Zero Turn recommendations

I have a John Deere 332 riding mower that I like but it isn't what I want to cut my yard. Can't cut when it's wet, harder to cross hatch, slower, etc.. I used to own a Bad Boy ZT which I did not like due to the electric deck pick up and the hyraulics were not smooth. It gave me a bad taste about zero turns in general and swore myself off of them. I am starting to rethink, now that I have my new yard going pretty good. I cut 1 acre twice a week right now, but it will probably be 1.5 acre next year. I can't afford a full commercial model. What brand/model do y'all recommend?

used exmark.  buy once.  you may or may not cry more than once, ... but it won't by while you are mowing --- or when you look back over your nicely cut lawn.

.... whatever you get, have 3 sets of blades (2 to rotate and 1 "beater" set) and change/sharpen them often.  

** edit.   I just saw where you weren't looking for a commercial model.  That would steer me towards Toro (same company as Exmark).  You are looking for a welded deck (not stamped).  Everything else tends to last.

Edited by Peace
  • Like 2

exmark.  buy once.  you may or may not cry more than once, ... but it won't by while you are mowing --- or when you look back over your nicely cut lawn.

.... whatever you get, have 3 sets of blades (2 to rotate and 1 "beater" set) and change/sharpen them often.

This!
Dixon, I've got one I've had for about 13 years.I haven't had any trouble out of it. , still has the factory belts on it.I had one that I traded in on this one, it was 10 years old when I traded it.I never had any trouble out if it .I think Dixon is the original ZTR mower.

I scared to death I'll regret selling it but I can't afford both. It is an all original, still has the front side shields, 3pt arms and only 730hrs

When you decide to sell it let me know. I may not be able to afford it, but I might sell some things so I can. Lol.

Exmark or Kubota Diesel, but both will be expensive.  I think the Bad Boy mowers a like anything else.  If you buy the cheaper versions (i.e. TSC), you don't get as good of quality as you do if you buy one of their higher end models.  My dad has one that has been a pretty good machine overall.  For me, it is no different than John Deere.  Buy from Home Depot or Lowes and you get crap.  One of the biggest things to look for is to make sure that each wheel has it's own hydro.  Some don't.

Fan of Great Dane here.

Working on 15 years with mine and trouble free. Also ran them when I had a mowing business with little to no issues. But you pay for that kind of trouble free, lol.

Good luck with your hunt !

I have a Scag Tiger Cub over 10 years old and only one set of belts and a battery last year. For steeper banks a John Deere 5250 walk behind one year old and no problems. For residential use a lower end commercial will last longer than I will.
  • Like 2
I like Hustler's Fastrak residential model. They're well built. IMO better than others residential models. And they come with Kawasaki engines.

I've ran a lot of Exmark commercial mowers and they've always been pretty great. Hard to beat them.
  • Like 1
I have a Hustler Raptor. It has a fabricated deck and Kawasaki engine. For the warranty and price I couldn't go with anything else. I only mow 2 acres though. The only thing I dislike about mine is the hydraulics are sealed so they aren't serviceable. I believe on the next model up (I forget the name) the hydraulics are serviceable.

got a cub 50" that does fine, but I think I would get something heavier if I had the chance again.  This one can mow at full speed with no issues, but it bounces around too much for my liking when wide open.

^^^   FWIW:  - Anything with a Kawasaki engine is a step up from everything else I've used.

If you find Kawasaki powered, welded deck "yard-inator", go for it.   brand name be danged.  (although I am partial to exmark's older ultracut deck)

Edited by Peace
  • Like 3

Is the scag tiger cub still produced(i can't find one on scag's site) or did the tiger cat replace it? I like the looks, reviews and price of the toro titan mx5400. i've also looked online at the hustler fastrak. How do the hydraulics compare on those three? the welded decks seem similarly built between the models i've read about, so i assume the main difference is going to be in the pumps?

I received a Hustler ad in my newspaper the other day. Their top line model sells for $25,000.00! Ive been meaning to stop by and just look at that. It better have airconditioning or something

for $25k it better mow the grass by itself!!