1) On and after 1 June 1984, all soldiers incurred an 8-year statutory MSO.

(2) Prior to 1 June 1984, most soldiers incurred a 6-year statutory MSO.

Those who enlisted before June 1st 84 only had a 6 year MSO.

I enlisted in 80, got my discharge in 86.

Actually i'm glad it was only a 6 year obligation at that time, in August of 86 I had a compound break of my right femur, had a large rod placed inside it and also a head injury that caused a seizure but not a perminant condition. My right leg never was right after that, my right foot vears to the right to this day. I might have been medically discharged if it was an 8 year obligation.

Edited by K191145

In your pocket? Wow. I don't even have my Hunters Safety Course card anymore. And that was one that I actually used.

We must be around the same age. I turned 18 in '91.

I still have the Hunter's Safety Course card too. Also, there's still a "Get Out OF Jail Free" Monopoly card in there from my youth. So far I haven't had to whip it out, but a guy's gotta be prepared, right?

We are indeed about the same age. I'll be 42 in July.

Edited by gregintenn
how many on here were actually drafted ? I turned 18 in 1971 so was under the lottery. My birthday was #356 . My best friend was a #1, but was medically unfit due to flat feet. None of my friends were drafted that year, as the draft was winding down.

Times have changed. Why don't 18yo girls have to register now?

I turned 18 in June of 1980. Back then the revised requirement was all over the news and was a pretty big deal for us guys. Those of us who were 18 had pretty fresh memories of the mandatory draft and Vietnam.

I was at a party where some obnoxious girl was talking about equality and blah blah blah... I distinctly remember telling her that when she was equal enough to be required to go get killed for the country that I would start worrying a lot more about her equality. I guess my viewpoint was a little distorted. I grew up knowing many successful women business owners. Those women's didn't sit around and cry about equality, they just went out and took it for themselves.

For me, competency has never been about sex or race. It has been, oddly enough, about competency...
  • Like 1
I registered in June of 89 got the card in the mail, filled it out and sent it in and never thought about it again(diabetic). In many ways, I would have gladly served. Wasn't a big deal.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk