Zero Turn recommendations

I have a Hustler Raptor. It has a fabricated deck and Kawasaki engine. For the warranty and price I couldn't go with anything else. I only mow 2 acres though. The only thing I dislike about mine is the hydraulics are sealed so they aren't serviceable. I believe on the next model up (I forget the name) the hydraulics are serviceable.

+1

I got a Raptor last year and am happy so far.  For the money, it has the most bang for the buck of all the 42s.  It's hard to find a 42" ZT with non-sealed transmissions.  I think Gravely was the only one I could find and it was $1k more than the Hustler. 

I have a Hustler Raptor. It has a fabricated deck and Kawasaki engine. For the warranty and price I couldn't go with anything else. I only mow 2 acres though. The only thing I dislike about mine is the hydraulics are sealed so they aren't serviceable. I believe on the next model up (I forget the name) the hydraulics are serviceable.

I believe that's the Fastrak I mentioned. The last one I worked on had serviceable hydraulics. They are also available with up to a 60" deck. some "residential" models don't go to 5'. Honestly I didn't see the shortcuts on it to separate it from a commercial model. That's why I said they were more well built than other homeowner or residential ztr's I've been around.
Don't know about the Raptor though.
I will second the Hustler Fastrak. I have a 54 in h with a 26 hp V twin Kawasaki. I had a Gravely before it and liked it but the Hustler seemed to have the right weight distribution. The Gravely seemed a little front heavy and wouldn't get much traction in damp conditions. I love my hustler.
  • Like 1
My Dixie Chopper has about 1100 hours. I bought it used at 590 hours. Its been a great mower but at 1000 hours I had to replace spindle bearings, PTO clutch, and reseal a wheel motor. I did all the work not terribly complicated.
Local dealers will try to bend you over for parts but online shopping isn't bad.

I'd love to find the old Suburban Turbine Dixie Chopper. 72" cut, twin 20 HP motors.
  • Like 1

I am looking more closely at the Toro Titan MX5400 and the Bobcat XRZ. They are both right around $5k. Is one any better than the other? or another in the same price range I should look at closer? I don't know of a BigDog dealer in Murfreesboro, so I haven't looked at them. The Hustler Fastrak is quiet a bit more expensive and I just can't find anything to make it worth $1500 more?? 

I'm not against a used one, but i do worry about the abuse it might have gone thru.

Look for a thick metal deck. Grass will trap moisture as it builds up under the deck. You don't want rust through. Also if you have any areas on a slope around fence corners or house you will need a good tire or it will get stuck from no traction if the grass is wet. These things are heavy. Its not like jumping off a riding mower and picking up the end to get out of a spot.

I changed from the landscape tire to a paddle tire and the traction difference was night and day. The bigger diameter tire the better.
You want filters on your hydro's. Those pumps are expensive!
Other than that I say get the most HP motor you can.

Also in with a Hustler Fastrak HD SD Super Duty. Started mowing my parent's property, as well as mine and a neighbor's - about 6 acres in all. About 7 bills, but they has 0% for 48 months, so a no-brainer.

Edited by ttocswob

I am looking more closely at the Toro Titan MX5400 and the Bobcat XRZ. They are both right around $5k. Is one any better than the other? or another in the same price range I should look at closer? I don't know of a BigDog dealer in Murfreesboro, so I haven't looked at them. The Hustler Fastrak is quiet a bit more expensive and I just can't find anything to make it worth $1500 more?? 

I'm not against a used one, but i do worry about the abuse it might have gone thru.

I actually went down to Murfreesboro to buy my Big Dog :)

Dealers around me (Davidson & Sumner Co) weren't willing to negotiate/deal.  Larry Stovesand (down in Murfressboro) was awesome!  Large inventory, and great people! :)

http://www.tractortn.com/category/57/lawn-equipment/

I bought a Toro Commercial w/ Kawasaki engine 6-7 years ago.  It was significantly less expensive than and Exmark.  I've not had the first problem out of it.  Bought it from SLE just north of you, close to the OHB/murfreesboro intersection.

Edited by ac3boyz

I bought a used Bobcat commercial mower with 150 hours on it a couple of years ago. No problems and I love it. It has a Kawasaki engine, my online research led me to believe they are the preferred engine. I paid the price of a new residential mower for it, but in my opinion it is head and shoulders above the new residential mowers I looked at.

This one is 2yrs old with 800 hrs. It looks to be well maintained. I can get it for a great price. ????

If it was properly maintained, 800 hours isn't much.
Look at the oil, see how dirty it is. Look for play at pivot points and casters. If it's all good I would get it.
I bought an exmark with over 10k hrs on it. I needed to do work to it but the issuers were pivot points. Of course it was dirt cheap and worth it's weight in gold now.
I'm going to jump in and say the Bad Boy mowers aren't bad considering the 54" is only $3500 new. Now I might be slightly biased as I work for TSC and have sold a couple hundred over the last few years. The hydros on the 54 are hydrogear 3100s and while not the smoothest version out there are pretty reliable.
I've owned or drove several brands of z-turns and dollar for dollar the bad boys can hold their own. Many of you are comparing a 5k bad boy to a 8k exmark or similar. That like comparing a RIA to a Sig. It really isn't a fair comparison.